Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

2012 hitch rack thread

Any new racks to check out? I'm considering picking up a rack that will hold 4 bikes and mount to the 2" receiver on my 4Runner. I have a Yakima fork-mount rack on the roof now, but since most of my bikes are now 15QR or 20mm through-axle, the fork-mount racks that I leave on the roof aren't as useful as they once were.

Old threads on hitch racks:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...highlight=rack
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-or-NSR-4-bike

Hitch racks I've had or have:
    Thule T2 -- sold and replaced with Kuat NV 2-bike (1 1/4" receiver) for a car hitch. I can use the Kuat on my 4Runner with a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter, but it's a little wiggly, and I can't add the 2-bike extension with it set up for a 1 1/4" hitch.

Kuat NV -- great build quality. Maybe I should call Kuat and see if I can buy the parts to convert it to a 2" receiver rack, then buy the 2-bike add-on for it.

Swagman XTC-4 -- average build quality. Lots of steel (heavy), but the pivot points have gotten sloppy fast (ovalized holes, bent pin), and the rack is only 1 year old. It lives on the back of our camper truck. Swagman's customer service is great; they are sending me new parts to fix the rack. I think I'll have some welding reinforcements done to make the rack sturdier.

I'm looking at the North Shore Rack NSR-4 -- just under $600 shipped:
    http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR%204-bike.htm

Any downsides to the North Shore Racks, other than that they aren't going to hold a road bike well, if at all?

Any other keep-the-front-wheel-on racks I should consider? Yakima Holdup? I'm not getting another Thule T2, unless I find a used one for cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Those north shore ones look sweet - I'm starting to see lots of those things around. No personal experience with them though.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Kuat NV -- great build quality. Maybe I should call Kuat and see if I can buy the parts to convert it to a 2" receiver rack, then buy the 2-bike add-on for it.
    I'd try ^ this for sure.

The North Shore racks are supposedly bombproof too.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

1upUSA 2" quick rack + 2 add ons. Expensive, but bomber.

I love this design. the ultimate KISS rack:
    http://www.tufrack.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I don't know, the fact that you need to use a ratchet strap that isn't integrated doesn't do it for me. I don't mind the rear wheel strap on the T2, I attached the strap with a piece of cord.

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    I don't know, the fact that you need to use a ratchet strap that isn't integrated doesn't do it for me. I don't mind the rear wheel strap on the T2, I attached the strap with a piece of cord.
    I built my own similar design and use a cam style strap instead. Plenty of strength and much easier/faster than ratchet style.
    Push down on fork and pull the strap - Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    What keeps the bike upright? Just the curvature of the wheel tray around the front wheel?

.... seems like a lot of opportunity for side-to-side wiggle, depending on varying tire sizes.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I would contact Kuat. You might be able to replace the hitch arm with a 2 inch arm then buy the add on. That is assuming the platform is the same for both the 2" and 1.25".

[QUOTE=El Chupacabra;3682254]
    Any downsides to the North Shore Racks, other than that they aren't going to hold a road bike well, if at all?

[QUOTE]

No road bikes at all. Meh

Placing bikes on the rack is a bit of a learning curve but once you get used to it its no big deal. I do it on, left to right and off the opposite.

This is the stoutest rack out there. If you drive on rough roads or 4x4 to get to your riding its the best rack. It will last a lifetime unless some asshole rear ends you while looking at your bikes/rack.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    1upUSA 2" quick rack + 2 add ons. Expensive, but bomber.
    Just ordered one for my 4runner this morning. Can't wait.

Edit: I only need to put 1 bike on the back 90% of the time, 2 at the most. Getting setup for 4 bikes with the 1up stuff would be $$$$$$. Kuat probably wins for quality + price if you can convert the one you already have.

Any new racks to check out? I'm considering picking up a rack that will hold 4 bikes and mount to the 2" receiver on my 4Runner. I have a Yakima fork-mount rack on the roof now, but since most of my bikes are now 15QR or 20mm through-axle, the fork-mount racks that I leave on the roof aren't as useful as they once were.

Old threads on hitch racks:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...highlight=rack
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-or-NSR-4-bike

Hitch racks I've had or have:
    Thule T2 -- sold and replaced with Kuat NV 2-bike (1 1/4" receiver) for a car hitch. I can use the Kuat on my 4Runner with a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter, but it's a little wiggly, and I can't add the 2-bike extension with it set up for a 1 1/4" hitch.

Swagman XTC-4 -- average build quality. Lots of steel (heavy), but the pivot points have gotten sloppy fast (ovalized holes, bent pin), and the rack is only 1 year old. It lives on the back of our camper truck. Swagman's customer service is great; they are sending me new parts to fix the rack. I think I'll have some welding reinforcements done to make the rack sturdier.

I'm looking at the North Shore Rack NSR-4 -- just under $600 shipped:
    http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR%204-bike.htm

Any other keep-the-front-wheel-on racks I should consider? Yakima Holdup? I'm not getting another Thule T2, unless I find a used one for cheap.
    I you find yourself with an extra 2 bike Hitch mount you wanna part with, lemme know
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I am customizing my Kuat with various attachments, more to come.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

check out the Softride Hang 5. its like a north shore rack but cheaper and holds non-DH bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkaDirkaJack View Post
    check out the Softride Hang 5. its like a north shore rack but cheaper and holds non-DH bikes.
    Interesting... looks like it uses the existing Softride Access base + different arms for the rack attachment. I used to have a Softride parallelogram-type rack (hang-from-the-top-tube style rack), but it weighed a ton, and those sorts of racks don't play well with full suspension bikes.

It's a little cheaper than the North Shore Rack (about $100 MSRP difference), but I'd have to see one in person to be convinced whether it is as sturdy.

Do the North Shore Racks have any issues with XC mountain bikes? I wouldn't think so -- so long as there's a normal-ish fork crown, should work fine. (Lefty, Crosslink, other weird linkage forks probably won't work).

Do the North Shore Racks have any issues with XC mountain bikes? I wouldn't think so -- so long as there's a normal-ish fork crown, should work fine. (Lefty, Crosslink, other weird linkage forks probably won't work).
    Lefty works, crosslink maybe not.
    watch out for snakes

I have my eye on the Kuat racks. Debating on the Sherpa vs. NV. The sherpa is lighter and looks like it has a little more lift on it, but the NV is bombproof and is obviously the nicer of the two. I'm curious if people have used the Sherpa for DH bikes. I don't currently own one, but I could potentially see one in my quiver at some point in the future. I don't think the Sherpa is designed for FR/DH bikes in general.

Jeez, the 1up really looks sweet but holy $$$. For a four bike rack it'll run you $1100. Fifty bucks a piece extra to get the trays in black too, WTF?

My T2+2 is still working fine, just gave it a once over, checked the bushings I didn't replace last year and all is well. The thing is starting to look pretty bat up though and that's not exactly confidence inspiring. So many things about this rack could be better.

North shore FTW I think, the NSR-6 will prolly be my next rack. $730 for six bikes and bomber. By far the best value.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Check these out. Small guy out of Calgary but the rack is much like a NSR but it looks like it will hold road bikes.

http://ratracks.com/

For a bike or two, I really think the 1UP is the way to go. It's pricey, but it's aluminum and has a lifetime warranty. My T2 had enough rust after 4 years to be concerning. Not to mention the fact that they're known to fail catastrophically. Also heavy and bulky as fuck. It takes me less than a minute to pull my rack and toss it in the trunk or the shed. Less than a minute, and it's back on the car, and just as quick, I can install additional trays.

I would completely trust the 1UP with 4 bikes on rough roads, but I'm not sure it's the ideal solution. For DH bike shuttling and lots of abuse, I'd seriously consider the North Shore. The decision would likely come down to how often I'm carrying that many bikes. If I only have 4 bikes on certain occasions, the modularity of the 1UP makes it tough to beat. I know it's not much to look at on the website (neither is the website for that matter), but in person the thing is a work of art.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am customizing my Kuat with various attachments, more to come.
    Like with a clock and bottle opener? Schweeet!

Update: I bought a North Shore Rack NSR-4, and have used it a couple times. Total with shipping was about $550 to the U.S., after the CAN-U.S. $ exchange rate conversion. The rack comes as a pile of parts that have to be bolted together, but all the parts were carefully packaged, and instructions were clear. Took about 30 min. to assemble, going slow.

The rack is very solidly constructed. All the main tubing is 2" square hitch tube, and the flat plates (on the hinge points) are 1/4" steel. It's surprisingly compact side-to-side -- doesn't block tail lights on vehicle. The swing-away (pivoting rearward) works with bikes on the rack, but it is rather awkward and heavy to do by myself when there are bikes on the rack -- much easier as a 2-person job.

It's not light, but it's probably not any heavier than a 4-bike Thule T2 or Yak Holdup. I'm satisfied with the purchase.

Did anyone watch the install video? Fucking hilarious. The guy says he is tightening up the special bolt to remove any "play" on the tray. He is done, lets go and the thing drops like 2 inches. FAIL. I actually like the rack though.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    For a bike or two, I really think the 1UP is the way to go. It's pricey, but it's aluminum and has a lifetime warranty.
    I did just have a piece fail on mine. but the lifetime warranty is as bomber as the racks. Emailed a picture of the broken part to 1up, and they had a replacement part in the mail to me later in the day.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy