Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gillette Razor Blades

Why are these things so effing expensive?
    Don't like the electric shavers and the cheapy blades aren't the same.
    Bought an 8 pack of Mach3 Turbo Diesels for 24 and change.
    wtf?

Don't know why they're so expensive, but I switched to a double-edged safety razor a year ago and have spent less than $10 on blades over that time. It takes a little more attention to detail, but I like it and it's definitely cheaper....

I switched to Schick "quattro" awhile back, because I didn't like the Mach 3 hinged-blade thingy. Schick blades seem to last longer than Gillette for me, and can be bought online in bulk for cheap -- sometimes via ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Dollar shave club.com

Pick your plan and say good riddance to Gillette ridiculously expensive blades. They are nice razors in my opinion and better than gillette

It's all about the old school wet shave with the safety razor. Picked up my grandpas old one when he passed, and you can get a pack of nice blades for Under ten bucks. The disposable Schicks are actually ok in a pinch, too.

Nice, real nice clark.
    Just signed up
    Great idea, lets see how the blades work.

Hugh conway makes money selling razor blades. Two answers for the price of one!

It's a scam. Period.

The value is not there, we are paying for their marketing, not the product.

wait. dollar shave club is for real??? it's more than a great video?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    wait. dollar shave club is for real??? it's more than a great video?
    Yeah they buy them from someone like an alibaba distributor then sell them cheap. A friend seems to like them but it looks like if you are willing to do some hunting you can significantly undercut them.

Edit: them, them, them. I suck at indefinite antecedents.

Quote Originally Posted by wiscoskier3 View Post
    Dollar shave club.com

Pick your plan and say good riddance to Gillette ridiculously expensive blades. They are nice razors in my opinion and better than gillette
    +1 for DSC
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
    Don't know why they're so expensive, but I switched to a double-edged safety razor a year ago and have spent less than $10 on blades over that time. It takes a little more attention to detail, but I like it and it's definitely cheaper....
    I have been meaning to pick up a DE razor. I recently switched to a badger brush and shave cream...what a fucken difference. Best shaves I have ever had.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I get Gillette Fusion Proglides for less than $20 for 4 cartridges. Since I don't shave daily I get about a month out of a cartridge. A similar blade from DSC would cost me $9/month or almost double. I'll stick with Gillette.

If you shave everyday, YMMV.

How to Make Razor Blades Last Longer: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Razor-Blades-Last-Longer

Compare DSC with this:

http://www.dorcousa.com/for-men/

Their video isn't as entertaining though...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

The money Gillette gets for blades is a total joke. I am going to switch myself.

Something had to pay for the naming rights to this:

Quote Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    It's all about the old school wet shave with the safety razor. Picked up my grandpas old one when he passed, and you can get a pack of nice blades for Under ten bucks. The disposable Schicks are actually ok in a pinch, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I have been meaning to pick up a DE razor. I recently switched to a badger brush and shave cream...what a fucken difference. Best shaves I have ever had.
    I have a nasty fucking beard, grows like a motherfucker. I've nearly always used a brush and bowl but last month I finally jumped to a DE razor, I've been thinking of posting a thread about it. I have fallen in love with shaving again. I actually look forward to it and shave far more often, the Mrs is made up too, closest shave I've ever had. It's all about the "prep".

Just ordered 40 razor blades for $10 delivered, and that's just a sample pack, go bulk for cheaper but I wanted to test them out. I spent $35 on a razor but I should have picked up an old classic from ebay or a flea market, or steal your father / grandfathers.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Knew a guy that used to steal razors from grociery stores and sell them at the flea market.

Dude made bank, I suppose
    I love big dumps

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I get Gillette Fusion Proglides for less than $20 for 4 cartridges. Since I don't shave daily I get about a month out of a cartridge. A similar blade from DSC would cost me $9/month or almost double. I'll stick with Gillette.

If you shave everyday, YMMV.
    That $9/month gets you 4 cartridges so unless you mean one cartridge lasts you a month I don't see how Gillette is less expensive.

I shave 2-3 times a week and sometimes have a new cartridge left when my next pack comes. I also switched from the $9 plan to the $6 one.

Quote Originally Posted by wiscoskier3 View Post
    That $9/month gets you 4 cartridges so unless you mean one cartridge lasts you a month I don't see how Gillette is less expensive.

I shave 2-3 times a week and sometimes have a new cartridge left when my next pack comes. I also switched from the $9 plan to the $6 one.
    Well it would make sense to sign up, stockpile and quit after you are done hoarding then! But it still doesn't change the fact I spend less on my shaving per month at the moment.

You win. I noticed that you said you only use one cartridge a month so that would be cheaper. Missed that part.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmthmtskier View Post
    Compare DSC with this:

http://www.dorcousa.com/for-men/

Their video isn't as entertaining though...
    Do a little digging and you'll find that DSC gets their razors from Dorco. Once I get back from the field I plan on getting a couple other guys to go in on a bulk order from there.