Hand operation update and summit apology

Some of you know I had surgery on feb 1 for what was thought to be a ucl.
    Turns out my ucl was gone, the ligament on the far side of the thumb was gone, and something called the dorsal cao was completely torn.

Couple hours later and a few metal spikes driven into my thumb and I am out of surgery. (one spike goes through the second bone, into the third bone and then ends up somewhere in my palm - x ray looks gnarly)

on Friday I had to change casts to a more permanent one, my thumb looks like frankenstein, stitches and purple flesh everywhere. The cast change hurt like a bitch to. The stitches had stuck to the old cast and when thy took it off it felt like my flesh was being peeled off.

Today is the first day without pain pills also the first somewhat lucid day.

Unfortunately this also means that for the last 5 days the summit was pretty far out of my mind. I completely ignored it and just wallowed in my own pain and depression.

I have heard sherpa style has been really on top of things so I owe her everything.

Sorry for dropping the ball everyone, and hopefully the summit will all be a good experience for you.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater
    Sorry for dropping the ball everyone
    Nonsense dude. You've gone beyond the call of duty. Heal up and hopefully have some fun.

Hakuna matada bro. See ya in a few days. PM me your phone number if you would. Grassyass.

No Apologies required!
    Calmer than you dude

This is what I read...

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater
    Today is the first day without pain pills which also means it's the first day I can safely drink myself silly.
    Thanks for all your hard work Frozen. The SLT contingent will be seeing you in a couple of days. And since I bought a pitcher for Buzz who was on the DL a couple of years ago, I'll get you one also. And yes, it's all for you. You don't have to share unless you want to.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I want some pain pills
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey
    I want some pain pills
    Says the guy who won't drink....

Glad to here your surgery went well. I'm sure all of the summit goers will forgive you.

the worst is over

hey frozen....it's all "downhill" from here so to speak. I "think" I posted to one of your threads on this? (I had same surgery)...but I only had one pin stuck in and didn't have the second tear either. At any rate, I'm still casted but already been out 10 days since I got the second cast on. Theres a little adjustment to no poles and it's kind of a bitch if you fall. Hopefully your doc gave ya a good cast (small). Heal up well!

Oh yea...even with small cast I couldn't fit in a glove. I very cool skier on another board made me a fleece mitt with velcro and it had a pocket to keep a hand warmer in. It worked fantastic.
    Last edited by Rdy2ski; 02-06-2005 at 09:29 PM.

your party certainly didn't suffer
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

You should scan the x-ray and post it. The stake going through your thumb is pretty cool.

Sorry for dropping the ball everyone,
    Whatcha talking about, mang - couldn't have asked for a better host Sunday night. You and Sherpa did a great job putting this together, much appreciation going out your way.