Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Moving to Boise - What do I need to know?

So, the wifey has a couple of good job offers up in Boise, and since she makes the real money around here, we're headed up from SLC at the end of the month.

Been there a few times, but mostly staying with really Mormon family, so I haven't done any of the nightlife type stuff. The plan is to find a place close to downtown, preferably something that's like Sugarhouse in Salt Lake (good restaurants, walk/bike-able, good access to the freeways for work, etc).

I'm leaving my job at 4FRNT in SLC, so I'll need to find something else. I would love to stay in the ski or outdoor industries, but I'm sort of bearish on the possibility of that. Micron and BSU seem to be the big employers there. Anywhere else a marketing guy should be looking at? Seems like there's a fair number of agency-type places, but they all seem pretty small.

Most importantly are my skiing options. I am planning on dropping in on a Bogus pass. Price is right, and they have nigh skiing, yeah? Any good touring terrain around there? Looks like there's a bunch of touring gates out of Bogus. What about in the Sawtooths in general? Worth getting a pass to Tamarack? Is Tamarack even open?

Anything else people in the know want to contribute would be appreciated.

No on the Tamarack pass. Get the Bogus pass. Yes on the Sawtooth's. I ski there weekly and I live in Boise. Long days but so worth it when you tour for 2 months and don't see another group. Snowmobile helps a lot. As far as a place to live not sure of Sugarhouse but Northend is pretty cool. Close mountain biking and close to Bogus. I am sure Conundrum will chime in with more information shortly.

If you like white people, you're gonna love Boise. it's a nice, peaceful place. The boating's not bad. You and 10,000 of your best friends on the roads out of town every weekend.

The north town neighborhood is pretty nice, but I think it's relatively expensive.

Bogus pass is pretty reasonable, though the skiing's not what you'd call challenging. Might be the right place to take up tele.

Sorry for the cynicism, but you won't run into much of that there.

Kind of funny that you mention freeway access. That's a problem I used to worry about BEFORE I moved to Boise. I live in the North End. It's a downtown neighborhood, mostly single family homes on the smallish side. The mountain bike/running trails are three blocks from my house. My downtown office is something like 12 or 15 blocks from my house. There is a two-block long commercial area in the neighborhood called Hyde Park with a few restaurants/bars, a good MTB shop, a Triathlon shop, coffeehouse and the like. wouldn't live anywhere else in this city. The cheapest real estate is, however in Meridian, but that puts you on the freeway, and there's just no reason to live that way in this town.

As to skiing, yes you absolutely should get the Bogus pass. It's 16 miles away, and some winters we even have half-decent snow. Can't answer about touring any more than ski_faster did.

Tamarack may or may not open, which makes the pass a risky proposition.

As to job prospects, we have a lot of smaller and start-up type companies in the tech sector. A lot of these end up doing pretty well. Don't know what kind of "marketing" you do (that's a pretty broad term), but there are opportunities if you're willing to take a risk on a young company. In the outdoor/recreation equipment manufacturing and service fields, Boise is more focused on flyfishing than skiing. Opportunities might exist with companies like Lamson/Waterworks, Buck's Bags, Loon Outdoors, Fly Logic.

We are, fundamentally, and for those of us downtown, a lifestyle town. We live here because it's big enough to make a living, small enough to know our neighbors, and because we want to get outdoors.

Welcome to Boise, don't be an ass.

Good stuff. North end sounds sweet (pretty much like Sugarhouse in SLC), and the Bogus/touring option should keep me busy enough in the winter.

Meadow, I live in Utah, so I'm not afraid of white people, don't worry

I'm a happily mediocre fly fisherman, so maybe I can parlay that into some work. I've also worked with a bunch of tech agencies in the past, so that sort of stuff isn't entirely unfamiliar. Not sure the best place to find job openings up there though. Craigslist and LinkedIn are pretty sparse.

Have you thought about applying at REI?

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Meadow, I live in Utah, so I'm not afraid of white people, don't worry
    Right, I should have caught that. You'll be okay - also, my impression is that there's a lot less crime there than SLC, so enjoy!

I'd divorce her. You'll thank me in a few years.

One place to look is startuphire.com. THey have current listings for sales and engineering jobs with Cradlepoint, a company I know a little about, with strong potential upside. You might also do some research on the Boise Greenhouse, a business incubator tha tis starting to spawn some startups and jobs. The Idaho Statesman (www.idahostatesman.com) is our local paper, and some people still use classifieds. Like any job search, trying to use your personal network is gonna be the best way to do.

General info: There are all sorts of neighborhoods that are cool for their own reasons. I'd be happy to show you around. Having hung out a little in the downtown area in SLC some, I would say the North End here is like the Avenues there. There are pockets of Sugar House in Boise but much smaller. The biking access is ridiculous if you are into XC with some mediorce shuttling around but nothing to brag about.

The fly fishing is crazy in certain place so find someone with a raft or drift boat. Drive time 0-3 hours puts you in some of the best fishing in the west.

Skiing-Bogus is cheap, close, and open at nights. It takes character to put a lot of days in there but they always seem to add up. Tamarack is crapshoot. The homeowners association lost some cash on it last season so who knows if it will open. The terrain is fairly flat unless you hike, you won't see anybody, and the snow can be. Brundage can be great. If it starts snowing there, buy the first timers pass and ski mellow pow trees all winter for not much money.

Jobs. Tough to say without knowing what you are looking for. I could answer some questions offline and maybe make some recs. for places to look.

I personally like the bar scene here better than there and a bunch of new craftbeer houses are opening up.

Feel free to hit me up when it gets closer to you moving. I'm traveling some but should be around some too.

my family have parked it in boise for 20+ years now and haven't moved away. hyde pk. neighborhood is great for living boise proper, suburbs are more hit and miss except garden city, stay clear of garden city it is a miss.
    dawson taylor for coffee
    co-op for food supplies
    barbacoa for hot rock steak

Damn, sorry to hear that.....vibes. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...highlight=wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

That's the stupidest post I've read on TGR, yet. Which is saying something. Save it for pollyasshat.

I am a Tamarack local , I dont care what the maggots say . More snow than Bogus less than Brundage but on the Summit its tit for tat . The north run is the best sidecountry in the area , period . Rains sometimes . Corns up early too . Inbounds , groomers are funner than Brundage , Some cool stuff inbounds too . When you go fast on smooth snow its fun . We like cool people who like to have fun . If you are an aggro powder guy all bent out of shape , we will laugh at you "yell go back to alta" or brundage or whatever then pass you on the flats and laugh again . Tamarack is flat when you ski slow . May or may not be open . Has been 4 days a week last 2 seasons .

Brundage gets best snow . Gets cut up quick by all the McCall 8 run and dunners . Leftovers for days . I go to Brundage too but I will never be a local there . I have been too many places , dont make powder 8's and am not narrow minded enough .

I'll show a new guy around no problem , Brundage or tam , I'll take you anywhere at Brundage no holds barred . Tam it will be a selective process .

SW Idaho sled access = top 10 in the 48 . For access ,stabilty ,and acreage .

If you are expecting any lift served to be anything like Salt lake you are going to have to huff it in Stanely , caused ALL the lift served sucks here going by TGR standards .

SW Idaho is really awesome and it probably is the next best place . With geothermal,whitewater,lakes,rivers,access, and good snow/shit ski hills/right wingers(keeps out extremo) . There isnt many places left .

If I had to live in the city I'd just move down to Boise.

Flame on .

I like Boise a lot! In college, I got hooked up with a bunch of ripping skiers that grew up skiing Bogus and all lived in the Ranch.
    Get a boat and a permit for the Middle Fork next year! Good Luck!

There's some good stuff in here. Thanks everyone.

Connudrum, I may take you up on that once we get into town. We're crashing at the in-laws for a couple of weeks so we don't have to rush our new place.

I'll just going to run around telling people to "Stay away from my powder!" and cut people off in line while wearing an Alta hoodie.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Moving to Boise - What do I need to know?

Lotsa nazis in Idaho. You might want to learn how to goosestep.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Your skis are going to be too wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Your skis are going to be too wide.
    Nah. They'll be just right 3 or 4 days a year. Those just won't be the days he's able to ski, or, worse, he'll be able to but a school bus will slide and block both lanes of BB road.

One word: Conundrum.

My work here is done.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Sorry didn't see this until now:

North end is the most liberal/outdoor/chill minded hood for sure. But everyone knows it and it can be expensive in places.
    The east end, although certainly quieter is worth checking out.
    Both have good access to the foothills. North end is closer to Bogus.
    hiking, trail running, mountain biking all within minutes of both hoods.

stay away from the burbs, unless you like having to deal with traffic in an area where it is 100% avoidable.

Lots of fly fishing opportunities within a couple hours. wide array of class II-V whitewater, all less than 3 hours away. some of the best multi-day raft trips in the country, including IMO the best in the world (MF Salmon)

the most important, ski options:
    Definitely on Bogus pass. Forget Tamarack. Brundage gets the best snow of the bunch, but I've always been underwhelmed by the mountain...everything gullies out so you end up doing tons of short shots linked with traverses.

Once you learn bogus, it can be a good time. With even a 3-4" of new I can show up early, tour a couple laps either in surrounding stashes or midweek under the closed lifts, then ride lifts for 2-3 hours while finding fresh the whole time. home and showered by 1pm. but alas...lack of steep.
    There are touring options from the bogus gates, but nothing compare to where you are coming from. very little of it feeds back to the resort, so if you are really looking to tour you'd best be served driving north. That being said I've had plenty of weekend "pow day" lift served mornings followed by a solid pm tour. I've seen most all of the options and there is fun to be had...conditions permitting.
    And night skiing can be fun, bring some brews. A portion of the nordic trails are lit as well. Can be nice to head up for an evening skate ski/workout, if you're into that.

I'd be happy to show you around when I'm back in Boise in Dec.

Side note: didn't realize there were so many mags around Boise...would love to meet and shred.

It's small and I am easy to please and a bit stupid, but I really like Brundage.

Bogus was good and fun. The road is a bit much for me - but it's right there so what do you do?

Ski. Sawtooths suck. They all burned. And still burning. No. Don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Bumping this as I am interviewing for Boise positions.
    Lots of mags still in Boise?
    Is North End still the place to live?

And where is everyone touring right now with the lower snow fall?

And can you get good turns at Banner Summit / Sawtooths without a sled?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

You can hang out with Pio. Just dont let him drive.

Bunny won't visit you there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy