Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

line on cheap K-cup coffee pod thingys?

So the office decided to go all green and shit, and bought some spendy Keurig coffee maker. So instead of making a pot of generic Joe for ~$.40/pot, i'm looking at twice that per cup, retail.

Any prodeals out there for these? Looking into the roll yer own option, not sure if this brewer supports it...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I've seen reusable cups that you can put whatever coffee you want in it...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Who thought a Keurig was a "green" option? Every cup uses a plastic container, topped with foil, which goes in the garbage immediately after use. They make a solid cup of joe, but "green?" I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    So the office decided to go all green and shit, and bought some spendy Keurig coffee maker. So instead of making a pot of generic Joe for ~$.40/pot, i'm looking at twice that per cup, retail.

Any prodeals out there for these? Looking into the roll yer own option, not sure if this brewer supports it...
    Costco or saMs club

You can also take a used K cup container and use it with the optional ground cup that you can buy or that comes with some units I believe.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Who thought a Keurig was a "green" option? Every cup uses a plastic container, topped with foil, which goes in the garbage immediately after use. They make a solid cup of joe, but "green?" I don't think so.
    Yeah, don't get me started, i didn't vote for it. They claimed it avoided all of the tragic waste, when a $.40 pot had a cup left at the end of the day.

And yeah, i get the reusable idea, but some of the models don't support it supposedly, and i've heard it can be a bit 'messy', which obviously these coworkers can't stand...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

We got given a Keurig against our will and gave it a shot. Can't stand the standard cups, the coffee is weak and the amount of waste drives me nuts. I will use one of the refillable cups if all I want is one cup, but it's still not great. For my money and time, my French press is where it's at...

/snobbishthreadjack

Anything other than a French press is inferior.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post

French press.

Since when is a Keurig green?!
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Your company is fucking DUMB. Green?

maybe they meant "green" like "we're gonna spend some green on this coffee maker..."
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

"this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

gee, I can't think of any reason why an office setting would lend itself to a convenient, single-serve coffee maker, operable by even the thumbiest of the thumbs...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

OK, so almost five months have gone by . . . anyone find a cheap purchase for k cups . . . Keurig in our ski condo we're renting for the season - I know, I should just put it under the counter, but, I feel like being spoiled!!! Best I've done is $.42 a cup with coupons . . . got anything???

My folks use the reusable baskets. They make a better cup but they're a pain in the ass and, as mentioned above, messy. Still a better and likely less costly option.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

How messy can the refillable cups be? I saw an ad a couple days ago for them, they seemed pretty simple and reasonably easy to use.

There are a bunch, this one seems easy enough and is rated well: http://www.taylorgifts.com/item/perf...fee_pod/31640A

I'll never get a Keurig, so I'd rather spend the $20 on k cups than buy the reusable basket that I will never use again - they are messy, and a pain in the ass as mentioned!!! Thanks for the link though!!

You should sell the machine to some other suckers and buy your office a decent grinder and a couple of Aeropresses. The people who think a Keurig is "green" probably drive 8mpg trucks and think they're being "green" by using 20% biodiesel in them.

Keurig is offensive on so many levels. They should come with a mandatory stupid tax.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Same boat with the coworkers thinking the Keurig was a good idea. The refillable cups are a pain in the ass and the coffee is no better. Worse they want to charge a buck a coffee when i could spend an extra sixty cents and get a decent cup.

I have tried a brand that has a mesh bottom. Seemed to have less waste and made better coffee (though still shitty).

Quote Originally Posted by GimpToo View Post
    Keurig in our ski condo we're renting for the season - I know, I should just put it under the counter, but, I feel like being spoiled!!!
    Spoiled by what? Shitty coffee?

Check out Ekobrew as refillable option.

Costco has them the cheapest I've seen. They sell them in huge boxes, I'm not sure what each cup comes too, but I think its the cheapest.

Costco is probably the best option.

The only decent machine in the genre, IMO, is the Nespresso. Their espresso is quite drinkable, and the machines are cheaper than a decent traditional machine and easier than fumbling around with a grinder and aeropress or similar. I stayed in a hotel with one in the room a few months ago and liked it enough that I'm probably gonna get myself one.

Dont like em, but you can make better coffee by using the smallest amount of water.Try the 4oz option
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlam View Post
    Check out Ekobrew as refillable option.
    +1. My Dad has had good luck with it. I wouldn't necessarily call it "messy," but I'm used to a traditional paper filter/drip setup. Definitely better then the pods though - less waste and you can use any coffee.

Amazon has good deals on those cups too. Don't get the "green" idea on that either, but I'm not expert.
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman