Thread: School me

School me

Never paddled anything other than a canoe growing up.

I live right down the street from here.

Know jackfuckall about paddling. It is the ocean but it's in a cove and tons of opportunities to paddle more inland. Looking for something cheap to just cruise around on. Will be using a dolly to get it to the end of my street.

Like I said, I have canoed in the past, dabbled in surfing (long board only) and have a great sense of balance. Is it true i want a sit in rather than a sit on? Don't expect to see anything other than maybe slightly choppy at most.

Want to keep it cheap as I am saving up for a real boat next year, but would like to putt around the next couple months on my own power.

Any advice?
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 08-12-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Buy all means(pi) get a regular sea kayak, ie sit inside. A plastic boat should be fine for you for now and if launching and returning to a rocky shore that will be a big saving.

Your weight and size is important as a smaller boat does not fit a larger paddler but you probably already know this.

Take a look at Wilderness systems boats.
    watch out for snakes

I am 5'8" and 155lbs. Like I said, I know jackshit. I was looking at an Old Town Dirigo 106? Is this anything like I want? Really I have no clue when it comes to this stuff. 100% JONG.

Remember, I want to try to keep it relatively cheap as I don't know how I'll take to it. If I decide I'm stoked and want to continue I don't mind spending more.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 08-13-2012 at 07:02 AM.

You have room to store a long-ass sea kayak, or are you looking for a short "rec" boat?

I have a backyard that I could wrap it in a tarp from day to day but long term storage would be in the basement. Storage isn't a problem.

But I think I'm more looking for something small, semi stable and just something I can play on. really, I won't be getting into anything serious and don't need speed.
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 08-13-2012 at 07:16 AM.

I've had a Necky Looksha sport for the past decade. Decent size, turns on a dime but can handle the rough pretty well. I think it about 14, not super long. As mentioned wilderness makes some good boats. I'd recommend a boat that can do and handle a wide range. You will like it, it's fun to go on a short paddle after a long day and have a couple of beers. also fun to go on hours long explorations.

Don't know about your area but there are often good deals on Craigslist.

Just look for a used Dagger play boat.

Like Scotty said, a sit-in is better for cool water than a sit-on-top. Recommend you buy a used rotomolded (one molecule up from a garbage can) boat. They are way cheaper than a glass or Kevlar boat, and still hold their resale value. Good brands include Wilderness Systems, Necky, Current Designs and Perception. How you fit into the boat is more important than brand. You use your hips a lot for manuvering so you want it to be snug without taking mass amounts of skin off your shins as you get in.

Basic rule is the shorter the boat, the harder (more work) it is to keep it going in a straight line. That 10.5' Old Town is gonna take a lot of energy to make it go where you want, especially when you are new to 'yaking and if there's a breeze. For bay and lake paddling I'd go 14 feet or longer.

Don't wrap it up if you leave it outside between paddles - unless you want to new life forms to grow in the cockpit. Just turn it upside down and it will be fine

watch out for snakes

Thanks for all the info guys. It's searching time!

So this is down the road... would it be something up my alley?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/spo/3192293833.html

I'm 15 years removed from paying attention to kayaks, so I can't speak about the price, but yea thats the kind of boat you should be looking at. Just make sure you fit.

A popular boat, would work for you. I would get a better paddle and roof rack eventually. Try it and see how it feels to you.
    watch out for snakes

If you're going to be paddling more than a couple hundred yards from shore, learn how to do a self rescue at the least, or take some roll classes. If you flip further from shore than you can swim, and can't get back in the boat, you could be in some trouble.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    So this is down the road... would it be something up my alley?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/spo/3192293833.html
    That would be a great learner boat. It has been stored out of the sun which is key. The sealed hatches work well for carrying beer and whiskey, plus they are ~waterproof if you tip over-the boat won't fill up w/water. Only things you'd need are a PFD and possibly a pump.

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    If you're going to be paddling more than a couple hundred yards from shore, learn how to do a self rescue at the least, or take some roll classes. If you flip further from shore than you can swim, and can't get back in the boat, you could be in some trouble.
    Good call. Once you started into the bigger water you'll want a good spray skirt, pump and paddle float, plus the bit of training on using them...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

You might want to check around in your area to see if there is any kayak classes offered, particularly a rolling class. Ideally, if you can find one where they supply the boat, I would take the class before buying anything. The instructor in the class will know probably about the local boat market and will be able to give you advice on where to find something reasonable (probably used) in your area.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

For sea kayaking there are a several options, you can do point to point, tidal runs or head out into the wide open in what ever weather.

It sounds cliche but do check into a club or class to touch base with the locals. P to P generally involves camping and hauling said gear. Tide runs are just that, ride the tide up the inlet and ride it back out. For the brave you can head out on the briney blue, I have a bud who goes out in storms to ride the swells.
    watch out for snakes

A rec boat in the 12-14 ft range is a good beginner flat water craft

Think soft adventure, really you don't want to be anywhere you need to roll a sea kayak, while I can roll my 17 ft full on sea kayak I never do it other than as a Hollywood move to impress the MILF's out at the lake because rolling a sea kayak is not what sea kayaking is about and honestly I gotta wonder if I could roll a seakayak fully loaded with 3 weeks of gear and besides most peopel don't out fit a seakayak well enough to be able to roll it

My buddy a class 5 creek boater has spent probably 9 months of the last10 yrs in sea kayaks all up and down the BC & AK coast with not even one roll cuz we take a marine band radio to get weather updates at 16:00 every day, go out when it is a good idea to do so, statistically the really dangerous part of seakayaking or even ski touring is playing with sharp knives/walking around while drunk or the big one ... driving to /from the ocean or the mountains
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-18-2012 at 08:48 PM.