Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Boise is headquarters for IJJGA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

All good recs so far. I'd add Flying M for coffee. Goldy's or Bacon for breakfast. Might be lines though. Capital Cellars used to have a great breakfast but not sure they still serve in the morning. Plenty of lunch places. Dinner-we're actually getting a big enough mix to ask what type of food you're looking for and do you want to walk or drive to eat. Plenty of chains around but the local stuff is better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Boise is headquarters for IJJGA.

Name:  IMG_9462.JPG
Views: 1046
Size:  100.8 KB

I've had great breakfast at Trillium, with no wait. All the other rec's people are sharing seem spot on. I've always lucked out with restaurants in Boise too.

Haven't seen it mentioned otherwise, Woodland Empire Brewery was a favorite when I'd visit Boise.

Skip the Boise aquarium though.

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Name:  IMG_9462.JPG
Views: 1046
Size:  100.8 KB
    My pic, for sure from America. Absolutely not Canada.

IJJGA. I know that guy. Don't understand IJJGA. Can someone explain it? Don't want to ask him and be mocked.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    My pic, for sure from America. Absolutely not Canada.
    That’s awesome. I couldn’t remember where I mined it when researching sleds. Must have been your comments on sled skiing. Sent it to my IJJGA buddy who got a kick out of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220113_203305.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	401066

sigless.

Hit up Bar Gernika for a delicious dinner and walked around downtown. This town is nice, driving through the rest of Central Idaho was not. Thanks for the recommendations and I'll try to check out a few more places.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 01-14-2022 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    That’s awesome. I couldn’t remember where I mined it when researching sleds. Must have been your comments on sled skiing. Sent it to my IJJGA buddy who got a kick out of it.
    That crew has been through golden a few times. They hooked me and my bro up with some sweet stickers and patches. We are founding members of the Golden BC chapter haha. The journey is the journey!

I couldn't find a better Boise thread to bump so here we are again. I'll be in town in two weekends for my daughter's climbing competition and need some recommendations. We'll be staying at the Hilton-Meridian/Boise West. Good, close, coffee shops/breakfast places, lunch and dinner? I don't drink so we can skip breweries. I assume this trip is more suburban hell hole and less nice, gentrified downtown. Thanks.

Epi's on Main St. in Meridian has really good Basque food. Take your big check book though, it is not inexpensive. Downtown Meridian is nice. Decent coffee at Deja Brew Laugh a Latte and they actually serve interesting burgers in the evening and often have live music.

Really close to you-Griddle-greasy spoon breakfast. Los Betos-giant quick breakfast burritos that are filling and edible. Lots of dinner places within 20 minutes from you but I'm not familiar with anything local and good right in the area. I'm more of a downtown snob because I live down there and don't drive to many dinners.

If you want true suburbia hell, The Village is an outdoor mall with all types of chain-ish restaurants that will be near you. That have a Texas Roadhouse, a Yardhouse, and a Matador for decent Mexican.

If you want to travel about 15 minutes there is a Goodwood BBQ that’s pretty good. My wife used to manage that place BITD.

Any mags want to meet up for a beer sometime this week or go on a tour next weekend? I'm finally moving into my apartment on Monday after starting a new (remote) job in the area in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    If you want true suburbia hell, The Village is an outdoor mall with all types of chain-ish restaurants that will be near you. That have a Texas Roadhouse, a Yardhouse, and a Matador for decent Mexican.

If you want to travel about 15 minutes there is a Goodwood BBQ that’s pretty good. My wife used to manage that place BITD.
    If there's a place worse than hell, that's what the Village is.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    If there's a place worse than hell, that's what the Village is.
    Ha

The Goose is very much Loose; or "Boosie goes to Boise"

Signed a letter of intent yesterday for a 3-year deal at THE Coughlin Clinic (foot & ankle ortho job halftime at St. Al's Nampa, halftime at St. Al's Boise). Pretty freaking stoked. Should be starting work in October and rolling into town with hot wife and this little bacon-munchin' badass gangster probably in early September.

Name:	Willehboi is RTS.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	998.9 KB 
ID:	448928

Name:	Willehboi POST STOMP.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	985.2 KB 
ID:	448929
    (Yes those pants I learned to ski in, in 1991, are a family heirloom )

https://youtube.com/shorts/yzd3qBjaKP0?feature=share

Let the housing search begin (with several parameters...)

Would be hugely grateful to get schooled (pun intended) on Boise school district vs. West Ada school district, since a could-easily-be-a-surgeon-or-similar-one-day level of education for above lil' gangsta is probably the wife's #1 deciding criterion on selecting a neighborhood to focus the housing search.

From my standpoint, when I came to town first time I was pretty enthralled with new construction in Meridian in neighborhoods like Sky Mesa and Century Farm, figuring that's the halfway point between the two hospitals. On our second look though, I heard school districts in Boise are better than Meridian and honestly wouldn't mind being a bit closer to Bogus, trying to be < 15-20 min to St. Al's Boise and < 25-30 to St. Al's Nampa (going "the right way" with traffic). So Harris Ranch and the East End took my eye last weekend. (Wife called Meridian “too industrial” and “downright depressing”, particularly when fueled by fear that the schools there suck or at least are not very good).

The wife loved the "walkable feel" of being in a townhome smackdab in the middle of Pasadena from 2021-2022 so was intrigued by being close to the Green Belt, but I got pretty claustrophobic driving around the North End and what I think was Collister (e.g., a few minutes northeast and east of downtown, off 13th). I know in Suburbia like Meridian the houses are similarly close together but maybe it’s the lack of oldgrowth trees, subconsciously apparent distance from downtown, and newer construction in general that just didn’t make it feel viscerally so “close” to me.
    Propertywise, we definitely need at least 4 bedrooms plus an office, ideally 5 and would love to snag > 3000 sqft for under 800-900k (probably minimum 2500sqft for maximum $1M), which doesn't seem impossible if we look carefully, in several different areas.

The wife obviously got stoked on all the Mom-serati SUVs, boutique bougie shops, and fancy water features amidst the planned communities in Eagle like the Legacy neighborhood, but my initial impression was that you would be adding an additional 100 - 150k onto your price tag just for the zip code itself (without much square footage, ski proximity, work proximity, or other bits of what I would consider intrinsic property value). Which is fine if she’s happy and the property doesn’t feel annoyingly small for the pricetag, but only if the schools are that much better and if the commute to St. Al’s Boise isn’t particularly grating…

So we've got about 6 months to find a lender, decide on an agent (we've got a couple in the running), learn about the school systems, decide on a neighborhood, find some properties, look, put in an offer, and close...

All that said, would be awful grateful for some discernment of where to start paring down based on school systems. I guess the easiest way to start would be to ask: do all the schools in Meridian suck? For newer neighborhoods like Sky Mesa and Century Farms south of the interstate and north of Lake Hazel, are there truly "Good" schools from K all the way to 12? Or if we are hardcore focused on education, do we need to look elsewhere? And is that "elsewhere" for sure in Eagle? If not, what parts of Boise that give some "breathing room" on the property and a not ridiculous price tag with some proximity to shopping/amenities but not on top of your neighbor would be best places to focus?

I know people (wouldn’t call them close friends) who live in these 3 neighborhoods but didn’t really visit and know pretty much nothing about them, so comments appreciated:
    - Highlands (ortho surgeon almost 10 yrs into his career, suspect this out of our price range)
    - Foothills East (young ENT surgeon, former pro skier turned rad golf dad with 6 kids)
    - The Bench (PhD geologist, rad skier and newly pregnant wife)

I've looked up some school district maps and asked around a bit to some local people and realtors we've started to deal with, but in my experience, no one gives more brutal (and hilarous) honesty than the Maggots. Hard to know just where to start reliably...

Many thanks, and look forward to seeing you all around Bogus, Split Rail/other wineries, school functions, hiking/biking the foothills, and (hopefully not) the St. Al's ED/foot & ankle clinics...

Finally, I will taint everyone's experience preemptively by facetiously and only semi-privately referring to my new super-rad home as "Boise-BadAzz". Cuz y'all foolz know I can' change ma wayzeeee...
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

I work for Boise School District and the quality of the education product is far superior than West Ada's. That being said, my children went to St. Mark's and Bishop Kelly whose education product is superior than BSD's. East end or north end Boise schools are superior to west side and south side. Timberline (E) and Boise (N) High Schools produce way more National Merit Scholars than Capital (W) and Borah (S) High Schools. South side schools have larger immigrant populations and more often than not are Title 1. BSD football is an embarrassment to football. Borah and Capital used to be football power houses but have been irrelevant for quite some time. West Ada football seems to be on the rise. As you can tell I like football.
    More cowbell!!!

How soon before Boise becomes part of Oregon in the great state land swap?

Congrats! There’s lots of mags who live in Boise still, but I can give my $.02 from the couple years I lived there.

For access to Bogus and to biking, nothing beats the North End. That’s where I lived and absolutely loved it. Very walkable/bike able to downtown/green belt, and the fall time is absolutely gorgeous when the trees turn.

That being said, if that’s not your vibe that’s understandable, but might be worth keeping an eye out as there are lots that are fairly big tucked away here and there. Although, a million dollars isn’t what it used to be in that area.

Not sure about schools in the area, but my in laws live in the area that’s like Victory Road and Maple Grove/ Five Mile. Lots of big houses (more established as opposed to new construction) and it’s fairly close to freeways and downtown.

LMK if you’d like a realtor suggestion. Ours were amazing and he’s a ski instructor trainer up at Bogus.

[delete
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    How soon before Boise becomes part of Oregon in the great state land swap?
    There was an Idaho state rep lately who stated she was in favor of it so that the Idaho border wouldn't be so close to Ontario, Oregon where people can get weed and abortions. So by moving the border West....well, I guess you're still next door to Oregon, Nevada, Washington and Montana where you can get abortions and devil's cabbage. That's thing about borders...they're always there and no matter where you put them, you're still surrounded by them.

A different rep introduced a bill to outlaw secret injections of human vaccines into our food. Because, um you know, they're always filling out foods with COVID vaccines.

This is the quality of legislature we enjoy here. Clinically moronic.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Gernika

Goseyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.