Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    HA!!!!!!
    Mobile AL!!??!! I was convinced it was gonna suck.
    Dude you need to go out and party. I was there in the shipyard for 100 days and needed a break after 30 days of going out. We hit all sorts of shit around there. Only sorry we bailed on the Steel shop supervisor when we were invited to some cock fights up north. As soon as my buddy( gay) got us plugged into the "friendly" community down there my throttle was pinned. Nothing like a gay wingman to get the straight ladies warmed up! you missed out.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Didn't go there for work and maybe not obscure if you're a Swede, but Marstrand is really cool. It's an island off the west coast of Sweden north of Gothenburg. I have a feeling there are lots of cool places like it on the coast of Sweden. There are tons of islands off the coast of Sweden and Swedes love their vacation cabins!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Altus Oklahoma? I think not sir! There is no saving that town.
    You're obviously not a climber. Some of the best granite that has ever revealed itself to humanity is a very short drive from Altus. It's not as cool as Meers, Ok though.

Marfa is a bit of a bourg-town.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    Marfa is a bit of a bourg-town.
    Bourg? I'm unfamiliar with that adjective.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    You're obviously not a climber. Some of the best granite that has ever revealed itself to humanity is a very short drive from Altus.
    The Wichita "Mountains" (hills) around Quartz Lake? Or somewhere else?

Never heard of anybody climbing there, that's cool. A bit of hiking, bike riding and lake stuff but that's all I'd ever heard of. Spent 6 months there. Used to climb, but that was a long time ago.

I got to go into one guy's old Atlas missile silo though, he was trying to convert it into a home. That was different...tornado proof and cool year round!

Ellicott City, MD
    New Hope, PA

This room I have for rent
    Oh yeah, Tip, New Hope is cool. Piedmont, NY is nice. Dillon, MT. The actual town of Woodstock, NY.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Badgastein austria, fun little town, OK skiing, loads of swedish chicks working in the town...

Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Likely, BC

Skowhegan

You don't even have to add the "Maine", there's only one.

Thermopolis, WY and Yankton, SD (only during pheasant hunting season)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

thermopolis is tight
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    thermopolis is tight
    Do your tentacles extend to there?

New Mexico, as a whole. Madrid, Galisteo, Espanola, Abiquiu all pop into my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Petoskey Mi.
    2nd this, but there's a lot of western coastal michigan thats great.

also, highlands, NC and cherokee, NC; i would give up skiing if the trade was living there year round.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Las terranes Dominican republic.
    Grand lake co
    San Sebastian Spain
    Licking the taint is pretty damn obscure.
    Reverse cowgirl
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Skowhegan

You don't even have to add the "Maine", there's only one.
    Mutants everywhere, but fun.

Yay. Another windowlicker who doesn't understand that video is a horizontal medium. Man that was painful to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    ... highlands, NC and cherokee, NC; i would give up skiing if the trade was living there year round.
    Hah! Good friend of mine (now some kinda Lawyer) lives in Highlands and hired a local as his driver. He commutes to Atlanta 3-4 days a week, about a 2.5 hr drive each way. He got one of those slightly stretched Town Cars and put a working desk in the back. Internet via 3/4G, cellphone, coffee maker... what else do you need?

He has a bar/beer fridge and a ... stash... for the ride home, and gets to live in a gorgeous place while still being close enough to "civilization" to make a great living doing what he likes and is good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Yay. Another windowlicker who doesn't understand that video is a horizontal medium. Man that was painful to watch.

Hah! Good friend of mine (now some kinda Lawyer) lives in Highlands and hired a local as his driver. He commutes to Atlanta 3-4 days a week, about a 2.5 hr drive each way. He got one of those slightly stretched Town Cars and put a working desk in the back. Internet via 3/4G, cellphone, coffee maker... what else do
    very jealous !

I wouldnt commute, even with a driver; but i'm a programmer; i ought to be able to eventually find a full time telecommute job; but if i find that; its breckeridge or tahoe.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Walla Walla, WA- I was only there for a few hours, but we had excellent wine and food. Wasn't expecting much from Eastern Washington.

Pacifica, CA- Despite being part of the Bay Area, it doesn't seem to get much attention. I like the vibe.

Lee Vining, CA- Not obscure among these parts, but it's got the best gas station food this side of Texas, Mono Cone, an ugly but well-known lake, and great skiing and climbing.

Downieville, CA- Not obscure among mountain bikers, but it's kind of a cool, weird little town.

Malawi- Super fun little southern African country.

Syria- Granted, now isn't the time. But it's otherwise a great place to travel. Spent about 3 weeks there in 2002. It's got amazing history and super friendly people. Anyhow, it's not exactly obscure, but few people think of it as a place they'd like to visit.

Leeds, UK- Lived there for a year in 1997/98 and loved the place. Again, not so much obscure as surprisingly nice.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    ...if i find that; its breckeridge or tahoe.
    now waitaminnit, you just said you'd give up skiing if you could move to NC and if you got that telecommuting job you could do that...come clean man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    The Wichita "Mountains" (hills) around Quartz Lake? Or somewhere else?

Never heard of anybody climbing there, that's cool. A bit of hiking, bike riding and lake stuff but that's all I'd ever heard of. Spent 6 months there. Used to climb, but that was a long time ago.

I got to go into one guy's old Atlas missile silo though, he was trying to convert it into a home. That was different...tornado proof and cool year round!
    See, it is cool.

But really Quartz Mountain is the best granite ever, excepting some unknown places in southern new Mexico, that certain rock climbing legends who later moved to Yosemite developed.

Wichitas are pretty fun too, just for the fact of close proximity to water, and climbable all winter. Fucking scary routes abound at both areas.

Bourgouigis-town. It came from an old Leadbelly tune, we just chopped off the French part.

Once you escape the res-lands, most rural new Mexican towns can be fun:

Pie town
    Gila
    Truth or consequences
    Playas (it's an antiterrorist training ground!)

Tembagapura, Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    HA!!!!!!
    Mobile AL!!??!! I was convinced it was gonna suck.
    Dude you need to go out and party. I was there in the shipyard for 100 days and needed a break after 30 days of going out. We hit all sorts of shit around there. Only sorry we bailed on the Steel shop supervisor when we were invited to some cock fights up north. As soon as my buddy( gay) got us plugged into the "friendly" community down there my throttle was pinned. Nothing like a gay wingman to get the straight ladies warmed up! you missed out.
    Clearly I need better (or worse) friends. I went out a few times, but remained relatively sober. We ate here one night: http://kitchen.truedine.com/. If you're in Mobile, I HIGHLY recommend it

But, my impression of Mobile is similiar to my impression of many "historical" towns in the South (Mobile, Savannah, GA, and New Orleans come to mind): there's a few square blocks of Southern mansions (which are beautiful), but outside of that, it's usually dirty and run-down (and can be quite dangerous). It was also unbearably HOT and HUMID.

(Note: I would give a thousand nods to Mobile over Victoria, Texas...which, aside from oil, has absolutely no reason for existing)

As I said: I guess I'm just not a fan of the South.

-Smarty
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.