Red Bull's World Cup DH coverage

Is anyone else extremely underwhelmed by this? Given that it was Red Bull, I was expecting a step up in coverage compared to Freecaster, but it seems a lot worse at this point. They show less of each run that Freecaster showed, I have noticed any improvement in video quality compared to Freecaster, the live feed seems pretty unreliable (usually craps out right around when the top-10 are getting going), and the on-demand viewing after the event is over gives me a "The video you are try to watch is currently unavailable" message more often than not.

Anyone else experiencing similar???

yes. it sucks.

It's been working fine for me with considerably better quality than Freecaster. However, I really miss the Warnerisms. Dude seems to be kept on a short leash. Lopes in the box has been pretty cool though for the last two rounds.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Whoever posted up reminders before each WC race last year on TGR, I miss that. I haven't seen any of the races this year. I guess I need to follow Vitalmtb more regularly.

Also, I think this Gwin kid might end up being pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Also, I think this Gwin kid might end up being pretty good.
    When he put 8 seconds into Minaar at Val di Sole, I was fucking floored. He is the next level for sure.

I think maybe my expectations were a bit too high. When all the talk of Red Bull involvement and better/more cameras I was honestly having visions of coverage along the lines of a Clay Porter film on the way, something I could hook up to the bigscreen and really enjoy. Compared to Freecaster I feel like the coverage of each run is only slightly better and I'm a bit let down by the cut back and non-live womens runs. Commentary seems very watered down this year as well. I haven't run into many issues with getting the feed to load but the quality is far more grainy than I was expecting. On top of all that, and as much as I like Gwin, I've gotta say that the action would be better if someone else would step up their game a bit. It seems like the only real suspense each week is whether or not he'll go down, if he doesn't he's a lock to win every single time. I'll definitely continue tuning in but hoping things improve as Red Bull gets their game more dialed in.

Seen every race except P.SA and haven't had a single issue with the feed. obviously more cameras would be sweet. I agree with Catch22 but the excitement is still there watching Hart and Gee and others getting closer and closer.

On the commentary, I am just happy it isn't Phil and Paul in there. Lopes is pretty week in the voice though. Can't wait to see the rest of the season and hopefully everyone is all healed up for France and Norway.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    On top of all that, and as much as I like Gwin, I've gotta say that the action would be better if someone else would step up their game a bit. It seems like the only real suspense each week is whether or not he'll go down, if he doesn't he's a lock to win every single time.
    It seems like after VDS Gwin really dialed it back. He came out in that race and dominated, but at FW, MSA, and Windham he put in what appeared to be a conservative run because he knew he didn't need to push it. It's fairly ridiculous that a 'safe" run for him is still substantially faster than the competition. I think if Hart / Gee / whoever start to really threaten his times, he'll step it up a bit. Agreed that this makes for slightly less interesting spectating, although a bit of mud might make things more exciting. I was kind of hoping that this would be the year that one of the young guys (Brosnan, etc.) was really going to start consistently threatening the top spot on the podium, but that doesn't seem to be happening. It's at least cool to see Hill back in form.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    On the commentary, I am just happy it isn't Phil and Paul in there. Lopes is pretty week in the voice though. Can't wait to see the rest of the season and hopefully everyone is all healed up for France and Norway.
    Lopes doesn't bring the excitement that Warner does, but it seemed to me that he had more insightful and meaningful commentary, which I found kind of nice.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It seems like after VDS Gwin really dialed it back. He came out in that race and dominated, but at FW, MSA, and Windham he put in what appeared to be a conservative run because he knew he didn't need to push it. It's fairly ridiculous that a 'safe" run for him is still substantially faster than the competition. I think if Hart / Gee / whoever start to really threaten his times, he'll step it up a bit. Agreed that this makes for slightly less interesting spectating, although a bit of mud might make things more exciting. I was kind of hoping that this would be the year that one of the young guys (Brosnan, etc.) was really going to start consistently threatening the top spot on the podium, but that doesn't seem to be happening. It's at least cool to see Hill back in form.
    I like watching someone dominate, in any sport. For example, I loved watching Phelps annihilate everyone in the last olympics. Gwin brings me the same kind of enjoyment.

Also, I don't think Hill will ever be on top again. Just my speculation, but he seems to be way too polarized as a rider (crappy peddler, stellar in the rough) to be a threat to the WC overall. Yes we may see him have a breakout round victory here and there, but I just don't see him overcoming guys like Gwin, Minaar, and Atherton. All of the current top dogs are good at everything, not just the tech. I think the sport has stepped up considerably in the last few years in terms of athleticism, professionalism, training, and dedication. I just don't see Hill stepping it up the way the current top contenders have. Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    Also, I don't think Hill will ever be on top again. Just my speculation, but he seems to be way too polarized as a rider (crappy peddler, stellar in the rough) to be a threat to the WC overall. Yes we may see him have a breakout round victory here and there, but I just don't see him overcoming guys like Gwin, Minaar, and Atherton. All of the current top dogs are good at everything, not just the tech. I think the sport has stepped up considerably in the last few years in terms of athleticism, professionalism, training, and dedication. I just don't see Hill stepping it up the way the current top contenders have. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Definitely agree with everything you said. I don't see Hill doing markedly better than his recent finishes, but he's fun to watch ride. Gwin makes everything look too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It definitely does seem like he's just putting in conservative runs and winning, maybe a strategy change after last year when he only lost if he went down and routinely won by several seconds when he didn't? Reminds me of Tiger Woods back when he was dominating, he always spoke about playing at 90% or so and always having some in reserve in case he really needed it. It's tough to tell with Gwin though because he's sooo smooth, when he's going full out doesn't look the same as a guy like Hill or Hart who are flying but seemingly right on the edge of disaster.

Either way though, I should probably just sit back and hope that he keeps dominating and enjoy it, at some point I'd imagine it will have some positive effects on the US riding scene. I'm sure it will never approach the level of Lance racking up TdFs but it would be cool to see Gwin become a household name and riding opprotunities progressing because of it.

So, those of you who have no issues with the feed, what are you using? PC/Mac, browser ? I'm on a Mac, and have had issues with both Safari and Firefox. I still have not been able to watch Windham nearly a week later.

It's good to see Hill back contending for the podium at least. I still just really enjoy watching him ride.

It would be nice to see some closer racing, but at the same time it's amazing to see Gwin putting this much time into people. I do think guys like Hart and Stevie Smith are going to start challenging Gwin more in the future, maybe not this season, but soon. Gwin's got several years on them, maybe not in WC DH, but just that extra 3-5 years experience in life at that age can make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    So, those of you who have no issues with the feed, what are you using? PC/Mac, browser ? I'm on a Mac, and have had issues with both Safari and Firefox. I still have not been able to watch Windham nearly a week later.
    On a PC using Chrome.

Count me in as someone who really enjoys watching rise to the level that Gwin's at, dominating the field. I loved watching Tiger at his peak. Now that he's not as dominant, guess what - everyone wants to know who the "next" Tiger is... is it Bubba? no. Rory? no. Ricky? Dustin? etc etc... enjoy it while it lasts.

As far as the feed, it's worked out well for me this year. Mac with Chrome and/or Firefox. And even on my Samsung SmartTV browser.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Ouch. Big props to Gwin for taking a major hit, getting up without pause, and finishing his run.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/featu...4604/sspomer,2

Anybody have a link and a time for the finals?

It's been working fine for me in races, but I am one of the few freaks that used to watch every single rider starting with the women, and I miss that. I was hoping for improved coverage (maybe even a helicopter!), but we didn't get that at all. Warner may be slightly reined in, but have you guys watched the last two episodes of Dirty Business? LOL at the Scott11 stuff. Props to Flo Pugin for playing along.

Much hate to Red Bull though for ruining Vittorio's Tri-Ride edits by putting them exclusively on their crap-ass Lo-Def Media Player. Booooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Ouch. Big props to Gwin for taking a major hit, getting up without pause, and finishing his run.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/featu...4604/sspomer,2

Anybody have a link and a time for the finals?
    http://live.redbull.tv/events/92/uci-valdisere-dhi/

or on Dirt's website and starts at 6:15am Mountain time tomorrow. Alarm is set!

that was amazing coverage. lack of trees revealed some epic shots. definitely watch the replay.
    bumps are for poor people

Watching the replay would be sweet if I could get to it. Apparently they haven't got this one working yet as a replay cause all I get is Red Bull TV crap.