Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I killed my dog

I was going to say "At least you don't need to ask Hutash for any advice..." but I am too late

Sorry, that had to be teh suxxors.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    This...just to keep fact from fiction. It is the rickettsia, a bacteria like organism, not the parasite that is the problem.

Just don't feed raw salmon, cooked is fine.
    Thanks for the info. I just remember the vet saying dogs die from eating salmon, so I made damn sure they never got near the stuff after that, raw or cooked. Good to know the facts.
    [/hijack]

Similar thing happened to my old man. In our late teens my younger brother had an awesome Jack Russel terrier, little fucker was a ratting machine. He also really liked a neighbours stupid little dog and would always find a way to get into their yard to bury his own bone. The neighbour used to call the police, who, no shit, sent out a car to "arrest" the dog. Happened 4-5 times, police didn't care as the dog was cute and once it was "arrested" they would take it in turns to walk him / excuse for a cigarette.

We tried fencing the yard in but it was pretty big so we resulted in a huge chain set up. One hot day my old man had just taken him for a walk, went to chain him up but there wasn't any shade so he moved the chain to the one shaded area - a massive deck out the back of the house with an 8' drop on most sides.

Dog hung himself by jumping off the 8' deck. A jump he'd never tried before.

All three of us kids were on separate vacations, so my dad had to break the news three times over. It never got easier, the guilt he felt was insane. To make it worse he's deaf and has no idea if the terrier or our other dog even tried to yelp / bark / whatever.

Massive vibes to you and your kid.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Wow , that's a sad deal man .
    I hope your daughter isn't to traumatized .

Had a similar thing happen to our chow when I was a kid. We were up in the lake chain and stopped for dinner, old man tied the dog to a rope on the boat like we had done many times before. After dinner we came back to the boat and she was hanging off the side... must've missed the jump to the dock and the rope was just the wrong length to hang her. Fuck was that a somber ride back...

One of the most depressing threads ever, on a couple of levels.

Tuckerman, sorry for your loss, and the same goes for the others that told a sad story here.

Our dogs are a source of extreme happiness and in the end, great sorrow. It's not easy to deal with no matter what the cause of their demise. I can't imagine the pain from this situation. Don't beat yourself up too bad and go have a good cry with the kid.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

spook Guest
    that's really tough, tuckerman. i had something similar almost happen until jake's name popped into my head in a weird desperate way and i ran out to my bus where she was tied up and somehow she'd managed to jump through the window and was hanging there by her neck motionless. thankfully she was still alive and unharmed but it was only a matter of minutes longer. it haunted me for a long time.

you just have to let it go the best you can and do whatever needs to be done for your daughter which, honestly, might include talking to someone trained to deal with trauma, particularly something so visual and physical if she tried to cut the dog down, especially since she apparently wasn't able to do it. some people might do fine running out getting another dog, but lots don't. if you beat yourself too much you might consider talking with someone, too.

hang in there.

Sorry Tuckerman. Thanks for posting.

Sorry for your loss...Keep your chin up. Might've/Could've/Should've's will not provide any sense of closure, dont let your thoughts grind away at you. Sounds like you need to focus on your daughter for a bit - thats a positive path forward.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Such sad news. +++++ vibes!

Our dog is plenty happy crated in the house, FWIW.

All dogs go to heaven. I've sent 5. Love to your daughter.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Shit - that sucks, especially for your daughter. Oh man.

+++++++VIBES+++++++

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    All dogs go to heaven. I've sent 5. Love to your daughter.
    yeah pretty much how i would put it
    sorry T

I sobbed for weeks when my furkid (stolen from SFB) died of heat stroke.

It was kind of my fault, but no douche on the internet could ever make me feel as bad as the reality of it all and a tough lesson learned. That was about 8 years ago, and I still can't bring myself to spread his ashes.

I know how you feel Tuckerman, it sucks.

Hang in there.

So sorry man. Hang in there.

Hey Tuckerman, I'm really sorry for you and for your daughter. Sad about the dog and these terrible circumstances. At least he had a place where he was loved during his time here...many animals don't get that chance.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Very sorry for your loss.

JESUS CHRIST!! Enough of the dead dog threads!

Vibes for you Tuck(and your daughter) - Heaven for the pup.

For fucks sake!

Sprite's last sentence x2.

damn...

True working dogs can be a real challenge to keep in a family, pet situation. I have a Karelian Bear dog who, by nature, squares off with bears and chases them off. It worries me sometimes that the bear will give her a good swat and that will be it, but I got the specific breed so I would have a dog that can keep up with a mtn bike and ward off bears out in the bush. I know very well that someday it could lead to her demise. In the meantime, I will enjoy her company and loyal dedication to what she thinks is her "job".
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Oh man. I'm so sorry. Try not to blame yourself.
    Almost happened to me and Wally, but his collar popped off. I try to be very scientific with the runner now.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0713.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	808.0 KB 
ID:	118054

Tuck, You did something that you thought was in your pups best interest. What happend is heart wrenching. Our Aussie, like yours, is part of our family. He can never be replaced but you and your girl can enjoy another dog. Get a pup and start healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    I left work immediately and got home to a horrific scene of her dog hanging two feet off the ground covered in flies. I feel awful, he must have spend the whole time spinning that lead trying to get free.
    Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post

hang in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post

Hang in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
    Hang in there.
    lulzz...you guys are dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I love my life sweetheart.

But I get your point... It's cool if I insult someone behind their back when they have no way to defend themselves but goddamn me if I do it do your face.
    i'd hardly call it to someones face over the internet hiding behind a keyboard, not so sure you'd have said the same shit to his face seeing how he and his family are feeling