Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Praxis MVP

Praxis MVP

Strike that, I reread that email...

We changed the tip and tail a bit, going with the same longer/slower rise in the tip and tail upturn that we did for the FRS, but not adding the extra rocker.

He also said he is planning to redesign the 109 this winter to make it more hard snow capable, longer running length and effective edge, tighter radius, better carving type of stuff
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Reviews of this ski seem to be all over the place. Talk of changes for next year only add to the paralysis by analysis...

I want a twin, over 190cm, that can rail a soft groomer, hold a decent edge when it's firm but no need to be spectacular there. I want it to enjoy speed and encourage popping off everything. On paper, the 193 mvp looks tits.

What says the collective these days re: mvp?

Praxis MVP

Just wanted to add that Praxis sends skis out razor sharp, tip to tail, and a lot of people don’t realize this, and ski them and find them twitchy.
    They do a review and then later tune them and don’t edit their review.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Reviews of this ski seem to be all over the place. Talk of changes for next year only add to the paralysis by analysis...

I want a twin, over 190cm, that can rail a soft groomer, hold a decent edge when it's firm but no need to be spectacular there. I want it to enjoy speed and encourage popping off everything. On paper, the 193 mvp looks tits.

What says the collective these days re: mvp?
    I'm planning to sell my custom 3+ flex, very good condition 193 MVPs from 13/14 if you're interested. Enduro core, cherry graphic topsheet (nylon), drilled once for pivot @ 301 bsl 1cm behind the line.

Replacing the 193s with 187s MVPs

I'll pass thanks, but would be appreciative of thoughts on the ski? What did you like/ not like, what behavior makes you want to go shorter?

I'm not good at describing the attributes and nuances of a particular ski, but I'll try.

I think the ski is made to power through any rough conditions and get a bit of float in fresh. It isn't a powder ski, or a groomer ski, it's a junk snow ski. Although, it's fun in powder and on groomers.

Used the MVP ~40 days, mostly chopped-up, skied out resort soft snow and it excelled in those conditions. The length and flex made the snow feel smooth and creamy. Very tight trees were challenging, the -1 mount probably didn't help me there. Wish I would've started with my boot center on the line, but I was coming from traditionally mounted skis like a Legend Pro. Well spaced trees were easy and comfortable. Deepest snow I skied was ~3', they trucked along but more through the snow instead of on top.

Always had a great day on the MVP, never really wanted to swap out because of conditions. No new snow, couple feet of fresh... it really did just fine in all of that.
    Last edited by skuff; 12-09-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I can't help but feel that the most direct comparison would be a 4frnt devastator, especially if shopping for a twin over 19x. Anyone got time on both?

Well fuck it. Trigger pulled on a 193 mvp. Keith is so far above and beyond in his communication with clients, it's amazing really.

Well fuck it. Trigger pulled on a 193 mvp. Keith is so far above and beyond in his communication with clients, it's amazing really.
    Right on! You'll enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Just wanted to add that Praxis sends skis out razor sharp, tip to tail, and a lot of people don’t realize this, and ski them and find them twitchy.
    They do a review and then later tune them and don’t edit their review.
    This. I've already noticed a difference taking a gummy stone to the edges but I'm curious on doing more. How much detuning are people doing? I've heard of people completely rounding the edges with a file on Protests, but that's a completely different ski..

Praxis MVP

Reviews of this ski seem to be all over the place
    Seriously. The Blister review is pretty silly—- they should have brought them into a shop and tuned the edges the way they usually like them. Feels like they went ahead and did this with their other ski reviews as the site progressed. I usually concur with them when they review a ski I’ve actually been on, but they’re just off on this one. FTR stock 4 flex for this ski doesn’t hand flex very stiff IMO.

What says the collective these days re:?
    I have the 193 and I just got my hands on a set of 187s, both stock. 5’7’’ 175lbs and I’m currently down 25 lbs since I purchased the 193s.

I don’t think I’ve been on a soft, smooth groomer with the skis. But I feel pretty confident that they don’t carve as well as the 194 4frnt Devastator which has a shorter turning radius and felt way more ready to hook into a carve. I picked the MVP over the Dev but I really love both skis. If I were a bigger guy I think I could justify owning both.

They really come to life at speed and they love to pop around. They’re very manageable to good on firm stuff (I’ve skied them on pretty shitty NE groomers and they were usable), I found myself figuring them out more and more on those conditions as I find them.

I absolutely love the way they ski in up to a foot of powder. Way more fun / drifty / surfy than the 194 dev in those conditions.

I think you’re gonna be happy

Here’s a video of some 187 MVPs in powder. They are great skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by ego7man; 12-21-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ego7man View Post
    Here’s a video of some 187 MVPs in powder. They are great skis.

https://youtu.be/6p7J0Z-FVvM

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That was sick, as are the other videos on your youtube!

god I love storm skiing ....

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    This. I've already noticed a difference taking a gummy stone to the edges but I'm curious on doing more. How much detuning are people doing? I've heard of people completely rounding the edges with a file on Protests, but that's a completely different ski..
    I used a medium gummy down the entire length, then used a stone at 45* to soften the taper sections. Skis were a little grabby before and felt great after the detune.

Anyone have a mvp in the heavy hitter core?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Anyone have a mvp in the heavy hitter core?
    Bought 187s this spring HH, C, cherry veneer. Haven't been on them yet, hopefully first week in January. (sadly, that will be locally)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE4F736D-5C2F-4219-A4DB-777648B50E3C_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	632.9 KB 
ID:	354107

Praxis... Covering the World

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Bought 187s this spring HH, C, cherry veneer. Haven't been on them yet, hopefully first week in January. (sadly, that will be locally)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE4F736D-5C2F-4219-A4DB-777648B50E3C_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	632.9 KB 
ID:	354107

Praxis... Covering the World
    I’m looking to get this build (187, 4 flex, HH-C, veneer), can you comment on the weight and ski attributes, skuff? Pairing with a Praxis/PMGear Kusala so that heavier damp core with the carbon/veneer “pop” feeling in the MVP shape is super interesting to me.

I had a pair of stock 187 years ago and I always thought they were a hair too light for set up Sierra cement, awesome in the morning on a pow day and then as my legs get tired they want to deflect. Having said that they were crazy fun, I keep referencing the MVP in my head when it’s a medium pow day, I’ve been chasing that mid 10X mm width ever since, and I think I just need to come back home to the MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post
    I’m looking to get this build (187, 4 flex, HH-C, veneer), can you comment on the weight and ski attributes, skuff? Pairing with a Praxis/PMGear Kusala so that heavier damp core with the carbon/veneer “pop” feeling in the MVP shape is super interesting to me.

I had a pair of stock 187 years ago and I always thought they were a hair too light for set up Sierra cement, awesome in the morning on a pow day and then as my legs get tired they want to deflect. Having said that they were crazy fun, I keep referencing the MVP in my head when it’s a medium pow day, I’ve been chasing that mid 10X mm width ever since, and I think I just need to come back home to the MVP.
    Can’t comment on custom MVP builds, but I ski the stock 187 MVP and pair it with Moment’s Chipotle Banana which shares some design features of the Kusala. I love the way the MVP skis in medium pow and I feel the designs complement each other very nicely.

Skuff you mind posting the weight of your pair?

I’d really recommend forgoing the carbon for a inbounds ski that you want to have some dampness. HH + veneer will be damp + poppy in the best way possible, if veneer wasn’t so expensive that is the build I would go for 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post

The skis weigh 2034g and 2012g. Unfortunately I've had them on snow 1 day, and only ~2500 vertical, so casual observations are all I have. Snow conditions started as frozen groomers that turned to mush in the sunshine. Mounted on the line, the skis feel energetic, with some decent pop magically combined with smooth dampness. Outstanding edge grip on the frozen junk and easily skids turns everywhere.

I had 2 other pairs of MVP @193cm (1 was 3+ flex, the other was 4 flex) both mounted -1 behind recommended and wanted the shorter length for the tight trees I get into occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Skuff you mind posting the weight of your pair?

I’d really recommend forgoing the carbon for a inbounds ski that you want to have some dampness. HH + veneer will be damp + poppy in the best way possible, if veneer wasn’t so expensive that is the build I would go for 100% of the time.
    I really like skis with some energy and pop so the carbon fits well for me

edit: my pair are 3+, which I prefer to the 4 flex
    Last edited by skuff; 03-28-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    The skis weigh 2034g and 2012g. Unfortunately I've had them on snow 1 day, and only ~2500 vertical, so casual observations are all I have. Snow conditions started as frozen groomers that turned to mush in the sunshine. Mounted on the line, the skis feel energetic, with some decent pop magically combined with smooth dampness. Outstanding edge grip on the frozen junk and easily skids turns everywhere.

I had 2 other pairs of MVP @193cm (1 was 3+ flex, the other was 4 flex) both mounted -1 behind recommended and wanted the shorter length for the tight trees I get into occasionally

I really like skis with some energy and pop so the carbon fits well for me

edit: my pair are 3+, which I prefer to the 4 flex
    Damn, I’m surprised they’re that light. My stock MAP 4 flex nylon were 2060 and 2075 g. I’d think the HH would more then make up for carbon/veneer and -.2mm thickness. I was hoping for 2150-2200g per ski with the HH core.

I’m loving the carbon and veneer on the Kusala, my first praxis with this combo and it’s probably going to be every one after this. Carbon pop and quick rebound, with veneer added dampness.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll be pinging Keith about a custom spring build.

Bump...who skiing MVPs?

Help me, I've become the tech talk bitch I hate. I need an all day everyday Wanker Park ski with a focus on trees and bumps. If its really firm I'll either ski my Freerides or stay home. If it is one on the +/-5 deep days of the year, I've got pow boards.

I definatley don't ski as fast as I used to. 6.0 180...are the 193s too long? Anyone got any 187s to sell?

recently snagged a pair of newer MVPs, the 109 waist version, and I have a mount conflict.

Options: less than 1cm fwd, or about 1.5cm back. Thoughts? Anyone skiing these fwd of recommended?

not sure, but do post about those new 109's. i am loving my current gen mvp 94, had them at mad river last weekend and they slayed.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi