997 Equipe Afficianados, a little help please.

So I have 3 pairs of 997E's circa '93 and today I picked up a pair of the '95 vintage. As I was breaking them down to clean and regrease them I noticed that the rubber dam under the toe piece is not held in with the familiar 1" small metal V strip and seems to be held in by the plastic of the toe piece itself. When I was working out the rubber dam, I caused a small amount of damage to the retaining method. I guess my question is: Has anyone had any issues with the rubber dam not staying in place after maintaining the "newer" style 997E's?
    More cowbell!!!

jgb@etree Guest
    Pictures of part(s) in question?

I have some where the rubber is torn or completely ripped out. I just threw some tape over where the rubber piece was and have had no problems.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

So I got home and took some pictures to illustrate what I am talking about. After a little thought, I am going to ask how does one remove the rubber dam in the newer 997Es without damaging the plastic housing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02265.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	117902 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02263.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	117903 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02262.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	117904
    More cowbell!!!