Hiking and lightning (Flagstaff/AZ mags especially)

Thinking about heading up to Mt. Humphreys (flagstaff area) early Wednesday am (possible dawn patrol?). Weather calls for 30% chance of lighting. I don't know anything about the weather up there. Is this 30% chance of a storm rolling through in the afternoon bringing some death with it? Or is a it a morning thing? What's the normal pattern up there this time of year? Start early and assess the situation more thoroughly at tree line? Any input (from anyone) appreciated - I'd prefer not to die, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by astralboy15 View Post
    Thinking about heading up to Mt. Humphreys (flagstaff area) early Wednesday am (possible dawn patrol?). Weather calls for 30% chance of lighting. I don't know anything about the weather up there. Is this 30% chance of a storm rolling through in the afternoon bringing some death with it? Or is a it a morning thing? What's the normal pattern up there this time of year? Start early and assess the situation more thoroughly at tree line? Any input (from anyone) appreciated - I'd prefer not to die, thanks!
    RaisingArizona probably has a more current evaluation, but these storms are generally an afternoon thing, monsoons boiling up due to solar heating of the earth. Start early and assess, but do not underestimate how fast these storms can develop, and how exposed you will be on top of the peaks.
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Quote Originally Posted by HobieTony View Post
    RaisingArizona probably has a more current evaluation, but these storms are generally an afternoon thing, monsoons boiling up due to solar heating of the earth. Start early and assess, but do not underestimate how fast these storms can develop, and how exposed you will be on top of the peaks.
    Thanks. PM sent his way.

Thinking about heading up to Mt. Humphreys (flagstaff area) early Wednesday am (possible dawn patrol?). Weather calls for 30% chance of lighting. I don't know anything about the weather up there. Is this 30% chance of a storm rolling through in the afternoon bringing some death with it? Or is a it a morning thing? What's the normal pattern up there this time of year? Start early and assess the situation more thoroughly at tree line? Any input (from anyone) appreciated
    In the southwest lightning is usually - almost always, unless it's not - an afternoon thing and you can tell it's coming by the (duh) clouds. So, start early, turn around if cumulus clouds start building, and have a nice hike.

I'd prefer not to die, thanks!
    Yeah, well if anything happens, we're splitting your gear.

It actually sprinkled this morning! First rain in almost 70 days. It's cloudy today already, which means there won't be the convective heating needed to produce the big explosive storms, but you never know. It never ceases to amaze me, but the most exciting storms are the ones that start as one tiny cloud on the Peaks, and 3 hours later a massive storm is hammering the Peaks.

The monsoon storms aren't exactly an afternoon thing. It depends on alot of things; atmospheric saturation, how strong of a push the monsoon is pushing into this area, blah blah blah... It could be firing up at 10am or wait until 6pm.

If you get an early start, and I'm talking sunrise, you should be fine. It's a minimum 5 hour round trip if you're hustling. And that leaves no time to eat, drink, soak in the views, take photos, etc.
    It's worth repeating, keep an eye on the skies. If the clouds are building, and getting closer, just turn around and appreciate you're still alive and the mountain will always be there. Above treeline is no place to be during lightning, there is NO protection above the saddle. Two people were struck by lightning last summer up there.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ricorides View Post
    It actually sprinkled this morning! First rain in almost 70 days.
    SLC is supposed to be catching a monsoonal pattern at the end of the week, can't f'n wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ricorides View Post
    It actually sprinkled this morning! First rain in almost 70 days. It's cloudy today already, which means there won't be the convective heating needed to produce the big explosive storms, but you never know. It never ceases to amaze me, but the most exciting storms are the ones that start as one tiny cloud on the Peaks, and 3 hours later a massive storm is hammering the Peaks.

The monsoon storms aren't exactly an afternoon thing. It depends on alot of things; atmospheric saturation, how strong of a push the monsoon is pushing into this area, blah blah blah... It could be firing up at 10am or wait until 6pm.

If you get an early start, and I'm talking sunrise, you should be fine. It's a minimum 5 hour round trip if you're hustling. And that leaves no time to eat, drink, soak in the views, take photos, etc.
    It's worth repeating, keep an eye on the skies. If the clouds are building, and getting closer, just turn around and appreciate you're still alive and the mountain will always be there. Above treeline is no place to be during lightning, there is NO protection above the saddle. Two people were struck by lightning last summer up there.

Have fun!
    Yep, all of this.

Thanks all. Weather looks too finicky for tomorrow. Will keep high on the hit list.