Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Praxis MVP

Praxis MVP

Anybody had a chance to ski these? I need to replace some dead Bluehouse Maestros (older flat camber design). Wondering how the MVP's are as a daily soft snow ski. I've got some Blizzard Ones for low snow days and Sally Rockers for the deep. Looking for something fun and stable for the 20cm and less days. I am not a fan of lots of camber. I am digging the praxis construction quality and made in the USA. Any info appreciated.

It's a new ski based on small changes to the Mountain Jib. You should be able to find Mountain Jib reviews.

I've only found one review on them unfortunetly. Anybody got any opinions on the Mountain Jibs?

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...is-Mtn-Jib-183

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    I've only found one review on them unfortunetly. Anybody got any opinions on the Mountain Jibs?

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...is-Mtn-Jib-183
    I'm pretty sure that's the only review out there. I don't think they sold too many of them so there's not any reviews. I've gotten more comfortable on groomers with them but I still think they have a speed limit. I only use them on pow days. It's a kick ass ski. Really well built with the most durable base of any ski out there.

PM ml242. He has a bunch of time on Mtn Jibs.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Been skiing my 188 Mtn Jibs for 3 years. They are hands down the most fun, versatile skis I've ever owned. After 3 seasons of 50-100 days per season, they are pretty beat up, but I refuse to retire them. As long as it is not a 20cm plus day, or a boilerplate day they are my ski of choice. They handle a wide variety of conditions super well. Hold an edge like a GS ski on the groomed, surf super well in pow. My only complaint with them is the stiffness. They are a tad soft for crud busting (they are a 5.5 out of 10 flex according to Keith). They get knocked around a bit in choppy snow. I think the 187 MVP in a medium or medium/stiff would fix this issue though. I've been asking Keith to make the MVP for years now, and he finally did! It's going to be a killer ski. Get it.

The 187 in a medium/stiff in my opinion is a killer Kicking Horse ski. It will slay CPR and Feuz, but will still be fun on the laps back to the gondi. FWIW, I ski Rocker2s as my pow ski. I'm 5'9" and 150lbs.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a good ski for the horse. We are about the same size and I was thinking the same thing, 187 in med/stiff. How many days til winter?!

I've had some 188 and 183 mtn jibs. I pretty much agree with everything tck said. I sold the 183s. You couldn't take the 188s from me if you had a gun. I friggin love those things.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Woo, have you heard anything from Keith on the MVP? As rad as the whole line is this year, I am most stoked for the MVP. I have a pair of Concepts from last year, and they really didn't do it for me on the groomed/hard snow. Perfect touring ski though.

No but I haven't talked to him in a while either. What would you want to know?

I still haven't skied any concepts but it defintely seems to be a love'em or leave'em thing. Some folks talk about them like they're crack, others like they're some experiment gone wrong.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Slightly off-topic, but does anybody have some footage of skiing the Protest? I'm so close to ordering a pair, having had an irrational attraction to them for the past year, but I'd really like to see them in action.

They seem to be some international ski of mystery; everybody raves about them, yet there are hardly any reviews (but thank you Blister) and no footage that I've been able to dig up.

Thanks gentlemen

Here's some footage I shot of a buddy of mine skiing them. Bunch of other skis in there (including praxis pows) but they're in there. Like me, he pretty much quit skiing his pows after getting his protests.

edit: and you can see the tips of mine in the lower right at 2:00

Quote Originally Posted by TCK View Post
    Woo, have you heard anything from Keith on the MVP? As rad as the whole line is this year, I am most stoked for the MVP. I have a pair of Concepts from last year, and they really didn't do it for me on the groomed/hard snow. Perfect touring ski though.
    FWIW, I'll have some info for you in a couple of weeks....

http://blistergearreview.com/articles/press/las-lenas-2

And I agree with you re: the Concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Here's some footage I shot of a buddy of mine skiing them. Bunch of other skis in there (including praxis pows) but they're in there. Like me, he pretty much quit skiing his pows after getting his protests.

And what fine tips they are!

Thanks Woo. Very nice footage/edit, and some strong skiing too. 187 Protests ordered, the excitement mounts.

I too have the mtn. jibs in a 183, and they are one of my favorite skis in the quiver. They carve like a gs ski on hard pack. They are very poppy and super fun in the park, off booters, wind lips, cat tracks, and natural terrain features. I love my praxis pows in the powder, but it's unreal how well the mtn jibs float in the pow. they bring a smile to my face every time i ski them. My ONLY complaint about them is that when you ski them in heavy chop and crud, the tip is a little soft and they definitely do deflect. But on firm snow, fresh snow, or freshly tracked snow, they're AMAZING.

When I blew up my vct's last year, they became my everyday ski and i had ZERO problems using them on firmer snow. I would highly recommend getting a pair.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

I ride the 188. Set up as my touring ski. So beat, but total survivors. Incredibly fun in any condition, and no matter how bad my gear whoring gets, I don't think I would ever sell them.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Here's some footage I shot of a buddy of mine....

Mad shredding.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

That was fun to watch... even made me wish this traffic jam I'm in was longer.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Nice skiing mike Vaughn. Nice shooting k woo. Tahoe stoke is getting there.

For MVP reviews wonder if there is anything on the '12 / '13 praxis thread. Remember people saying they liked the rocker. Profile is aggressive.

I did my thoughts on these skis at this link:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...axis-MVP-187cm

Also, I skied yesterday at Squaw. Great day. Snow was nice, but wet, heavy and very choppy. These skis went through the chop like butter. It was amazing.

Good luck!

I'm going to hope that Keith makes a slightly longer version for next season.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

These keep coming up in my ski thoughts.

Ummmm. Might have to do some selling.

These or the woo 2.0....................

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I'm going to hope that Keith makes a slightly longer version for next season.
    Count me in for sure if this happens. I am so intrigued by this ski and have been looking for a ski like this, but at 6'4" and 205 lbs I am looking for a 191 plus. And am of course going back and forth on the 194 Freeride. Have some FKS 18 just waiting for a ski. Come on Keith!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Count me in for sure if this happens. I am so intrigued by this ski and have been looking for a ski like this, but at 6'4" and 205 lbs I am looking for a 191 plus. And am of course going back and forth on the 194 Freeride. Have some FKS 18 just waiting for a ski. Come on Keith!
    ^^^3rds or whatever keith! i emailed you and was wanting to pull trigger but needed a longer length for this spot in quiver. being 6'2" 190.

build a 194!
    one step forward, no step backward

Great edit woo, did not know you video toged.
    Longer MVP's fit my quiver as well.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines