Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    ^^^^ word!

i just got done doing my first brake bend, but that damn spring does not want to go back in.

will try the zip tie method.

thanks!

edit: used the rubber mallet (via wes mantooth) to get the spring back in, worked great!

however, when it finally clicks in, the spring does not appear to be all the way back (the closed end "tongue" of the spring doesn't appear to be far enough back); but, when one installs the semi circular piece it draws the spring all the way back to the appropriate position.
    Last edited by pfluffenmeister; 12-07-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    however, when it finally clicks in, the spring does not appear to be all the way back (the closed end "tongue" of the spring doesn't appear to be far enough back); but, when one installs the semi circular piece it draws the spring all the way back to the appropriate position.
    Each time is different but yeah, the semi-circle piece helps set the spring in a lot of the time. Once the spring is in, it's in. It's hard to get it halfway

I've probably bent 20 pairs of brakes since I made that video about 2 years ago and the method has never failed me
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

^^^ right on, the video tutorial is awesome.

thanks.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

will using a blow torch help significantly in not breaking the brake? would home depot or lowe's help out?

That is the shizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Most excellent.

So I'm going to be attempting this again soon. The last time I tried I ended up snapping a couple of the brake arms. Other than going slow, does anyone have any proven tips to not snap the arms? Does heat help, and if so how much? Are we talking heat gun or blow torch?

I snapped three of four brake arms using propane torch heat and trying to bend the brakes in the heel pieces. I did not get the metal near cherry red, and they seemed to get more brittle. I could bend the non-heated sections of the snapped off arms easily with a ski pole after I had snapped them off. I just did that to see how easily the non heated brakes bent.

If someone want a cheap pair to work with, I have some Look TT09 turntables with skinny brakes I'd sell for $75 shipped

never thought i'd post in this epic thread in 2011, but go figure.
    i'm thinking on getting my hands on a outrageously cheap p15s with skinny brakes. but as much as i'd like to put them on BD megawatts (130 waist), i seriously doubt the possibility to bend them that wide. would it be at all possible or should i pass and buy new xxls?

It's possible....do both, everyone needs XXl's
    "Shredding the Gnar Like the Cowboys We Are"
    www.alaskaheliskiing.com

Just bent some skiny brakes to fit my new Pillowfights. Fear not, they will fit your megawatts

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    A quick tip on getting that goddamn spring back in under the brakes when you re-assemble the heel.

I put it in a vice, squeezed it so both ends were a couple cm's apart, then clamped a zip tie around it to keep it in place, slide the compressed spring in there, unclip the zip tie, SNAP!!! That pain in the ass spring pops right back into place.
    just a heads up on this old but amazing thread... be careful w/ the zip tie. I had it bust a solid looking zip tie on me and thwap me in the finger.

bump for a friend and this should be made stickey
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    So I'm going to be attempting this again soon. The last time I tried I ended up snapping a couple of the brake arms. Other than going slow, does anyone have any proven tips to not snap the arms? Does heat help, and if so how much? Are we talking heat gun or blow torch?
    I just bent a pair today based on the advice in this thread (props to the OP and Wes Mantooth for the excellent vid).

I used a heat gun at max (~1050F) before bending, and it made a small but noticeable difference as best I could tell. I only held the heat gun on the brake arm for maybe 1-2 minutes before each bend. I don't think you really want to get into blow-torch territory.

I have some fks with the skinny brkes (~75mm). I am mounting on a 95mm ski. Do you think i need to take them apart and bend? or will i get away with just tweaking them? it is only 10mm per side.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

You'll probably have to bend. I ran a set of stock brakes pn 89mm skis and I felt that was pretty mich max.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Noticed the video link had gone bad. Found this one...

heat or no?

Does anyone have any experience with using heat or not when you bend?

Heard stuff about braking them both with and without heat.

Does anyone have the answer? what is best?

I have a fks 185 race from 06/07

Can you read?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny26 View Post
    Heard stuff about braking them both with and without heat.
    Does anyone have the answer?
    You seem to have answered your own question...
    Do what you like, Like what you do.