Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best cast ever?

Best cast ever?

Just finished a round of golf, poured a Jamesons and turned on the tube. Boom, The Deer Hunter just started. Its gotta be top 10 for best cast of all time, no?

well, it's certainly no Expendables 2.

Not even close.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

You're right blow'd...It's no Fast and Furious.

Hugh Conway Guest
    The Deer Hunter always struck me as trying to outdo the Godfather in every respect and came up just short in every respect. Good collection of actors, not a great cast if you will

meh, I'll take The Jeffersons.

For comedy, it's got to be Best In Show's acting troop... Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, Jane Lynch, Parker Posey, and of course, Fred Willard. They worked amazingly well together especially when you consider Best in Show's dialogue was mostly improvised.

A seriously funny body of work, too: This is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, A Mighty Wind, etc.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

The Big Chill.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Fishing forum JONG

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    You're right blow'd...It's no Fast and Furious.
    You're missing the point. While a great movie, the cast is pretty meh in all regards. Shit, the Oceans movies have better casts. Pulp Fiction? The Departed? Heat? True Romance? The Godfather? Apocalypse Now?

I don't care what you think of those movies, they all smoked The Deer Hunters cast. And I could name dozens more. Call out the movie for what it is but your assertion is way off base in every regard.
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 08-09-2012 at 08:19 AM.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Coppola: Godfather, Apocalypse now

Always thought True Romance was perfectly cast.

Christian Slater, Michael Rapaport effectively playing himself although he didn't know it at the time, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman in arguably the best performance by a Brit pretending to be black, Samuel L. Jackson in a brief role talking about eating pussy, a very subtle and stoned Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Chris Penn, Gary Sizemore and Bronson Pinchot. Not sure what the hell else Patricia Arquette has done, so she gets left off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full-body-cast.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	119138

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I think there are a few categories on this:
    1. Best Cast Before they were big
    2. Best Cast Acting Terribly
    3. Best Cast at the Top of their Game

Southland Tales could fall into the Best Cast Acting Terribly category, but I'm a big fan of the film and don't agree with many that hated it. Perhaps Most Intriguing Ensemble Cast might be more fitting.

The Rock
    Sean William Scott
    Jon Lovitz
    Justin Timberlake
    Sarah Michelle Gellar
    John Larroquette
    Kevin Smith
    Cheri Oteri
    Amy Poehler
    Will Sasso
    Mandy Moore
    Janeane Garofalo

I think there are a few categories on this:
    1. Best Cast Before they were big
    2. Best Cast Acting Terribly
    3. Best Cast at the Top of their Game

Like that idea

I think it's a very good cast but that Deer Hunter is less than the sum of its parts. Great actors and some great scenes, though, especially the parts with John Cazale. Does any actor have a higher batting average?

-The Godfather
    -The Conversation
    -The Godfather Part II
    -Dog Day Afternoon
    -The Deer Hunter
    -Dying of cancer in 1978

That last one was sort of a bad career move.

I love the cast of Out of Sight, which I think is super-underrated. Unexpected Michael Keaton is always a good casting move and Jennifer Lopez is actually perfect for the part, as is George Clooney. Steve Zahn, Don Cheadle, Albert Brooks, Ving Rhames, Luis Guzman, Katherine Keener with Steven Soderburgh directing an Elmore Leonard script.

Advres- the Oceans movies, are you kidding me? Those movies have very famous casts but it's not like, Wow, only Matt Damon could play that guy, perfect casting choice there.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Always thought True Romance was perfectly cast.

Christian Slater, Michael Rapaport effectively playing himself although he didn't know it at the time, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman in arguably the best performance by a Brit pretending to be black, Samuel L. Jackson in a brief role talking about eating pussy, a very subtle and stoned Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Chris Penn, Gary Sizemore and Bronson Pinchot. Not sure what the hell else Patricia Arquette has done, so she gets left off.
    You forgot Val Kilmer, he played Elvis.

Princess Bride

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Advres- the Oceans movies, are you kidding me? Those movies have very famous casts but it's not like, Wow, only Matt Damon could play that guy, perfect casting choice there.
    It's an all-star cast. I never said it was the cast that needed to be in the movie. You think they couldn't have found some burnt out stoner looking dude to play Brad Pitts role in True Romance? This isn't about the perfect person for the role, its about great ensembles of cast members in a single movie.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You forgot Val Kilmer, he played Elvis.
    Not sure how I forgot that.

I know some people might want to mention Glengarry Glen Ross but I fall asleep every damn time I watch it. Small but excellent group of actors: Al Pacino, Kevin Spacey, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, and Ed Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    This isn't about the perfect person for the role, its about great ensembles of cast members in a single movie.
    Then we're looking at it from different perspectives. But the Brad Pitt example is kind of a good one- he's really good in that movie, and it's not like he was super famous when that movie was made. So it's a great cast because of the casting choices, not because of the names on the IMDB page.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    So it's a great cast because of the casting choices, not because of the names on the IMDB page.
    yeah, I think the goal of the OP was most big names that played together kinda OK. My further nominations: Royal Tenenbaums (really most of the Wes A movies) , Dazed & Confused

^^Tenenbaums has a solid cast, and it would be difficult to do a better casting job.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.