Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Praxis MVP

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    what size are you on vt-freeheel?
    how do they compare to the gpo's?

edit: I see 183's above.
    Not on the GPO, I have Mountain Jibs and these are a marked improvement. Able to carve our EC icy groomers one minute and effortly turn in 18" of hike to powder the next. I don't have to but could 1 ski quiver them and be happy. Only ski I would miss is the W105.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    E-mail fresh 1/27

"For the rest of the winter we will be offering weekly specials on some models remaining in our 2014 inventory. To start off, this week the MVP will be available at 20% off. Currently, all sizes are in stock and ready to ship. If you are unfamiliar with the MVP, it is one of the most all- around skis in our lineup. Use the MVP as your do it all twin tip. "
    http://www.praxisskis.com/products/mvp.html
    Love mine
    fuck!! this is getting tough. been eyeing up a 183 carbon med/stiff for almost a yr as a daily touring rig. should have a huge sweet spot w med/stiff and that tail and incredible weight for the size. must resssisssst

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    fuck!! this is getting tough. been eyeing up a 183 carbon med/stiff for almost a yr as a daily touring rig. should have a huge sweet spot w med/stiff and that tail and incredible weight for the size. must resssisssst

What I am on and it's $$$$$$$.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Use coupon code PRAXIS and save an additional 10%!

I hope your enjoying this. I'm on the buy 2 pair intend on selling 2 pair but only sell 1 program the last couple yrs and I've already reached my quota. maybe i'll see how work goes or summer praxis deals

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Use coupon code PRAXIS and save an additional 10%!
    and my referrals. ok let me check this out

nope ski rich and cash poor

Just ordered 187's to replace my "liberated" 186 Rossi Sickles. I have high hopes.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

How much does the 193 MVP weigh with the carbon option?

By my calculation, 8.8 lbs. So really light for a 110mm 193 cm ski that won't dissappoint on the descent.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Just ordered 187's to replace my "liberated" 186 Rossi Sickles. I have high hopes.
    I am interested in this comparison, when you get the chance.

Skied my 187 MVP a few days ago: definitely the most playful ski I've ever ridden.
    Looking forward to using them in this storm we have now.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWest View Post
    I am interested in this comparison, when you get the chance.
    I will certainly report back when I have some time on them.

Most of my ski gear was stolen and I couldn't find a 186 Sickle as a replacement for my lost gear, and this seemed like the closest comparison.

As an added benefit, the only complaint I ever had on the Sickles was that the wider tip and lack of taper was sometimes a tiny bit hooky in heavy snow, and I think the shape of the MVP addresses that, so I'm hoping it's actually better than the Sickle... but that's a lot to live up to.

I love my 180 BC's for touring and expect good things from this ski as a daily driver for Western Canada.

What tune do these come with out of the box?

Read somebody putting a 1 to 1 on them, which didn't make sense for out of the box.

out of the shop they have the sharpest tip to tail edges i have ever owned.
    de-tune the tips n tails for no hooky holding power.
    i been on the mvp from the RX and noticed them to be quite versatile.
    b

Anyone have a rocker profile picture for the MVP? Any comparisons vs billy goat tour?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	praxis mvp 002 (271x800).jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	149838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	praxis mvp 001 (273x800).jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	149839

Tip and tail on a 193 MVP.

Own both, haven't toured either. MVP would win the weight contest, but it's also skinnier.

Only have 2 days on the MVP, but thus far I'd take the Goat over the MVP. I got the MVP to be super turny/smeary, which it is on flat surface, but not getting the same results in the trees and bumps. Goats win for float in pow for sure.

A more apples to apples would be a Goat vs GPO or similar waist width Praxis ski.
    Last edited by capulin overdrive; 02-02-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat rock & mvp 003 (261x640).jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	149855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat rock & mvp 002 (215x640).jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	149856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat rock & mvp 001 (245x640).jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	149857

Tour Billygoat rocker and MVP and Billygoat together.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    I'd make the trade and go from there. While I'm a proponent of long skis I'm starting to see that a lot can be accomplished on shorter boards. For your intended purpose, the trade seems like a good decision and if they don't meet your expectations they may be easier to sell than the libertys or you can keep them for "family skis" and add 193s later on.
    Made the trade... Now I just gotta decide between sollyfits (which let's me mount anywhere I want, including on the line) or I can put inserts in existing fks holes (on line) and Dynafit about - 1.5.

Given they are already short, does Dynafit at -1.5 sound like it will help or just be out of sweet spot?

Edit: I've got protests for real pow, so this would be more variable tours. I'm 5'10“, 185 +gear. Still getting used to centered stance and not tip driving.

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    Made the trade... Now I just gotta decide between sollyfits (which let's me mount anywhere I want, including on the line) or I can put inserts in existing fks holes (on line) and Dynafit about - 1.5.

Given they are already short, does Dynafit at -1.5 sound like it will help or just be out of sweet spot?

Edit: I've got protests for real pow, so this would be more variable tours. I'm 5'10“, 185 +gear. Still getting used to centered stance and not tip driving.
    I mounted my 183's on the line with sollyfits. It is a forward mount point and requires a centered drive to make it work. I have around 15 days on them so far skiing a lot of icy groomers and 3or 4 days of powder skiing and have had no problems with this mount point, easy to initiate and a clean release. I have not toured or skied with my plums mounted yet so have no input reguarding them.[may do that today] If you want to save the cost of the plates a 1.5 cm rearward mount for touring shouldn't be a problem.
    Your best bet would be to insert them for the FKS and ski on them awhile. If you like it insrt for the Fits, if you don't mount some plates. Same amount of holes and inserts make better plugs.

Have Fun
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Your best bet would be to insert them for the FKS and ski on them awhile. If you like it insrt for the Fits, if you don't mount some plates. Same amount of holes and inserts make better plugs.
    ^^^^ This. Why not just put the FKS (or dynafits) on there with the existing holes and see how you like it? If it works, you can throw inserts in, if not, mount fwd with plates. Seems like you have nothing to lose. Plus, given your weight and inclination to drive your skis, I think mounting back is the way to go on 183s.

Not sure what your BSL is, but you're welcome to try my 187s, which are mounted on the dimple. My BSL is 310.

Hey thanks for that comparison Cap'O. Maybe the concepts would be a better touring ski on account of the low rocker? I'm leaning more towards a billygoat tour than a MVP now.

Quote Originally Posted by klikboom View Post
    Hey thanks for that comparison Cap'O. Maybe the concepts would be a better touring ski on account of the low rocker? I'm leaning more towards a billygoat tour than a MVP now.

I have no reservations recommending the Billygoat for the down, not there yet with the MVP and scared I never will be. Was gonna give the MVP a few more rides before giving a review, but it's appearing that the lower rocker is what is keeping me from liking the ski.

Mine just arrived and are mounted, de-tuned and ready for a weekend of icy groomers and rocks in the Canadian Rockies.

Mounted with Griffon demo's and I'm starting on the line first, and the line "looks" pretty good to me. Shape looks pretty awesome in person and the very minimal camber under foot is exactly what I want... but there's a bit more rocker in the tip and tail than I anticipated. Still not much, though, which is what I was looking for in this ski, which I'm hoping is going to be my daily driver.

As expected, build quality is top notch and the weight is spot on as listed in the specs at 9 pounds. Subjectively, they feel pretty light for a 187 with this width under foot.

I have 187 carbon med stiff mounted with a baron on the dimple.

Only have had them out twice. Once early season on spring like conditions and they were fine, but a little flappy at speed compared to my mantra. But that was not a fair comparison imo.

Yesterday got out into a variety of conditions. East coast.
    Untracked just below knee deep they performed incredibly well. Just responsive and playful. Easy.

Wind blown fairly firm carvable steep they were spot on. Responsive and held the edge perfectly.

Cut up powder on the side of a groomer to get back to the lift was just stoopid fun.

Firm carvable moguls...ahh, I hate that shit these days, but they worked just fine. I'll be taking them to Taos next week and I'm sure I'll see plenty more of that.

So far very happy.

Anyone have a direct comparison between this and the GPO? While the MVP is more of the waist size I was looking for, on paper the longer camber contact area and lower tail rocker of the GPO seem to make it more versatile. Or am I talking out of my ass here?