Thread: Australia

Australia

Searched and couldn't find much. Heading to Sydney, Australia in August, besides the topless beaches and the opera house what else are things that shouldn't be missed? Traveling may be possible, but looking for things close to or in Sydney.

Supposedly they drink beer there.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

I don't believe that

Sydney's a cool city, great scenery and lots of fun stuff but bottom line it's just a city, not that different from many others. The big thing there imp is the water. The harbor is spectacular and the local beaches are great. Anything you can do to get on or next to the water is the thing. Go on a harbor cruise. Go out to Bondi. Get drinks in a waterfront bar/eat in a waterside restaurant (there are tons of them). Go fishing. shit like that.

Hugh Conway Guest
    You know it's winter, right?

Track down Paul Hogan. Kick him in the nuts and then run over him with an Outback.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

nude beaches in august, brave man. Choose the beach wisely, some may leave you uncomfortable depending on which team you play for. I'll be skiing, it's not the alps/rockies but it's here.

What sort of stuff do you want to do?

see the wallabies take on the all blacks on aug 18
    tix

run the City to Surf - a different way to see the city & it's people, it's a pretty easy jog

see something at the opera house, don't just take a photo and have a drink at the opera bar (but definitely have a drink there too - amazing spot for a sundowner)

hop a seaplane up to the 'pittwater' and have lunch here with your missus. great spot, even in winter.

head to the blue mountains (90 mins west by car, train available) and go for a hike, climb or mtn bike. or Hike the 6 foot track and check out the caves. it will be cold.

do you surf? we have beaches. water will be 15/16ish "C" we have that non nonsensical metric system. not too cold at all, great waves to be had in winter - right at the city beaches.

At least take a ferry out to Manly for a day and check it out. The boat ride is cheap (it's public trans) and will give you all the harbour site seeing you'll need to do, maybe whales then?

I could go on...

Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    nude beaches in august, brave man. Choose the beach wisely, some may leave you uncomfortable depending on which team you play for. I'll be skiing, it's not the alps/rockies but it's here.

What sort of stuff do you want to do?

see the wallabies take on the all blacks on aug 18
    tix

run the City to Surf - a different way to see the city & it's people, it's a pretty easy jog

see something at the opera house, don't just take a photo and have a drink at the opera bar (but definitely have a drink there too - amazing spot for a sundowner)

hop a seaplane up to the 'pittwater' and have lunch here with your missus. great spot, even in winter.

head to the blue mountains (90 mins west by car, train available) and go for a hike, climb or mtn bike. or Hike the 6 foot track and check out the caves. it will be cold.

do you surf? we have beaches. water will be 15/16ish "C" we have that non nonsensical metric system. not too cold at all, great waves to be had in winter - right at the city beaches.

At least take a ferry out to Manly for a day and check it out. The boat ride is cheap (it's public trans) and will give you all the harbour site seeing you'll need to do, maybe whales then?

I could go on...
    Bucket List material here, mate. Thanks.

August is winter.

Best beach scene: Bondi, Manly

Best place to get your ass kicked: paddle out north Maroubra and drop in on everyone

Best place to pick up hot coked-up models: Hugo's at Kings Cross

Price of Coke; A$350/gram

Best clubs: Beach Haus, Bungalow

Best restaurant: Altitudes on the 36th floor of Shangri-La overlooking the Bridge and Opera House, Doyles at Watsons Bay

Avoid: Kings Cross strip bars (eg: Love Machine, Pleasure Chest)

Hottest ho's at: Stilleto's, Liaison's

Best place to waste $100 skiing flat crap hills 6 hours south of Sydney: Perisher, Thredbo

Best escape in August: Byron Bay or Cairns

^^ I live in Sydney and this is very good advice.

I'm heading down to Sydney in a week, is going south for a couple days to visit (hopefully uncrowded) beaches a good idea or is it something like going to Canada to ski Grouse Mountain instead of Whistler/Blackcomb? Looking for peace and quiet, although I won't care if the beaches have people there, just not looking for Jersey Shore on a holiday-vibe.

Bushrangers Bay looks sweet for snorkeling, and thinking of Jarvis Bay as the furthest south I'm going. Anything obvious I'm missing around there or further south for beach scenics or snorkeling?

Check out the "flying foxes" in the city park... they're giant bats the size of a small cats!

I also like the bridge tour where you walk to the top of the bridge overlooking the harbor... that is if they still have the tour. It's been years since my last trip there.

Check out Manly.

Doesn’t seem like a friendly vacation these days

. . .