If you could pick in SA - Where?

Mrs. and I have spent the last few years traveling to places that we might actually like to live or have a place someday. Its been a good reason to go to one place as opposed to another. We were just talking the other night, planning the next trip and we both agreed that we've really always been happier in SA then Yurp or elsewhere.

Warm people, zero jetlag, easier to get out of the city and into less populated zones, ocean, elevation etc...Anyway, as we plan this next trip, I'm curious...what single city (or nearby zone) would you choose to buy a place in in you could choose anywhere? I know mags have covered every inch of SA, and I can't imagine a better resource. Thoughts?
    Last edited by TyWebb; 08-03-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Wow. In fact, spanish will get you through about 30% of SA, unless you spend most of your time in major cities. Since you have been to Brazil, I guess you get that. Most "TRG" mags probably haven't covered every inch of their county, much less a continent that's almost twice as big as Europe. From what you describe, urban culture, skiing, surfing, biking, hiking, young children, I would recommend San Francisco, California. It will save you a lot of disappointment in the long run. However, if you really want to seem worldly then I guess the Valparaiso area is about as close to San Fran as you can get down there. Good luck on that home purchase. The Chilean government and business practices can be tricky for a gringo, but they do speak spanish and love greenbacks.
    -You can't get hurt if you are in the air.

Caleb Wray Photography

ha....what a douche.

I've seen TR's from about every country in SA on this site in the last 6 years. Seems to be some good knowledge floating around.

You've never dreamed of having a place elsewhere?

PS...just checked out your photos. Cool stuff. We've stood in more then a few of the same spots. Thanks again for the help.

if you think spanish will get you through only 30% of SA, you're the idiot

Quote Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
    ha....what a douche.

I've seen TR's from about every country in SA on this site in the last 6 years. Seems to be some good knowledge floating around.

You've never dreamed of having a place elsewhere?

PS...just checked out your photos. Cool stuff. We've stood in more then a few of the same spots. Thanks again for the help.

if you think spanish will get you through only 30% of SA, you're the idiot

Hey man, you asked for opinions on TGR, you get one in a typical TGR tone and then you get upset?

So, I stand corrected. According to 2008 world stat numbers 42.26% of the South American population speaks spanish. Feel free to double check that. I wasn't trying to be negative, just honest. You asked for advice from experienced people so I gave you some based on my experiences. I have spent quite a bit of time traveling in SA and other places around the world over the last 2 decades and what I said is what I think about the subject. If I had to describe what I do for a living, it's go to places like SA, participate is some half brained outdoor adventure, take photos and videos, test outdoor equipment, come home and do everything I can to squeeze out a profit from the deal so I can do it again. Been at it for 4 years. I also have a very close friend that owns and operates a 5,000 acre cat skiing operation in Chile and we have discussed the perils of long term business and residence in SA on many occasions. Sorry if this sounds "douchey" but my opinion is that it would be very difficult to meet the criteria you described in SA unless you have an iron will and deep pockets. I am sure a realtor or sales agent down there will paint a rosier picture, but I liken the whole deal to meeting a beautiful SA gal, falling in lust, marrying her after a few weeks of great sex, and then wondering what the hell you have gotten into a few years down the road. I suspect this whole post was a means to mentally escape from a work day, which I fully support. Oh, and I currently own two homes, though after extensive research I decided that SA wasn't a good place for either one.
    Last edited by RoanMtnMan; 08-03-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    -You can't get hurt if you are in the air.

Caleb Wray Photography