Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    You guys can take ours out sometime if you want. We might sell them. Just not getting the use this year. Bikes are more funner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know bikes are more funner, but she doesn't yet agree. Might take you up it to take yours for a spin but might not be up your way for a bit. Definitely let me know if you decide to sell.

Sweet iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    maybe occasionally used on the bay when we go to visit her family if we feel like checking a bag
    hard SUPs are usually too long for airline travel many have limits of 115" overall length - and you'll pay out the ass to travel with a board on a bunch of them - so you want an inflatable for travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    hard SUPs are usually too long for airline travel many have limits of 115" overall length - and you'll pay out the ass to travel with a board on a bunch of them - so you want an inflatable for travelling.
    We don't have room to store hard boards through the winter so inflatable seems like the way to go.
    ...yep

I'm pretty sure I just need the K2 of SUPs, although one that won't fall apart when sneezed on would be nice. WTF should I be looking for?
    I got a couple NRS inflatables. Plenty stable on mild rivers or lakes. They are fun. Bought both used on Craigslist out of a rental fleet from a rafting company.

They are probably a K2 in the eye of the SUP master. Seem plenty durable and stuff for us.

https://redpaddleco.com/ca/know-how/durability/

Sooner or later you are gona drop it and put a boo boo in the nice shinny finish of a hard board

so take a look at the redpaddle durability vid ^^ where they thro it off the factory roof and drive over it with a forklift
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I know bikes are more funner, but she doesn't yet agree. Might take you up it to take yours for a spin but might not be up your way for a bit. Definitely let me know if you decide to sell.

Sweet iPhone
    And we have a Hala Nass 12'6" and a Hala Atcha 10'6". Nass is great for flat water, but a little less stable on the river. Atcha is much more stable and good all round. Both are pretty well built and durable. We like 'em, we just haven't been as into it as we were last year. I'd say Hala is a K2 of inflatables, if not the Ski Logic (CO company but made in China).

Bump.

Thinking about getting a couple SUPs for the GF and I.

Yes, they're stupid, but more fun than I would have thought. The GF grew up on the Chesapeake Bay, misses water, and likes SUPing. I view this as an opportunity to get her into a bikini and drink beer when it's hot as balls out.

I don't care that they are inefficient...
    I used to think they were stupid and inefficient until I took one out to do some fishing over the 4th. For a minimalist fishing outing I don't know if it could be beat. Way faster to paddle than my canoe, tracks better, stability was good (it wasn't even a fishing specific model).

I have Bote Inflatable Drift and use it for fishing, not the cheapest things in the world but seems like it's pretty high quality. Really handles beer drinking well too.

Only problem I have is it's like a shitty tent from Walmart in the fact that you have to fold it just right to get it back in the backpack it comes in. Other than that I'd recommend it.

https://www.boteboard.com/products/c...robotes/drift/

We have a Hala Rival Hoss and a Hala Rado... good stuff

Decided that they make class II fun and class III super exciting but without the risk and shenanigans of a kayak flip/swim or the need to stay proficient with a roll, plus they work on flatwater/ocean. Sold most of the kayaks.

Does this mean I'll become a telemark skier when I'm older?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Hala Hoss and Straight Up here. Love them. Don't forget to get the pump that hooks to your battery and you can dial right to the pressure you want. Worth every freaking cent. $130-150.
    Eventually I would like to get a smaller playful one.

I realized women really like sup when I was invited to go paddling with 5 of them

And you should too

^^lots of recommendations for Hala which indeed are a high quality product that is hard to beat but they're pricey ($1000-1300 for board and pump, no paddle). I'd call them the kastle of the ski world not the k2.

For my money, knowing we'd do it infrequently with emphasis on goofy around and having fun in flat or slow moving water and not much consideration for speed/efficiency performance we went with a couple of Isle boards for ~ $500 each. So far so good - light, durable and seem fairly well made. Prices appear to have gone up a bit but they do/did have frequent sales around holiday weekends etc.

hala here as well, atcha 9'6'' and straight up
    great for beating the shit out of around MN lakes
    i like bikes/dirt and skis/snow, but my better half loves the water so this is our do together activity, way more fun than i thought it would be, hoping to get into some overnight downriver trips later this summer or next season as well

At 160 lbs I fell off my 9'8" red paddle a fair amount even tho I was supposed to be in the right weight range, traded it for a 10'6" red and I haven't fallen off of it yet

Bigger board was easier to not fall off of

As for transport I put my inflatable over my pick up tail gate to protect my gf's hard board and tie them both down ... No damage

Haven't played with the newer inflatables but I hear they're pretty nice. Main thing I'd say is get a nice paddle if you're going to do any real paddling. I'd rather be on a cheap board with a nice paddle than the other way around.

Stability is more about width and volume than length (though obviously length and volume are related). Also the shape (amount of "rocker") has an effect. Flatter wider boards will be more stable but harder to turn. Sort of like skis.

SUP - rollerblading for the new generation?

Discuss.

My kiddo really wants a SUP. But I can't see spending a ton on one.
    Thinking cheapo inflatable is the way to go, like sub $500. Any recommendations in that price range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saw this one any reason not to buy? lakes and some ocean use https://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo...195633694.html
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    SUP - rollerblading for the new generation?

Discuss.

I have a canoe, a 17 ft sea kayak, couple of ww kayaks and the sup

the SUP makes a small lake a little larger

The SUP is < 30 lbs so I can grab it out of the truck with one hand paddle in the other do a 1.5 hr or less paddle around the small local lake alot easier than I can muscle a 17' kayak which is at the limit of what I can handle solo

and did I mention women love them?

I noticed GF's hard board had a few dings this spring so mix up a litttle 24hr epoxy dab a little on the boo boo, stretch a piece of saran wrap over the spot to flat out the epoxy, tape it down and let cure ... looks fine and no need to sand

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    saw this one any reason not to buy? lakes and some ocean use https://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo...195633694.html
    Wouldn't be the best ocean surf or river board or gear hauler being its 11'x30"x4.72" with lots of taper (basically not as stable or floaty as the all around boards like a 11'x35"x6") but I bet it is super light weight and high speed low drag for touring. Seems like a great price.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Another use for a SUP is a floating fire pit. Throw a pile of sand on one for fire ring. The one we used was elevated and never was a threat, but the sand provided peace of mind. It's pretty sweet floating around on the water with a fire in the evening.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Tahoe rubicon 12'6 is a great do it all board. Solid in open ocean chop, displaced hull, and 32" Wide for stability, very durable.

Used ones can be had in the sub $500 range. I've had one for 5 years, beat the shit out of it and plenty of days paddling in open ocean swell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

I have an Isle Explorer 11'and like it a lot. Paddle that came with it isn't great though. GF has a Tower Adventurer 10'4. Came with a carbon paddle and way better than my AL one. Both plenty stable for moderate river running small rapids. No ocean nearby so not sure how they would fair in waves.

A lot of the guide companies sell their boards at the end of the season. Maybe not dirt cheap, but definitely cuts the sting. But then again, the season is over and they have some wear but not always horrible if they are just touron river floats.
    Hala has great customer service from what I have heard and experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Wouldn't be the best ocean surf or river board or gear hauler being its 11'x30"x4.72" with lots of taper (basically not as stable or floaty as the all around boards like a 11'x35"x6") but I bet it is super light weight and high speed low drag for touring. Seems like a great price.
    thanks I am going to pass through Anchorage and this looked like an easy buy. I think I will do some research might be a good idea for first board to be stable.
    off your knees Louie