Vise Recommendations

I'm in the market for a new vise my $20 Cabelas special is just about done plain old wore the jaws out on it. I feel kinda sad letting it I've spent many enjoyable hours behind it but its time to move on. I've narrowed my search down to 3 vises and just wanted to know if anyone had opinions on them. I'm trying to keep the budget under $150 less is better but I wouldn't mind spending a little more if needed.

I'm looking at the

Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose but kinda bummed since I would need a pedestal base for it which ups the price or just find a way to use the C-clamp. Going rate is around $130

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

Second is the Anvil Atlas vise seems the going rate is $120 or so with the pedestal base which is a plus.

http://anvilusa.com/The_Atlas_Vise.htm

Last one is the Peak rotary vise which comes in at the top of the budget around $150 which I'm not stoked about but on the bright side I would be able to support the LFS since they carry this one.

http://peakfishing.com/TyingVises.html

Any thoughts? They all seem to be about the same feature wise with only about 40 bucks price difference between the 3. And my current vise is such a turd that any of them would be an improvement.

I sell a lot of the peaks, $150 for a full rotary with a wide range of hook sizes that's made in CO. Good peeps too that will go above and beyond to back up the product. There's a reason your local shop carries it.

Visit your local shop. Ask the shop guy if you could tie some flies on a few vises. The one that performs best to your expectations is what you want.

Dennis

I dig my Dyna-King.

I'd go mess around with a few. You'll be happy with an upgrade!

If you have never used a rotary vise, spend some time with one before you buy. I didn't like them much. It was very crowded behind the hook.

And I'll second the dyna-king recommendation. I've been very happy tying on a squire. Super solid hook hold at all sizes without changing jaws, and hook size adjustment is easy and forgiving.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Drinking and womanizing are my go-to's.

I have a Danvise that I really like. It's mostly composite so the price is less. Great jaws and awesome customer service. I broke mine because I did something really stupid. I turned the vise when it was locked and broke the shit out of it. I told them what I had done and offered to pay for the price of the repairs and they sent me a new one for free. They even replaced the jaws that were toast due to me not adjusting them properly. It's a bit tough to tie really small midges, but other than that I love it. I do think they sell midge jaw extensions.

I need to go try some out but my local shop isn't exactly local. I guess I could make the drive to whorebelas but they wouldn't take nicely to me tearing up all the packaging. The vise I have now is a knockoff of the Thompson A vise so anything is up.

Chowda other then the crowding anything else bother you? I tie for salmon and steel mainly 12-4 hooks. I wrap tons of chenille and that's one of the reasons I was looking to go rotary.

Angler I looked at the Danvise a little bit ago. Not that I'm hard on my equipment but just to much plastic for my liking.

I have a lower end Renzetti that I really like. Need to tie more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post

Chowda other then the crowding anything else bother you? I tie for salmon and steel mainly 12-4 hooks. I wrap tons of chenille and that's one of the reasons I was looking to go rotary.
    That was my only complaint, along with the added cost. I didn't see myself using rotary much and thought the money was better spent on upgraded jaws.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Regal with SS jaws...never buy another vise for the rest of your life...

http://regalvise.com/
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)