Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Resurrecting this one from the dead to celebrate the Rolling Thunder Review in time for the new Netflix doc.

Interesting thread. Me thinks that while a lot of great concerts are listed, the sound at a lot of them would totaly suck by today's standards. Recently watched the Jimi Hendrix footage from the atlanta pop festival, the sound was horrible. Cliche, and a repeat, but the things I'd like to see, from a cultural perspective, are a carosel ballroom Acid test with the dead; woodstock, and maybe a dead show when the wall of sound was in full blooom. sorry. three.

As to what i've been to. probably in my top 5 of all time was REM playing the omni for the first time, april 2osomething 1989. Virtually a hometown gig, thier first major arena, when they were really cookin. Chronictown, Fables, deadletter,Green, etc. Helleva show. Blew the doors off the place.
    "Can't you see..."

30th January 1969, 3 Saville Row would be quite a good one.

Or the Blues Brothers at the Palace Hotel Ballroom up north on Lake Wazzapamani in 1980
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I was the at the S&G concert in the park, I was just a teen but I knew I was seeing an "event".

The Warlocks, Hampton Coliseum, 1989. Oh wait, I was there.

Would have loved to see the Allman Brothers during the Fillmore time period, PigPen as well.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Zappa 10-31-77 Palladium NYC... because I never got to see Frank play live and seeing Zappa on Halloween in NYC couldn't not be fun.

Queen...one I missed

Just make me the bartender at the Blue Note from 1961-1963.

I was at the 2nd central park concert in 1991 (Paul Simon). Got there really early with some falafel and a bunch of tall boys. Was about 10 people back with a blanket laid out just left of the broadcast booth.

I had never seen that many people in one place in my life (still haven't). The view to the back was incredible. Full of new stuff and old. When Chevy Chase came out, shit erupted. Good times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_S...rt_in_the_Park

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Lots of great shows already listed.

Sex pistols, june 4, 1976 at Manchester's Lesser Free Trade Center if only to see who was really there!
    Ha ha. Me too.

And this one

Velvet Underground at a Warhol party or Lou Reed December 21 1973 when they recorded Rock 'n' Roll Animal
    This.

Talking Heads Stop Making Sense, one of the 3 nights they were filming. Seemed to be when the band was at their peak, although I would take an early night at CBGBs or Maxs Kansas City.
    Yes please.

A Clash concert, no idea what would have been best but I missed seeing them.
    Likewise

Thin Lizzy, Sydney Opera House 1978

Monsters of Rock 1981

ACDC, Whitesnake, Blue Oyster Cult, Slade

Live Aid - both venues
    Last edited by Mike Pow; 06-05-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post

Live Aid - both venues
    Wembley Live Aid was great.

Can't think of any I would risk death for. I guess our generation is kind of lucky in that since so much more money is made from tours than record sales that a lot of my favorite artists that I missed back in the day I have had a chance to see them up close though past their prime. Also a lot of the good classic ones have been put on DVD or Bluray.

Would have loved to have seen Roxy Music in their prime. The Clash, Zeppelin , Beta Band touring with Radiohead, The Police ( saw them on the reunion tours) David Bowie in the Ziggy Days , Herbert Von Karajon conducting Beethovans 9th or Holst the Planets, Miles Davis with Coltrane on sax. edit to add The Beach Boys late 60's

Favorites that I went to were
    Tears for Fears on the Hurting tour in a small venue.
    Stones, ZZ top in the early 80's
    Peter Gabriel So tour
    REM Monster tour with Radiohead opening act
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Radiohead
    I went to wedding in in '94 which Radiohead had offered to play at the reception... because they were high school friends of the groom.

It was a fancy kind of wedding held at an ancient Oxford college (think 4 weddings and a funeral) and the bride's mother determined that it wasn't really appropriate to have a rock and roll band.

oooh, a couple of additions based on other responses:

A Clash concert, any concert.

Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense. Seen that movie 3 times in the theater, but seeing it live would be fucking insane.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I went to wedding in in '94 which Radiohead had offered to play at the reception... because they were high school friends of the groom.

It was a fancy kind of wedding held at an ancient Oxford college (think 4 weddings and a funeral) and the bride's mother determined that it wasn't really appropriate to have a rock and roll band.
    Mother in Law from hell.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

1. 5/15/70 at the Fillmore East
    2. 2/27/69 at the Fillmore West
    3. Tommy Bolin between Teaser and Private Eyes

In fairness to the bride's mom, no one wants to hear Pablo Honey at a wedding.

CONCERTS YOU WOULD RISK TIME TRAVEL TO SEE

Thank you for this --

a couple - not really this community's taste, but I'll play. . .

Bruce. Soldier Field, 1985.
    we talked about it --
    today there is no way I want anything to do with a crowd like that.

Garth. 1989. the … Fair.
    about to explode - we saw him at the mn state fair in '90 and '91 during the explosion
    ( listened to Roping the Wind all the way from montana )

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Circle Two sessions. I had the video - it is still one of my favorite cds
    ( saw them in 2004. … state fair. just before (the wheels came off)

finally, historically, for a midwest. boy - and Because I have driven through a hundred times... how 'bout
    Buddy Holly, BigBopper, and RichieValens. Clear Lake, iowa. 195x

no.

Cash. Folsom Prison Blues. 196x
    The Rocker breaks down walls...

( Didn't That become a movie (!) )

yeah (yes) Folsom Prison Blues. The Man in Black.

thanks... tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    Buddy Holly, BigBopper, and RichieValens. Clear Lake, iowa. 195x
    tj
    Oh hell yes!

I want to go to some Harry Chapin shows. Some Velvet Underground or Lou and JJ Cale at the Brooklyn Academy of Music would be nice. Some Fillmore East stuff wouldn't be bad, 4/28/71 would be high on the list. I want to go be a part of some of the Pete Seeger shows from small parks in the Hudson Valley. The GD in Egypt. It would have been nice to sit in on some Coltrane shows too. Too many...

How's this time traveling thing going to work? Can it be something simple like a teleporter or something weirder?

depeche mode rose bowl 1988- i used to spend lots of money on concerts driving to Vancouver from Calgary etc to see all the "good bands" I saw depeche mode in Calgary in '92 I think and it was one of the best concerts I had ever seen so why not go to possibly their most famous show?

also every Ramones show ever
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Veneta aug 27, 1972

The Smile Jamaica concert with Marley's impromptu 90 minute set days after being shot.

Hendrix, Beatles, VU, Gram Parsons and Emmylou, early Doors, the Live Dead concert, Led Zep the first tour, Yardbirds (1 ea. Clapton, Page, Beck), almost any 1960s Troubador gig, early Talking Heads, the Replacements on a good night and a really bad one...

The Smile Jamaica concert with Marley's impromptu 90 minute set days after being shot.
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The last waltz. Yes, there's a movie. Still would like to see it live. Also would like to see one of the Bands "road trip" concerts earlier in the 60s

I'd like to go to one of the war time shows Django played for big bucks for mister big dick Porfirio Rubirosa - because it's what a debauched WW2 show would be I think.

Lots of Mags Time Travels I'd like to hitch a ride on.

But, I'd insist on catching Metallica any time between Dec 1985 and September 27, 1986. Misfits, Halloween 1982. 5/28/89 @ 924 Gilman St.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Queen

Wembley 1986.....