View Poll Results: How many guns do you currently own?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll

45 38.46%

16 13.68%
  • 2-3

13 11.11%
  • 4-6

11 9.40%
  • 6-10

17 14.53%
  • 10+

15 12.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Just trying to gauge a general spread.
    So the question was about shotguns?

got a few but want new skeet gun, .308, .45..... and another .22 for plinking

Serious question for Parvo, Jer, ChugachJed and the other 10+ guys...how often do these guns come out and get fired? How many for are for hunting? How many antiques or collectables? How do you use the non-hunting, non-collectable guns?

Not trying to bust on anyone - to me, it's just another expensive hobby like skiing, cycling, boating, auto restoration, or whatever. Just trying to understand how people who are into firearms (other than hunting) use them, and how often.

It's like any other toy. The proper number is expressed as n = (n+1)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Serious question for Parvo, Jer, ChugachJed and the other 10+ guys...how often do these guns come out and get fired? How many for are for hunting? How many antiques or collectables? How do you use the non-hunting, non-collectable guns?

Not trying to bust on anyone - to me, it's just another expensive hobby like skiing, cycling, boating, auto restoration, or whatever. Just trying to understand how people who are into firearms (other than hunting) use them, and how often.
    The most i ever had was 10.

22 auto pistol
    22 revolver
    22 bolt action rifle.

these three got shot a whole lot, you should be able to understand the differences. The difference between the auto and revolver is practicing double action trigger pull vs how fast you can get rounds on target. Ended up seling the auto because it was kinda redundent but really for a couple hundred bucks it was worth owning

Two 9mms
    One beater that I carried mnt biking some, one fancy target type pistol that also had a rail on it for a light which the other one didnt so I'd keep it handy while around camp at night whiel camping.

357. 8 shot, owned this whiel I was in MT for wildlife protection. Shot a fair amount but more for practice than entertainment.

223 rifle. Cheaper to shoot than a 308 but allows you to get a bit further range than a 22 to practice shooting at distances of up to 500 yards. Also fun to just blast away with as basic ammo isnt THAT expensive.

308 FAL. Really just for shits and giggles and if the world goes to shit. DIdn't shoot it that much.

308 bolt action. ALways meant to build this up to be a 1000 yard gun, but I never got that good, and I never had the money. Never shot it.

I've also owned a 12g, fun to shoot skeet with.

So yea, thats over 10, and I shot them all. Only the 22s 9mms and the 223 got shot on a truly regular basis but all except the 308s got used.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

The AK I can't hunt with (collapsable stocks are a no-no for hunting in WI), so I just use it for repelling jack-booted thugs.

The suppressed .308 SASR/DMR/Whatever you want to call it is used for hunting and shooting zombies. Same with suppressed .260 Tikka. I use the Tikka for really far away zombies.

I think groundhogs are cute, so I mainly use the .22-250 Savage BVSS for shooting golfballs. If you back off far enough, the golfers will never be able to catch you.

The sniped-out 10/22 I use for turning off the lights.

The K-31 would probably be a great hunting rifle, but I primarily use it for embarassing people.

I'm having trouble with the Dan Wesson .44mag, so that's going in to Double J's.

The Striker is just ridiculous.

The 7mm08 Encore used to be my IHMSA pistol - don't shoot it too much now, but I should. It's a rad gun.

The 9's I like to have around for road-kill and in case some clown tries to jump me. Shotgun is for CQ skeet and opening doors really fast.

Seriously - I shoot thousands of rounds per year at steel. It's way more fun than shooting paper or beer cans or road signs - especially at longer ranges with a suppressor: sssnick! .........................thwack! That kind of thing is zen.

I'm a hunting guide so I have a few rifles ostensibly for different species but realistically out guiding I almost always carry my .375 H&H mag. Once in a great while I'll bring the 30-378 W. Mag, only goat or sheep hunting for that one.
    I shoot usually at least once a month except fall and winter when I shoot way more. I usually buy guns on a whim when a great deal presents itself, I've been tipped a rifle and a pistol as well.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I have never owned a gun.
    I shot a 22 at summer camp.
    I am not drawn to guns in any way.
    If I wanted something to shoot targets with I would get Jarts or try a Long Bow.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Zero, now and forever.
    Where are you really from? Probably not Bozeman, or Montana is my guess.

10+ for me.

I hunt with a 30-06, and I have a 9mm in my glovebox and a .44 for hiking in bear country. Plus a whole bunch more for the zombie apocolypse.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

A lot of mine were handed down from my grandpa and uncle. I've restored two of them, as they sat around for years without care. Rust, pitting, etc.

But I only hunt with one rifle, 30-06, and that's only when I get a depradation permit for elk on our farm... Which is getting harder to get.

I bought, sold, and traded a lot when I liven in ID, cuz that's what you do there. I was making decent coin so I bought a gun damn near every other paycheck... and a lot of ammo. Most for shits and giggles but I like collecting arms that have some type of military or historic significance, mostly 1911s.

It's expensive and the only time I've been shooting lately is skeet... which is so goddam fun it will turn any anti-gunner into Ted Nugent. Other than that I'll go to the range with a couple 1911s and ARs with friends, but ammo is spendy and I don't reload.

My daughter has been getting a gun every birthday since she was one, and been shooting them since 9. As a kid we got a tree planted every birthday on our farm so I thought that would be cool for my kid... cept with guns instead of trees. She turns 16 next month and is a lil Annie Oakley... I'm so proud.

.22 Marlin Papoose;
    16 ga. Sears Model 20
    16 ga. Mossberg Model 500
    16 ga. Browning Citori Feather Lightning
    16 ga. Stevens 5100
    12 ga. Remingon 870 slug
    .223/.56 Bushmaster AR15 Carbon

Enough guns to fend off liberals for weeks. It'll be like shooting zombies.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Does everything relate back to penis for you?
    no, that's blurred.

spook Guest
    never had one. will probably inherit my dad's and grandpa's hunting rifles and do nothing with them. shot a 22 one day when i was 12. did pretty well. barricaded for 4 hours after a coked up rotc nutjob shot my teammate, killed an olympic sprinter, shot at police, then blew his brains out all over the football stadium with an ak47 and an ar15 and a few other things that i don't recall.

Four.

.308 Winchester Model 100
    30-30 Winchester Model 94
    16 gauge side by side L.C. Smith
    .22 bolt action
    Old's Cool.

Thanks for the insight folks.

Jer – I think I get the Zen part of shooting. I’ve done some “excursions” with a competitive winter biathlete. He taught me a little about slowing your heartbeat and calming your breathing before shooting. Damn tough to do and takes a shitload of mental focus. Kind of cool when you can actually hit something a minute or so after your heart rate’s been at 160.

Jed – My grandfather had a 375 H&H – pre ’64 Winchester – that he bought when some rich Texan hired him and a friend to hunt Bigfoot. Seriously. It’s a long, hilarious story that involves the Patterson video. He said getting paid to hunt something that didn’t exist was the best job a guy could have. Did that for a year, then his patron died along with the money. I fired it a few times – great gun for really big game, but its overkill for anything in the lower 48. Finally sold it about 10 years ago to a collector.

Parvo – cool what you are doing with your daughter. I taught mine to shoot a 22 rifle when she was five. She later got to where she could hit stationary targets with a 30-06 and 9mm but was never interested in hunting. She got into shooting more when she was a RN at a prison in AZ and received a bunch of training with 9mms and riot guns. She has a CC permit but doesn’t carry – her SO is a policeman so she relies on him (and Mace) for protection. Like you, I’m pleased she understands firearms and how to use them.

My “arsenal” – 30-06 (deer & elk), two 12ga shotguns (waterfowl), 22 target rifle (gift when I was five), 9mm (my Dad’s), and my great-grandfather’s 1892 Winchester 32-20 with octagon barrel.

Nine....

Oh wait, that is my DIN setting.

Guns : Zero

I had potato gun when I was a kid.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Surely you jest. :-)
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

I love that feeling of long range rifle shooting. Bringing your shit together to make a very slick shot is very zen like. Same with shooting clay of any kind. Put the ear protection in and just let them go. And when you can shoot a prairie dog at long range (or a silhouette of one) you shoulder up on a deer and you think that giant bastard? I'll shoot it in the ear hole. Same with pheasants and other birds. Shoot a shit load of clay and a big fat pheasant waddles up into the sky, blamo.

I have and have had a variety of pistols, some I bought because I liked how they looked (357 Python) others how they shoot (custom Kimber 45) and I don't really shoot those that much. Once or twice a year or so.

I have a fairly slick DPMS 3G1 that I thought I needed to have. It shoots nice as hell and all that, I'm not that wacky about the format.

All my other rifles are 700Rems (22-250, 223, 30-06, 7mm rem mag), except a little 17Sako for squirrels, and I guess I've put so many rounds down those they just feel right. Had a 240 Weatherby that shot wicked nice, uncheap. I do have a couple of 94 Winchesters, again I just like how they look and feel.

No such thing as overkill, under kill yes but dead is dead. Interestingly the 375 H&H has an almost identical trajectory to the venerable 30-06 and is similarly quite accurate. Accurate enough to hit running critters at ~300 yards IME.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

...he bought when some rich Texan hired him and a friend to hunt Bigfoot.
    Tom Slick? Seriously? Your Grandpa was on a Tom Slick expedition? That's pretty damn rad.

eight guns in one safe.

I had 8 of my own, but my grandfather died earlier this year and I haven't taken inventory of everything that I inherited yet. He had a pretty big collection of mostly hunting rifles and shotguns, but there are a few handguns- my favorite is the revolver he used when he was chief of police in the 70s.

There are probably 75 guns total. Many of them I'll never fire again, as I don't have much time for hunting/target shooting these days, but I still love guns. I grew up around them and was shooting chipmunks in my grandfather's garden by the time I was 5 years old with a pellet gun. I think it's a healthy kind of responsibility for kids to learn at that age. Kids who play with their parents guns and get hurt/hurt other people were not taught how to properly respect firearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    I think it's a healthy kind of responsibility for kids to learn at that age. Kids who play with their parents guns and get hurt/hurt other people were not taught how to properly respect firearms.
    True words. Grew up with tons of guns around and even shot competition 22's for a while. If my dad ever saw me point anything more powerful than a squirt gun at someone he probably would have freaking beat me..

He taught me to treat every gun like it is loaded at all times even if you "know" it isn't. I was taught well and although I haven't shot in years and don't own any now I wouldn't hesitate to get back into it.

EDIT - even though I shot competition they were always under lock and key that I dd not have.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.