Skinning far west Austria

Hello, mostly people from across the pond, hope everyone is surviving summer withdrawal with minimal tears and tantrums..

Just moved out of ski resorts to Feldkirch, Vorarlberg and into a “real” job, meaning I now have to start planning actual holidays. Right now I’m hunting for some decent skinning action (with emphasis on the downhill bit) in the Arlberg or Vorarlberg regions. In theory there are loads of great resorts round here for touring but don’t know the actual routes.

If it’s been discussed before just pointing me in the right direction or to a decent website would be fine, though if there’s anyone gonna be in the area who’s willing to hold my hand while I do this stuff that’d be millions of times better.

Any ideas?

you already realized that it's summer and that it will take some month for decent snow conditions?

search for the Snow for the Euros thread.
    2 forums german speaken: www.freeskiers.net more the young folks, but quite active, www.powderguide.com not that active, but you'll find some tours (like this).

i'll be in that area some days next winter - maybe some more. stormchasing, without any schedule.

Sweet, cheers Marius, will have a trawl through those sites.

Weather's not so much of a problem, both my bosses love skiing so we're just gonna shut up shop when the conditions look good.

Mostly want to have some good routes planned so I can keep an eye on the snow pack for the right areas from the beginining of the season. If you venture out and need someone to dig you out of slips, feel free to give me a shout at short notice, I'm always looking for an excuse to get away from the desk.

Matt what resort(s) did you move away from...? I'm fairly close to you, near Sargans (for the moment). Still trying to decide where to be this winter, debating getting an Arlberg pass, although I'm not sure how cool it'd be skiing only the Arlberg all winter...

I spent a month snowcamping in the area 2 seasons ago and got to see a decent amount of whats available there.... For you I'd highly recommend the Lech/Zuger Tal direction west, loads of nice touring options in that area, and even more so further out. The valley is about 15km long and is full of some great touring spots. Also the Silvretta has a ton of options for touring, as well as Silvretta am Montafon for resort riding. I've also heard of some decent touring in FL, Malbun area, which is probably closest to you of the 3.

If we have another winter like the last one (I wish), you could probably tour some stuff really close to Feldkirch or Bludenz, I know there is a seilbahn there but haven't ridden it or know anyone who has. Vorarlberg has a ton of skinning options overall, its more about finding a partner thats willing to get after it than finding the spots themselves... Let us know what you find out...

Hey man,

Definitely keen on finding more bodies to ride with over the winter and I’m actually working in Buchs so pretty much next door, will have to sort something out.

Been living in the Zillertal valley, Tirol for the last 3 years, so know the backcountry there pretty well. You’re right about the Arlberg pass, was planning on just investing in one as well though really wanted to be able to get out and explore everywhere. That said I’m fairly confident there is enough terrain covered on that pass to see me through 1 season!!

Lichtenstein sounds cool, never even thought of heading down that way, do you have any idea how extortionate the passes are there? If it’s just for a day I’m fine paying a bit more as long as I don’t have to re-mortgage my apartment.

So far my plans involve picking up a local ski touring guidebook and trying to incorporate some lift action and longer/steeper downhill sections (figure after a year at the desk the legs are gonna need easing into the climbs a little more). If you’re ever bored on a Bluebird just let me know, plan is to just leave my skis in the car for emergency escapes!

p.s. As for the snow this winter, don’t worry, I have been praying to the snow god nightly and sacrificing snowblades regularly, just like last summer…all will be fine!

I'm relocating to the area in mid September. Most likely i'll be living in Feldkirch or Bludenz. My girlfriend will be studying for her masters in Dornbirn and I figured I'd tag along. I think I've convinced her to live south of there. The housing in Bregenz/Dornbirn area is so expensive . Much cheaper in Bludenz (and closer to the shred). So we'll see.

We toured the area last October and got the lay of the land. I've been doing extensive google earth research and actually had marked a planned route pretty similar to the one Marius posted. I wont have a car, but the train access from Bludenz or Feldkirch seems fine. I'm planning on getting an Arlberg pass and possibly a Montafon pass, we'll see. The main plan is lift accessed touring. For the first part of the winter i'll only have my touring setup due to baggage restrictions.

I'll keep in touch once I get on the ground. I plan on learning the terrain in the fall by hiking/biking. I generally like knowing where i'm going.