Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Praxis MVP

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post
    Great edit woo, did not know you video toged.
    Longer MVP's fit my quiver as well.
    Thanks yo.

You should ski my 188 jibs. I'm sure they're the same length and the 187 mvps are just more accurately listed. Those skis are the shit and I don't doubt the mvps are better. I loaned them to a buddy who's 6'4" and I had to kick him in the nuts to get them back.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I loaned them to a buddy who's 6'4" and I had to kick him in the nuts to get them back.
    Next time try teabagging.

I forgot that I never lusted for more length on my 187 Concepts. It would be nice in some situations but I never felt hampered by the 187 length. (FWIW I like a bit more length to slightly smooth out the ride for high speed arcing and my nearly 1/2 millenium old knees).
    Last edited by Jim S; 12-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Next time try teabagging.
    Need ladder.

I've loaned to those 188 jibs to quite a few 6'2"+ friends and they all liked them. One even bought a pair afterwords. I'm short but I use ski length to create stability for speeds at which I have no business being at.

I had them out on a few 'low' pow days last year was reminded they really are the most versatile ski I own. Hardpack, corn, pow, funky warm california shit.......that's the ski I take with me on trips. I don't have any problem skiing the length and no one taller than me I've loaned them to had any gripes about the length.

fuck.....we need some snow
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Received word from Keith that a 193 MVP should be ready by Feb. 1st.

Stoked!
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

^^^ yeahbuddy. this is rightfuckingON!
    one step forward, no step backward

Shit that's good news. A carbonz 193 MVP is what I was wishing for.

Thread drift...anyone have or heard feedback on the Ullr out there yet? I'm in the market for a 120ish directional pow board since my L120s are mounted AT.

Stoked!
    THIS is good news.

Stoked!
    My week has completely sucked ass until this news... Have been looking for a ski like this for a while now and will make sure I grab a pair when they are released...! My Look 18 XXL's will now have a great home... Thanks for the heads up...!

Just had a pair delivered. 183s, carbon hybrid, medium stiff. I'm stoked.

That said, I'm going to have to hustle to get these mounted in time for the weekend. There is a punch on the sidewall, and I'm assuming that is the suggested center mounting point. As another poster mentioned somewhere it 'looks' pretty forward.

Can anyone offer some info on mounting point? Pros or cons of -1 or -2 (which 'looks' more appropriate to my jong eyeballs)

Keith suggests on the mark. Which, as you note, is at the sidewall dimple.

Just be sure to get front and back straight

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Just had a pair delivered. 183s, carbon hybrid, medium stiff. I'm stoked.

That said, I'm going to have to hustle to get these mounted in time for the weekend. There is a punch on the sidewall, and I'm assuming that is the suggested center mounting point. As another poster mentioned somewhere it 'looks' pretty forward.

Can anyone offer some info on mounting point? Pros or cons of -1 or -2 (which 'looks' more appropriate to my jong eyeballs)

OK, I have 4 days on mine so far. Skied conditions from groomers to 8" of fresh snow or something in between.

My 183s measure 180cm with a straight pull of a tape measure. No chance to weigh them but they're light. Like other Praxis construction is excellent and you could shave with the edges out of the plastic. I did mount at the mark which is about 6cm back from the ski’s center. My everyday ski is a '11 Mantra and I have a few days on an older 188 Protest (not a ton of deep snow days last year). I’m not a great skier but I have my moments.

So….

First day out the snow conditions went from firm groomers with some inconsistent light snow blown over a few really hard spots. The skis were just awkward. I found the transition from anything soft to hard pack felt very abrupt and the skis either hooked or pushed. At first I thought that these were too light, or that the ski tips were too soft or had too much rocker, I didn’t know. My tips didn't slap or chatter per se, but keep them glued to a turn was not easy. I don't think many skis of this shape / design would excel in these conditions. Once back in softer snow everything is groovy, but my usual forward stance still left me feeling a little squirrley.

When I got home I detuned the skis a little bit, more so from tip/tail contact points out. Even though other reviews have said to dull aggressively I wanted to make small changes to try and gauge any improvements. Again the factory edges are very hard and very, very sharp.

The 2nd and 3rd days brought really nice soft conditions, with about 5" and 8” fresh each night. With these conditions the skis really came to life. I was still taking it mellow but starting to pick up speed. Large radius turn felt very stable and locked in and short tight turns were easily manageable as well. That said the tails snap around SO easily you can change your turns pretty much on demand. Bumps were much easier to navigate than what I am used to and I found myself comfortably getting faster through the day. A friend and I played around in some lower angle trees where the snow was boot deep and tight turns were just plain easy compared to my Mantras. Since (again) I’m not the greatest of skier I don’t always commit to the fall line in trees but as that improves I expect this ski to be super fun in trees. Now that I’m getting comfortable on them I started letting off the brakes and so long as you remember that neutral stance I could rip with confidence. The MVP maintained great float at fast or slower speeds, and the day was very surfy feeling overall. By the afternoon we were plowing through tracked up snow and the ski never once felt hooky or deflected, but rather very stable and awesome.

Yesterday my legs were toast and the conditions were closer to day one than three. The awkward feeling I had on hard pack was gone and I found that just an inch or two of soft snow really lets you do whatever you want on these skis. I'll add to this after I get more days and after different conditions. I can see taking these out 90% of the time now. I’m really pleased. This is a super fun ski.

One thing; the 183cm length does feel shorter than I anticipated, surely due to the design and profile. I’d really like to try the 187cm version and imagine it would suit me better.

Thanks for the review, N1CK.
    What length Mantra do you ski?
    What's your height and weight?
    Aggressive in my own mind

Oops, sorry. I have the 177 Mantra, the 188 Protest, and I'm 5'11 @ 190.

I would think you'd prefer the 187 cm too, at your height and weight, or even the 193(4) cm that will come out mid-winter (this is tgr, of course).
    Aggressive in my own mind

Thought I would update my orininal review. I have about 12 days on my MVP'S now. The bumps at squaw are really getting great. I have a fun lap I do which consists if Mosleys run/chute75 then squaw one to broken arrow to zip Tower 16 then over to head wall to head wall face or sunbowl then start the lap all over again. Amazing conditions this week. I would actually say epic.

Anyways I got 1080 Moguls at 180 to ski bumps as they're getting big and awesome now and I must say that the 1080 moguls suck compared to my 183 MVP'S for moguls. For anything else 1080's are totally useless.

I am now convinced that wide skis are the funnest to ski but also the easiest and least taxing on the legs. The 1080 moguls completely wore me out then today on my MVPs I skied better for longer and was still somewhat fresh afterwards.

I can do anything on my MVPs and I hope they never break.

Cheers and can't wait for more laps tomorrow!

does keith make a narrower protest, is that the wootest? big skis are hurting my ankles and knees everydayl been skiing spatulas kuros and concepts for the past 3 years basically every day. I had a pair of proto concepts, didn[t like em too much, couldn't throw em sideways, but i never detuned em\

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    does keith make a narrower protest, is that the wootest? big skis are hurting my ankles and knees everydayl been skiing spatulas kuros and concepts for the past 3 years basically every day. I had a pair of proto concepts, didn[t like em too much, couldn't throw em sideways, but i never detuned em\
    Yup, wootest is exactly a narrower protest.

I may wait for the 193 but I was wondering who much difference 6 cm (2.4 inches) will have upon the feel and performance compared to the 187. Micro-managing?

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Dear god son, where have you been?

That's EXACTLY what the wootest is. And we all wanted it from our aching ankles too!

I may wait for the 193 but I was wondering who much difference 6 cm (2.4 inches) will have upon the feel and performance compared to the 187. Micro-managing?
    I was in the same boat but I just ordered the 187's. My ski area is more about small windows and not at all wide open so 187 it is.

Any more recommendations on where to mount them would be appreciated.

Last I checked in with him on the MVP, Keith seems to think it should be mounted on the mark. Can't argue based on my few days skiing them (admittedly short ones...).

After reading the Blister Gear Review, I think that I want a pair of 183s to replace a 2012 Sir Francis Bacon. Just can't decide if I should get the medium or medium stiff flex and carbon or no carbon?

5'8" 155#

I'll sell you mine with carbon. Skied on them 5 times.... all yours for $300.

Viva - that's a smoking deal. Also, while I don't think the bacon is a bad ski, I think the MVP is better at literally everything than the bacon.

Med-stiff...unless you're never going to be on hard snow. But it's designed for ripping and charging regardless of snow conditions. Also, for me (6'0" 165). The med-stiff flex on the praxis is just so money. This perfect sweet spot between rage and play that does both extremely well...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?