Looking for Bitterroot/Darby, MT Recreation Beta

Taking the wife to Triple Creek Ranch just outside of Darby, MT for our ten year the end of september. Would def like to do some outdoor activities in between the meals, wine and pampering. Any recs on hikes in the area worth checking out (long and short)? Also, have the option of rafting the salmon river one day. Worth it? Looks like class I-III. Finally, wondering about any mt biking in the area. Not bringing the bikes (flying in) and wife isn't a huge biker but if something is worth checking out, would be happy to rent and/or go solo for a few hours while the wife relaxes at the spa.
    oh and might try and sneak away to drop a fly if anyone wants to share their stash

There should actually be some decent fall riding in/around that area and Hamilton. Check out Red Barn for bike demos and trail info.
    Don't know much about white water, but I also don't know if they'll be much of a river left by the end of the summer.
    There should be plenty of river and creek fishing.
    Plenty of hiking in the bitterroot and beaverheads.
    Go eat lunch in Hamilton once or twice. I'd recommend the Bitterroot Brewery. There's also now 2 breweries in Hamilton and 2 in Stevensville which is about a half hour north of you.
    You're kind of in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a narrow part of the valley down there, but it's very pretty and easy to get out of there since there's only 1 road to figure out.

Sent from my cell phone. no, a cell phone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

There should actually be some decent fall riding in/around that area and Hamilton. Check out Red Barn for bike demos and trail info.
    Don't know much about white water, but I also don't know if they'll be much of a river left by the end of the summer.
    There should be plenty of river and creek fishing.
    Plenty of hiking in the bitterroot and beaverheads.
    Go eat lunch in Hamilton once or twice. I'd recommend the Bitterroot Brewery. There's also now 2 breweries in Hamilton and 2 in Stevensville which is about a half hour north of you.
    You're kind of in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a narrow part of the valley down there, but it's very pretty and easy to get out of there since there's only 1 road to figure out.

thanks for the info. good point on the river flow. we're at an all inlcusive but always tempted to check out a new brewery.

Darby used to be one of the most badass speed traps in Montana...sorry, that's all i know about Darby...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Seconds on the Bitterroot Brewery- yummy food and beer.

GREAT riding up around Lost Trail Pass- look for Warm Springs Ridge-one of the best ridge rides you have never heard of, saw a small pack of wolves (or a pack of small wolves) on the way to the trailhead. I bet you could connect w someone at the Red Barn, rent a bike, etc, just bring your kit and pedals.

hikeTrapper peak.... fun and the biggest peak in the range, easy day trip. lake Como is a pretty cool alpine lake with trails around it. might be ideal to hit up weekday as it gets cunted up with lots of motor boat traffic on weekends. Pray that the fires are at bay, september is kinda borderish, and with this summer the way its going who knows?

thanks all. does red barn rent bikes? couldn't really tell from their website.

They probably demo or something.

No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

There's a great commercial hot springs south of Wisdom.
    Nice drive, not too far from Darby, iirc.

Ditto climbing Trapper Peak. It is very close to the Triple Creek Ranch, and it is very straightforward. Highest point in the Bitterroots. The Watchtower Peak trail is closeby too.

Like someone else said, the Town Marshall in Darby is a complete dickhead. Do not go even 1 mph over the limit. Seriously.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The steakhouse just south of darby is really great. I forget what it's called but the name is moose related.

+3 On hiking trapper peak. Its 4000' in 4 mi with an incredible view of the bitterroots. If you want more family friendly hiking you could try Saint Mary's peak, there is a good look out on top.

http://www.summitpost.org/trapper-peak/353250
    http://www.summitpost.org/saint-mary-peak/399113

Bitteroot Brewery is tasty.

Try Maria's Restaurant in Stevensville for amazing italian cooking. You have to call before hand, usually the week before if your going on a busy night. Only weekends. (406) 777-3681

Rafting on the Salmon will by low. I haven't done the day stretch that they run commercially at low water, but in medium or higher flows it was fun, nothing crazy. Your better bet would be the alberton gorge. Its more fun and closer to where your staying. Plenty of guides in missoula.