Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Picking a Stand Up Paddleboard, need SUP Help!

We got some iSUPs! Stoked.

Question: instructions say don’t transport on car roofs inflated cuz they’re light. Is this for realz or as a cya. Did this several times last year with rental iSUPs w/o issues, including driving at freeway speeds. They always seemed very secure when untieing. Anybody have real problems with this?

Use thule camstraps and yer good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I probably wouldn't, but I don't mind driving around with them on top on slower roads.
    There's also the warning about not keeping them in the sun due to increased pressure as they heat. I've seen two delams but it's hard to say if it was that or manufacturing error.

Thanks all. Will most likely leave them inflated for long periods of time, use frequently, and typically store in the shade. Closest nice and free flat water is a 15 minute drive from home. I haven’t had a dawn patrol on water in a long time.

Next q: vests. My experience so far is not wearing a vest on the SUP, but keeping one strapped to the board. We have the most basic zip vests that are difficult for swimming. Interested in barebones and inexpensive WW vests, adults and kids. We’d wear them pond/lake skating, too. Rec’s?

I've left my Red aired up all winter on the sundeck several times thru -20 winters, I've used it as a tail gate pad for a hard board and no problems

it would probably survive flying off the roof at 50mph but it might hit/ wreck something

if you fall off they blow away pretty fast so using a leash might be good if not a pfd of some kind

flotation would have been good if you drowned
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-02-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I've left my Red aired up all winter on the sundeck several times thru -20 winters, I've used it as a tail gate pad for a hard board and no problems

it would probably survive flying off the roof at 50mph but it might hit/ wreck something

if you fall off they blow away pretty fast so using a leash might be good if not a pfd of some kind

flotation would have been good if you drowned
    Sure but cold air doesn't increase the pressure inside. Plus, he's in a place with highs probably 10-15c warmer than where you are.

We have a few days per summer at 38* C.

bodywhomper is trying to impress me by knowing what a chelseus is, even using it in a sentance

https://red-equipment.ca/pages/made-of-tough-stuff

some nice looking Labs in that lab test eh, but i digress, I think the red product is higher end and mo money than some of the stuff you might get at costco or wherever cheap shit is sold, maybe your cheap POS product failed ??

You can see the shit they put the Red product inflatables thru, there is no way a hard board would handle any of those tests but hardboards are purty and a little faster

the dirty girl in th lab coat ... is dirty

edit; i think if I lived on a lake and was able to just drag a hard board up on the beach I would go hard but not when i have to transport the board

I was just trying to make it easier for the old stoners in canukistan to understand.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    [QUOTE=UTpowder;6583893]
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i

Hey skifishbum is this pic taken in Cache Valley? It looks like the exact same spot that I would like to start fishing from an SUP.
    yeah the 1st pull off in the bear nwr
    you can paddle upstream from there but no shore access
    havent been in a while carp should be active
    picked up a new single chambered 11'6 bote way lighter and maneuverable vrs the 12'4'' with not to much stability sacrifice and the racks, accessories work on both

works well

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Next q: vests. My experience so far is not wearing a vest on the SUP, but keeping one strapped to the board. We have the most basic zip vests that are difficult for swimming. Interested in barebones and inexpensive WW vests, adults and kids. We’d wear them pond/lake skating, too. Rec’s?
    I'm a big fan of leashes. If I fall off far from shore I want my board attached to me so it can't blow away. I rarely use a pfd unless it is required by law (and being enforced). As long as you have your board you have a giant flotation device.

I'm also a fan of those Red boards...
    Last edited by WMD; 06-04-2022 at 08:54 PM.

Leash all the time just in case.
    PFD on the board under bungees.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Sometimes when its not warm I put my dry suit on at the door, wear it in the truck out to the lake and do a lap so door to door in a gortex drysuit with no pfd

Most people I see at the lake paddle out into the middle which I don't get, I stay pretty close to the lake shore cuz its more sheltered/ its a longer workout/ I can see birds & more interesting stuff and in case anything goes wrong its easy to get to shore

Around here an SUP, sit-on kayak, sailboard, etc counts as a PFD, for legal purposes. Not necessarily for life saving purposes.

I’m still curious about price point WW pfd, including for little people. Suggestions?

My daughter will likely be 5’ or less when she’s fully grown. The ww pfd would serve multiple uses, maybe strapped to a SUP, but definitely when pond skating.

SUP question: do you all pad your racks for carrying fully inflated iSUPs?

You would be surprised how a gust of wind can knock you off and pick your board up and throw it really far away from you. Had it happen running a canyon and luckily I had a leash on. Another girl next to me who didn’t lost her board 50ft down river. It was 15ft in the air at one point. Wear a leash, on moving water wear a quick release leash connected to a life jacket.

no in fact i would use my inflatable to pad my friends hard board

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    You would be surprised how a gust of wind can knock you off and pick your board up and throw it really far away from you. Had it happen running a canyon and luckily I had a leash on. Another girl next to me who didn’t lost her board 50ft down river. It was 15ft in the air at one point. Wear a leash, on moving water wear a quick release leash connected to a life jacket.
    ^^This!!

I carry my Red inflatables on a rack without padding all the time. Most of my driving is at lower speeds though. If going far at high speeds I prefer to deflate and roll them to avoid wear and tear. If the board pumps hard, above 15 psi, on the roof is fine. I'd worry less stiff boards might fold in the wind at speed.

https://red-equipment.ca/pages/made-of-tough-stuff

from the Lab testing I would say inflatables are pretty tuff

The pull tab Fanny pack PFDs are a good solution for a SUP.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

im impressed the fins didnt break!

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    im impressed the fins didnt break! .
    After watching that vid I've always wondered myself so my Red 10'6" is close by on the deck and so I tried flexing the fins, not only does the fin material itself flex but also the board material flexes at the base of the fin so i think everything flexes instead of breaking

I think if you are just wanking about on the lake not needing the performance of the hard board the inflatable makes a whole bunch of sense and you can deflate it to the size of a large suitcase

especialy if you need to transport it which is where most of the damage ocurs on kayaks/ canoes/ Sup's, I just heard about an aqaintence fucking up her nice Delta seakayak on a transportation fuckup

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Leash all the time just in case.
    PFD on the board under bungees.
    This

In WW, PFD on, and leash has to be quick release or not at all, and I'm not very stoked to have it QR from my vest because this needs a reasonable amount of pull as anyone who has spent time live bait training knows.

A separate QR where pulling the ball pulls a pin on a carabiner is better because if you want to separate from the board, you want it RFN.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I’m still curious about price point WW pfd, including for little people. Suggestions?

My daughter will likely be 5’ or less when she’s fully grown. The ww pfd would serve multiple uses, maybe strapped to a SUP, but definitely when pond skating.

If you're looking for something low profile and cheap a ww pfd may not be the way to go on flat water. They are a little over featured for flat water and tend to have a lot of extra floatation to keep you from going deep in rapids.

Something like this might be good though https://www.nrs.com/nrs-vapor-pfd/pkpm

Relatively cheap and low profile and if you ever do some easy ww it would be totally acceptable.

If you need one with a quick release you'll pay a lot more (rescue PFD ~ $300), but as others have commented leashes are dangerous on Whitewater and you should not attach yourself to anything without a QR and probably some swift water rescue training.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk