Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Indepence Day 2012

Wow, I can't even spell. Can somebody fix that?

Celebrated the Fourth by taking a long walk into the Madisons to climb and ski a nice summer line. I have been thinking of doing this trip for a while, especially since seeing it look like this from summer bike rides in Julys past...

Clearly there's better times to be back there skiing, but with me in gimpville all winter I need to make up for lost time. Doesn't hurt that most of the local trails have been bone dry for a month already.

So I finally convinced one of my faithful to lug in our stupidly heavy packs for a one nighter to do just this. We would walk in, set up camp, check out the line with the camera that evening, climb and ski in the early morning, walk out in the afternoon. Here's how it went.

We walked by what would be some cool lines midwinter.

We set up camp in the perfect spot:

We took a walk over the ridge to check out the peak:

We chilled:

And then it was up with the first bird chirp and down to business:

more soon.
    Last edited by tone capone; 07-06-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Snow looked like shit but skied really well.

My buddy Zed had his overnight pack with his hiking boots and shit in em so I felt a little bad, but he ripped it.

We were lucky to still have enough snow to zoom on over to the lower headwall, so that was nice.

We put our hiking boots back on and walked back over the ridgeline to camp.

But not without a look back at our tags:

The bugs weren't even that bad, probly cause I brought a half a pound of deet.

We chilled and took a nap at camp cause it was so nice just to be there and we were tired.

We slogged the 8.5 miles out the drainage with our merciless packs. It hurt alot but we lived.

So thats all, now you don't have to go back there cause you've seen what its like. And you sure as hell don't wanna see any of the slog in or out. And you definetly don't wanna see how a branch fell on my buddy and stuck him with a quarter inch wood chip under his thumbnail. Single most unfortunate and painful thing I've ever witnessed in such a remote location. Reality was he needed surgery asap, but he stuck it out and had a good time anyway which was awesome. He got in today at 8:00 am and they cleaned it up and he'll make a full recovery so all is well, but do bow down and give thanks for his suffering. Be careful out there when it's windy, there's lots of wood that can fall on you and do horrible things to you.
    Last edited by tone capone; 07-06-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Thats A solid Celibration.

So glad you marked that up.

This = Summer Stoke.

Hey did you think about dropping the cornice? Or was just NO F'in way when you stood on top of it
    Last edited by MTT; 07-06-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Now that's some serious summer skiing. Beautiful and inspiring, thanks for documenting and sharing. Really, really nice July line.

spook Guest
    beautiful

I'd take that day right now. Nice work.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Those were some amazing pics! Thanks for sharing! Good work. Watch out for them branches.

Hey did you think about dropping the cornice?
    Still making up for lost time due to pilot error in the past, so just turns on this one. Those things have a tendency to fall apart randomly this time of year too.

Summer slay done well....

I don't know, that snow looked pretty damned good to me. Of course this time of year, especially after our Sierra winter, and snow looks good.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Awesome TR
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Winning...nice work, man! Beautiful pics.
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Great pics, great snow... excellent summer stoke.

Thanks for posting.

Nice! bonus points for monster slog.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Hold it right there! No, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's holdin some good shit.

Tried to correct the title spelling for you, tone, but it ain't working for me.

We don't have volcanoes, nor are we near the Pacific, but some of these peaks do manage to scrape up a fair amount of the mid continental leftovers.

Watch out for them branches.
    Yeah, my buddy put his hand up to protect his face from a small falling branch and it drove a huge sliver of wood under his thumbnail. Better than getting an eye poked out I guess.

Nice tag & pics.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Way to get the goods!

great TR and glad the knee is doing better!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Thanks dude, like you said it's a process, and it's not over yet. I still have more work to do to get back to skiing regularly.

camp meadow looks perfect for sleeping in the sun far away from all annoying aspects of summer. nice tracks too!
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Way to get some, TC.

Nice work Tone! Thanks for sharing. Good to see your getting back out.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

solid work!
    def a summer TR to talk about