Lucinda Williams

Went to a Lucinda Williams show last night not expecting much and was surprised. Her sound is unique almost real country and almost rock. She sounds sort of like a cross between Janis Joplin and and a young Courtney Love (maybe?). Great voice.

The band

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

where was that?
    she's a vital member of the Twang Trust.
    'Car Wheels on a Gravel Road' is one of my favorite records.
    every song on it is good.

crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    where was that?
    Portsmouth at Prescott park. They put on free shows, Cowboy Junkies are coming.

http://www.prescottpark.org/concert.cfm

Big fan of this one.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

She's pretty Old School; been around since the '70s (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/lucin...s-mn0000837215)

This is the first song I ever heard from her and it sparked me to check her out when she toured in support of the album Sweet Old World (tour was probably late '92/early '93). I was lucky enough to catch her at a hole-in-the-wall club down on 11th street in SF at the time.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Didn't expect much? She's great and has been for a long while imo. She's also fucking crazy, stalked a friend of mine for about a year and wouldn't take "no" for an answer, but hey. Chick can sing and write some songs.

When I saw her at the Eugene Hilton in 1999, I was able to stand about ten feet away from her while she sang. Hubba hubba. She could have stalked me as much as she wanted to.

Based on the recent photos, I'd have to say the road and time haven't been kind...

She is a pretty spent piece of meat now, Verde. Saw her two weeks ago at Targhee Fest. She is truly great, but I can't even imagine what a train wreck her real life is. She has the stage presence of a doorstop.

That guitarist is INCREDIBLE, btw...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    She is a pretty spent piece of meat now, Verde. Saw her two weeks ago at Targhee Fest. She is truly great, but I can't even imagine what a train wreck her real life is. She has the stage presence of a doorstop.

That guitarist is INCREDIBLE, btw...
    ya when i saw her in Vegas in 2003 there were people there who just went to hear the guitarist...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I'm a big fan. We go see her every time she's in DC. Here's my favorite:

Love the guitar on that track as much as her aching voice. Pretty close to perfect IMHO.

Lucinda rocks. Seen her many times in NYC and once at Austin City Limits. She looks like she has seen some bad road these days. I used to think she was kinda hot BITD. Still a huge fan. Her lead guitar rips. And Tuck, Cowboy Junkies rule too.

Does anyone else find Lucinda’s latest stuff hard to listen to, or perhaps an ‘acquired taste?’.
    It’s all over ‘adult alternative’ stations.
    I find most of it a bit grating...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Does anyone else find Lucinda’s latest stuff hard to listen to, or perhaps an ‘acquired taste?’.
    It’s all over ‘adult alternative’ stations.
    I find most of it a bit grating...
    Yes.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's