Lightning and Bikes

The last three morning rides have been in thunderstorms. It was so dark, I had to turn on my dogs collar lights, to be able to see them if they were more than a few yards away.
    Since your on rubber, are you protected at all? I was actually a little more worried a tree or a large branch would take me or my dogs out!

The rubber will not help you. Its the steal cage of a car that protects you in a car not the tires.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    The rubber will not help you. Its the steal cage of a car that protects you in a car not the tires.
    I learned that at the Boston Museum of Science as a wee little lad!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    The last three morning rides have been in thunderstorms. It was so dark, I had to turn on my dogs collar lights, to be able to see them if they were more than a few yards away.
    Since your on rubber, are you protected at all? I was actually a little more worried a tree or a large branch would take me or my dogs out!
    Google "Faraday Cage". If lightning can travel through thousands of feet of air, a few cm's of rubber isn't going to affect in the least. At those voltages it's the shape of things that matters as much as what they are made of and a bike is exactly the wrong shape of thing you want to be near in a lightning strike.

I always figured it probably wasn't the safest thing in the world, but in a forest surrounded by trees, my chances of being hit haven't really increased much because of all the other conductors around me.
    I could be wrong.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Another reason to go with a carbon frame + rims?
    Last edited by Bean; 07-27-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I learned that at the Boston Museum of Science as a wee little lad!

+1 pretty amazing, and crazy how misinformed most people are about this.

Stuck,you ever see a tree get hit by lightning? I've seen wood shrapnel tear clean through a chain-link fence, and 100lbs chunks fly 150yds
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    +1 pretty amazing, and crazy how misinformed most people are about this.

Stuck,you ever see a tree get hit by lightning? I've seen wood shrapnel tear clean through a chain-link fence, and 100lbs chunks fly 150yds
    Yeah, but there are a LOT of trees, so it would have to not only hit one, but one that is right near and not surrounded by a bunch of other trees to block the shrapnel.

If I'm way off base here, let me know.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Yeah, but there are a LOT of trees, so it would have to not only hit one, but one that is right near and not surrounded by a bunch of other trees to block the shrapnel.

If I'm way off base here, let me know.
    No you're right on, but shit happens. my small town here in VT just lost a 16yr old kid to a lightning strike a couple weeks ago, he was trying to get out of the field on some farm equipment when a quick moving storm got him.

edit: look at where the majority of strikes are:http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/fatalities.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Another reason to go with a carbon frame + rims?
    I believe carbon is a rather good conductor.

Actually, surprisingly enough carbon fibre is a poor conductor. That's why Boeing and Airbus had to go to so much trouble with their new composite aeroplanes to create additional means for conduction (copper mesh impregnated in the lay-up, additional aluminium conducting rods etc) to protect against lightning strike.

I think your chances are about as good as....................getting struck by lightning.
    According to Advres link, which was classically obnoxious, 73 people get the chop every year. Out of 350,000,000. Most of them are out golfing and boating or hiking above treeline; places without lots of trees.
    Nat Geo seems to think you're better off at the mall. Here's the brilliant fucking insight from their piece:
    lightning tends to strike people in places where there are people to strike

I don't get that scared on my bike running from lightning. On a chairlift during some thundersnow though? Terrifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

It is recommended that you ditch metallic items when around lightning. I have heard stories of metallic items buzzing or even sparking when lightning strikes were imminent. I don't worry to much when I am in a forest, but I am phobic of lightning at or above timberline.

I personally follow on your logic. Not that it's right or wrong but I believe shit happens you can't control. I don't typically intentionally put myself in these situations but there is probably a better chance of a catastrophic accident every time I drive my car yet we all still do it without thinking twice.

True story from a few years ago. Buddy of mine were on a ridge out here in the Big Holes. Afternoon quick n' fierce storm blew through. For some reason, I had one carbon Magura lever on my rear brake, and an aluminum hayes lever on my front. Hands were soaked. Lightning struck within a few hundred yards, buddy was basically blown off of his bike. My right hand felt nothing out of the ordinary, but my left lever starting vibrating, tingling, and then (very mildly) burned enough that I couldn't keep my fingers on the lever. It was super fucking scary. Right after that, we both had to crawl through a barbed wire fence to get off of the ridge.

As soon as we were under cover, bam...bluebird and super-hero dirt.
    Crazy ass riding shit.

And then there are the speculative conversations we have had about riding on ridgelines during heat lightning episodes while running lights all over our bikes and helmets...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

My wife was opening the cattle gate on the lower portion of the Targhee Super D yesterday and got a huge shock when she put both hands on either side of the gate. Crazy. There was a little bit of weather and rumble, but nothing really formed.