Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Here is the applicable ordinance:

Sec. 38-241. - Prohibition on the open carrying of firearms.
    The City of Thornton hereby prohibits the open carrying of a firearm, as defined in Section 38-237 of the Code, in any city building or in or upon any city property including but not limited to parks, open spaces or trails that exist within the City of Thornton and that have a sign posted at the entrance to any city building or city property informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in such building or area.
    They wrote him up on a different one just to slap some paper on it. He in no way violated the ordinance they cited.

Huh, bullshit interpretation then. This could get interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

So serious question for those that conceal carry; if you see a sign on a business that states they prohibit firearms, do you go back to your car and put it away?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So serious question for those that conceal carry; if you see a sign on a business that states they prohibit firearms, do you go back to your car and put it away?
    No, you sue:

EAGLE COUNTY, Colorado — Tab Bonidy and his wife, Debbie, can legally carry concealed handguns most places they go, except the local post office. And that's a problem.

Like most of us, the Bonidys don't have the option of home mail delivery, so they get their mail at the post office, and the U.S. Postal Service prohibits firearms on their property, including parking lots. That means those who carry firearms — or stop by the post office on their way to or from the shooting range — are breaking the law even by leaving their guns in their cars when they get their mail.

So, working with the National Association for Gun Rights and the Mountain States Legal Foundation, the Bonidys have filed suit in federal court to have the postal service's rule overturned.

U.S. District Senior Judge Richard Matsch earlier this month dismissed a Postal Service motion to dismiss the case. That means the next step is a scheduling conference in January.

Bonidy said he and his wife agreed to participate in the case after the National Association for Gun Rights put out a request to its members last year, asking for someone to volunteer to challenge the Postal Service rule. Given their situation, they agreed.

But why don't the Bonidys just leave their guns in their vehicles? They're in Avon, after all, and it's not likely anyone will notice.

“Well, it's against the law,” Bonidy said.

Attorney Jim Manley of the Mountain States Legal Foundation said that's a common response from gun owners, especially those who have invested the time, effort and money to obtain a concealed-carry permit.

“These people are scrupulously law-abiding,” Manley said of permit-holders. “They don't want to violate the law.”

Besides his unwillingness to break the law, Bonidy rides a motorcycle in the summer, which means he'd have to remove his firearm in public before going into the post office. That sort of defeats the intent of concealed carry.

And the Bonidys carry firearms almost all the time. The couple received their permits about three years ago, a process that requires training, fees, and, ultimately, the permission of the county sheriff. It was something the couple had wanted to do for some time, Bonidy said. And, having lived for some time in a “not-great environment” in south Florida in his youth, Bonidy said he's used to carrying a gun, and values the ability to protect himself.

The case is about individual rights, Bonidy said.

“When you go to the post office, you have to decide whether you're going to carry or not,” he said. “And when you carry all the time, you feel naked without it.”

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Bonidy rides a motorcycle in the summer
    He probably also resents oppressive helmet and muffler laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I'm pretty new to carrying, but short answer probably not. I'd go back to my car and go somewhere that doesn't prohibit.

Let's say I'm going to see the Rockies lose. I know I can't bring a gun into coors field, so I'll leave the gun home. Statistically there's probably a better chance of someone breaking into my car than my home, and I don't want to give someone who's already committed a crime a(nother) weapon.

As far as the post office, a school, gov't building, etc. I'd leave it home. The car would be a last resort and I'd probably try to burry it somewhere where someone breaking in would have a hard time finding it.

I might also check a resource like the one below if I'm really hellbent on carrying, but I mostly carry for protection against mountain lions when mountain biking so I'm probably not your typical CCW holder. The only time I've carried outside of mountain biking in the two months since I got my permit was driving my car to the range and walking/hiking with my dogs.

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners' Merchant Awareness Program serves two important functions:
    1. It is an evolving database of posted merchants that serves notice to permit holders where not to break the law by carrying concealed handguns... it's a list of merchants who don't want law-abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons on their premises.

2. It serves notice to posted merchants that permit holders, as principled individuals, will not do business where their right to lawful, armed self-defense from violent criminal attack is denied.

When RMGO receives information that a merchant or business dependent on public goodwill is posted, our organization sends a formal letter of protest to that businesses' owner of record or corporate CEO or president. The letter politely informs the merchant or business that:
    1. Permit holders have undergone scrutiny by both state and federal law enforcement agencies.

2. Merchants who post against concealed carry invite criminal mayhem from individuals looking for easy targets of opportunity.

3. Merchants who post against concealed carry have implied assumed responsibility for the safety of their patrons and may face financial redress in the event of a criminal act, which results in injury/death of a patron.

4. Gun owners are consumers who represent a valuable commodity.

Attorney Jim Manley of the Mountain States Legal Foundation said that's a common response from gun owners, especially those who have invested the time, effort and money to obtain a concealed-carry permit.

“These people are scrupulously law-abiding,” Manley said of permit-holders. “They don't want to violate the law.”
    so these people who are concerned with defending themselves and not relying on society are worried about conforming with said society's arbitrary rules?

kewl.

If I go the gun route, I would get a legal 12ga for home defense and an illegal handgun to carry concealed when I feel the need. If there's an Aurora type incident I could always blast away and then say I grabbed the gun from the shooter or found it under my seat.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    If I go the gun route, I would get...an illegal handgun to carry concealed when I feel the need.
    Like a gun with the serial# removed, or are you a felon? Either way, maybe you should just post that you're going to start carrying an IED around in a backpack and make sure to post the details of the build here.

Hey FBI/ATF guys - jfost is one of the dumber dumbfucks who post here. He's harmless really. Except to himself.

Nothing like watching someone live up to their signature.

SCAWEY guys, reeeeeeeeeeeeeal scawey!

PROTECT MYSELF FROM TYRANNY!!!!!! (unless it is against the law, then I'm taking my $ to a different Carl's Jr!)
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Bottom line is that this guy did absolutely nothing unlawful ...
    but which side are you on?

but which side are you on?
    I'm on the side that says that what this guy did was needlessly insensitive, rooted in narcissism, and quite possibly a very narrow minded view of the vast array of more important issues facing this nation; but, at the same time, completely lawful.

I'm on the side that says that what this guy did was needlessly insensitive, rooted in narcissism, and quite possibly a very narrow minded view of the vast array of more important issues facing this nation; but, at the same time, completely lawful.
    I agree except for the part where he yelled "fire" in a crowded theater.

At the very least he knowingly and deliberately disturbed the peace.

I agree except for the part where he yelled "fire" in a crowded theater.

At the very least he knowingly and deliberately disturbed the peace.
    He didn't yell fire, and peacefully carrying a handgun on your hip is not an unlawful disturbance of the peace, any more than wearing a constitutionally protected offensive t-shirt like fuck you and die hippy scum at a dead show.

Just because you don't like the rights we all have that others enjoy, doesn't mean conduct exercising those rights should be deemed unlawful, which is what this thread is about, not your personal view of gun ownership and preference for modes of carry.

He didn't yell fire, and peacefully carrying a handgun on your hip is not an unlawful disturbance of the peace, any more than wearing a constitutionally protected offensive t-shirt like fuck you and die hippy scum at a dead show.

Just because you don't like the rights we all have that others enjoy, doesn't mean conduct exercising those rights should be deemed unlawful, which is what this thread is about, not your personal view of gun ownership and preference for modes of carry.

Yes, but jfost is frieghtened and sad. And don't forget - offended!

Don't be beech jfost.

so these people who are concerned with defending themselves and not relying on society are worried about conforming with said society's arbitrary rules?

kewl.

If I go the gun route, I would get a legal 12ga for home defense and an illegal handgun to carry concealed when I feel the need. If there's an Aurora type incident I could always blast away and then say I grabbed the gun from the shooter or found it under my seat.
    Theater could have a metal detector, then what? You're back to acting as a human shield, taking bullets for your girlfriend? You've probably sat in a theater before with a CCW and lived. I don't see a problem with law abiding people trying to work within the system.

ummm, he purposefully, knowingly and willfully (and quite adverbly) disturbed the peace by creating a scene... his "statement" was CORRECTLY diffused by police and others in the theater who called them to report this situation. So IME he was properly "arrested" (detained?), whether the charges hold up is for the courts to decide.

I don't see where this is quite the same thing as just "peacefully carrying a handgun on your hip" on a regular day. This man CREATED a potentially dangerous situation ON PURPOSE in a public place.

"ooooooohohooho, LOOK AT ME, I'm NOT breaking the law!!!! neener neener!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    Theater could have a metal detector, then what?
    Didn't the Aurora shooter enter the theater via an emergency exit?

ummm, he purposefully, knowingly and willfully (and quite adverbly) disturbed the peace by creating a scene... his "statement" was CORRECTLY diffused by police and others in the theater who called them to report this situation. So IME he was properly "arrested" (detained?), whether the charges hold up is for the courts to decide.

I don't see where this is quite the same thing as just "peacefully carrying a handgun on your hip" on a regular day. This man CREATED a potentially dangerous situation ON PURPOSE in a public place.

The fat fuck was sitting in his seat eating popcorn not creating any scene whatsoever. He walked out of there and spoke to the police. He was watching a movie in the same theater the night of the slaying a few miles away and the cops on the way out just checked him and said have a nice night sir.

He's a loser geek who goes to the movies a few times a week. He created no dangerous situation (other than increasing his cholesterol) IN A PUBLIC SPACE. He probably carries a handgun ON A REGULAR DAY, at the MOVIES, on a regular day. DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

Maybe you should just move.

And, like Dude, adverbly is not a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Didn't the Aurora shooter enter the theater via an emergency exit?
    Yeah, but Jfrost was talking about carrying an illegal piece himself. I suppose they could both have used the emergency exit.
    "After you". "No, after you". "No really, I insist, after you".

This is kind of how I see it. Seems to me he could have carried concealed and avoided any repercussions. Maybe the guy carries open all the time and never gave it a second thought, but in the interviews I've seen he comes across more as if he was trying to make a point about open carry in the wake of the Aurora shooting=douchebag.

Just my take of course.

Wow, some of your attitudes towards firearms are quite interesting.

So what if open carry created a scene? So what if it is a form or civil protest? It is constitutionally protected and it appears legal.

For those of you that don't know, we have a gun culture in this country. If you think we should change the laws fine, but understand gun ownership, carrying and collecting are as American as baseball.

I live in a community where there are a shit ton of guns. I can't remember one instance of gun violence by a local (bulldozer guy excluded). Our cops are pro CCW and pro gun ownership. 9mm under the seat, no problem. Long gun in the rack, no problem. Kids take their guns to school because they don't have time to go home after the morning hunt, no problem.

Our country is comprised of thousands of different societies. Many are gun scared. In most rural western communities, guns are a normal everyday thing. Once you lose the "killing machine" stigma, it is a non-issue.

He's a loser geek who goes to the movies a few times a week. He created no dangerous situation (other than increasing his cholesterol) IN A PUBLIC SPACE. He probably carries a handgun ON A REGULAR DAY, at the MOVIES, on a regular day. DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!...
    do you see where this previously innocuous action may have created a scene that particular day or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    ...Kids take their guns to school because they don't have time to go home after the morning hunt, no problem...
    where I grew up, kid got mad at school and went home at lunch and got their uncles 9mm, then came back and started shooting down the hallway... BIG problem.

spook Guest
    see, if all the kids had been carrying they could have taken out the bad seed. problem solved and money saved.