Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Picking a Stand Up Paddleboard, need SUP Help!

Hey all,

I don't venture out of the ski forums so I am not really sure what the protocol is on surf related tech questions, but it looked as thought there was not any surf related tech talk going on in the surf forum.

I am looking for a SUP and don't want to drop a lot of money on something that isn't right. I've spent a lot of time on the water in my life, waterskiing, wake boarding, kayaking, but I am only an occasional surfer.

Below is what I have tried, and what I am looking for:

Boards I have tried:

Hovie SUP Nomad 12"
    Surftech Laird - 11" (I think re the size)
    NSP 14"

My understanding that the boards above run the gammet from tourning, to surf, to flat water racing. I tested these boards at various times, all in the open ocean, non-surf conditions.

My biggest issue is that I am not a small person, 6'2" 210.

For application, I will likely be using it in the ocean and lakes in equal parts. I'd like to get something I can surf with too, but not at the exclusion of sinking the thing on flat water.

The Hovie Nomad I tried belonged to a friend. It worked well all around and I can see how this would be a great lake option. Obviously this is an easy to use, buoyant, board. I had no complaints but obviously surfing would be out of the question on this board, I assume???

The Surftech I was able to use was just not keeping me out of the water at my size, particularly in ocean chop. I believe it was last year's model, and was red. Because I knew this year's 10" model was red, I assumed I was on a 10". However, I am pretty sure this said 11" in script on the board. Therefore, I think I was already on the longest model?? I will try to confirm the size, but if I was on an 11" as i suspect, either I need to stop eating for a month or this board isn't going to fly.

The 14" NSP I was on was sweet. I liked that it was a more tradition construction, but still floaty enough. However, I had some serious issues getting this thing to turn, particularly when dealing with a wind blowing me out. The lack of manuverability is a bit of a deal breaker, i think.

Based on this experience I think what I would ideally purchase is something constructed like the Surftech or NSP - sorry I don't know the term, but like a surfboard not like the Nomad - but in 12" or more length. Are surf style boards available in a 12" length?? From my brief search, it seems like no so much?

I would really appreciate any and all feedback and comments.
    Last edited by Smails; 08-06-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Stand up paddleboards are the new rollerblades.

Just sayin.

They are kinda fun. Why do they cost so much?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

It's like kayaking, except slower, more tiring, less cargo-capacity...

I know a lot of people hate on SUP, but I think its a hell of a good time and a great work out.

Hate away haters.

I'm with Summit though, they are way too f&cking expensive.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    They are kinda fun. Why do they cost so much?
    A short board is $500, a long board is twice the material/labor and $1000, a sup is even more material and labor..... I know math is hard.

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    It's like kayaking, except slower, more tiring, less cargo-capacity...
    And for the most part less seaworthy possibly the telemark skiing of paddling but if the local shop makes some coin selling them and it gets people out paddling WTF eh?

^^^ That is a great call, the telemarking of paddling. Totally agree.

If anyone is down to comment on the tech talk version of this, I have a few new thoughts.

It looks like the NSP 11 and 11"6 get some good reviews and are cheap.

I also now see that they high end Surftech Laird does come in a 12", I just which backcountry.com had that one on sale too . . .

From the few times I have demoed a board and talked to the Outfitter that is selling them, you have to get a board for your needs. In the case of lake and open water that is probably different than the surfing. Sort of like a quiver of skis- yes there are all mountain skis that maybe a bit of compromise on powder days but great on groomed slopes, but to do it right you may end up with wanting 2 boards. Try to see if any end of season demo sales are going to be happening. I know the outfitter in this area has to have some to bring out and let people try and then sells them and turns them over each year for the new models coming next season.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    A short board is $500, a long board is twice the material/labor and $1000, a sup is even more material and labor..... I know math is hard.
    that's pretty much it - retail figure $3-500 for materials + other shit, ain't nobody getting rich making boards.

now t-shirts, that's another matter.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...26-River-stoke

towards the bottom of that thread moosepit posted a 1st sup of the lower lower Willow which is a solid class 4 canyon run ... dunno who it is but I am impressed

feel free to put it up here if you can ...i the suck

" means inches, ' means feet. Easy to figure out what you mean in this thread but you wouldn't want to get them mixed up if you were drawing up plans or sending a text to a girl you met in a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

sent from the future using my mind powers
    And the margin for retailers really sucks. They make skis look like a gold mine.

NRS makes some SUP "river boards" but that might not be what you are after. There is an inflatable SUP that comes with extras and converts to a shit on top.

Seen some pictures of "models" on them which would be my inspiration to take it up if I lived near the coast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starboard_tiffany_sup.jpg 
Views:	875 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	119073
    watch out for snakes

My friend owns www.standonliquid.com, they might help

My wife did the logo
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

I would recommend you stick with something in the 12' size range. I have 30 pounds on you(more with a wetsuit), and the things are kind of tippy if you don't size up. Factor in the fact that you will be surfing on the East Coast, and surfing performance should not be at the top of your list. Besides, a 12' SUP will surf below head-high surf just fine.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

For the smaller SUPer, Woot.com today has a full setup for $450
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Seen some pictures of "models" on them which would be my inspiration to take it up if I lived near the coast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starboard_tiffany_sup.jpg 
Views:	875 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	119073
    Dropping a knee, sure enough.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

12' HullRipper from Paddle Surf Hawaii. My buddy Blane shapes em and they kill for what you're looking for.

Smails, fyi, if you mean the 12'1 Laird veneer at BC, it is indeed significantly discounted.

You can surf and do ocean tours on a 12' to 11'. Im around 200 to 220 and have no problems catching waves or riding ocean swells on a 12' Yolo. Anything smaller is just for surfing and anything bigger is for racing. Try looking over in the classifieds on Standup zone. Some good deals to be had on used boards. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

how are inflatables compared to solid boards? Rode one for the first time today. Would mostly be riding flat rivers/lakes. Would a $500 inflatable work fine for this? Or better off spending a bit more on a solid board, possibly used on craigslist or something.

Bump.

Thinking about getting a couple SUPs for the GF and I.

Yes, they're stupid, but more fun than I would have thought. The GF grew up on the Chesapeake Bay, misses water, and likes SUPing. I view this as an opportunity to get her into a bikini and drink beer when it's hot as balls out.

I don't care that they are inefficient, we won't be using them as a transportation tool. Stability is good, GF wants to be able to do yoga. I want to drink beer and paddle around and "accidentally" fall in when it gets hot. I do other things for action sports. Use will be 90% on flat water lakes in a landlocked state and maybe occasionally used on the bay when we go to visit her family if we feel like checking a bag, and probably less than 10 days/year. We don't have room to store hard boards through the winter so inflatable seems like the way to go. Have no interest in trying to "surf" on one or ride whitewater or whatever.

Seems like I can spend $200 to $1500 and all the SUP forums seem to be inhabited by bro-brah fart sniffers that think everyone needs an artisan handcrafted SUP crafted by mythic shaper-monkeys from rare foams in exotic locales, not unlike the TGR ski buying philosophy. Cheap is good (more money for beer) and I'm pretty sure I just need the K2 of SUPs, although one that won't fall apart when sneezed on would be nice. WTF should I be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Bump.

Thinking about getting a couple SUPs for the GF and I.

Yes, they're stupid, but more fun than I would have thought. The GF grew up on the Chesapeake Bay, misses water, and likes SUPing. I view this as an opportunity to get her into a bikini and drink beer when it's hot as balls out.

I don't care that they are inefficient, we won't be using them as a transportation tool. Stability is good, GF wants to be able to do yoga. I want to drink beer and paddle around and "accidentally" fall in when it gets hot. I do other things for action sports. Use will be 90% on flat water lakes in a landlocked state and maybe occasionally used on the bay when we go to visit her family if we feel like checking a bag, and probably less than 10 days/year. We don't have room to store hard boards through the winter so inflatable seems like the way to go. Have no interest in trying to "surf" on one or ride whitewater or whatever.

Seems like I can spend $200 to $1500 and all the SUP forums seem to be inhabited by bro-brah fart sniffers that think everyone needs an artisan handcrafted SUP crafted by mythic shaper-monkeys from rare foams in exotic locales, not unlike the TGR ski buying philosophy. Cheap is good (more money for beer) and I'm pretty sure I just need the K2 of SUPs, although one that won't fall apart when sneezed on would be nice. WTF should I be looking for?
    You guys can take ours out sometime if you want. We might sell them. Just not getting the use this year. Bikes are more funner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk