Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Fires in Boulder - Shit Just Got Real

I'm heading out to get a few pictures from some distant vantage points. Two fires burning as of now - Flagstaff and Big Elk.

Close to 30 homes evacuated. This thing (the Flagstaff fire) looks mean as fuck. Hopefully they can get a handle on it before anyone loses a home up there.

Pics to come in a couple hours or so.
    The best things in life aren't things.

MotherFucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no fire in Big Elk according to my community fire chief and numerous other agencies. There was a report of smoke but after combing every inch of Big Elk they couldn't find a fire.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 06-26-2012 at 05:26 PM.

We're all jabbering about this in the Colorado weather thread, or keep it here, whatever.

1PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	179159_623465393623_1978815061_n.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	117665

closer at 4 PM from Larry the Bootfitter

Name:	487391_10100564992587313_1261087518_n.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	117666

4PM

Name:	487266_10100911643196647_1633156596_n.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	117667
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Watching this from my driveway. Cars packed up in the pre-evac zone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1340758920.345670.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	117668  

I'll post the pics in both spots. Didn't even think to check over there since fire isn't weather.

It is when they get real big.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    It is when they get real big.
    lol

Cross-post from the thread in weather:

Headed out to get a few vantage points of the fire. Nothing worth noting except there was some visible crowning that could be viewed from the south side of the fire and the smoke plume was blowing mainly east northeast of the fire line. Was taking shots from 4:40 to about 6:30 and didn't see them start dropping tanks of anything 'til 5:15ish. On the way home down 93 to 72, we saw multiple cloud to ground strikes around Golden and could even make out the plume of the Waldo Fire down in the Springs.

From the east on the Boulder Overlook off US36:

Also from the Overlook:

From the southeast near a closed open space (heh):

Also from the southeast:

Again from the southeast. You can see a slurry bomber heading in for a drop to the left of the plume:

From the south:

Also from the south:

Is there anything funnier than watching the treehuggers RUN FOR THEIR LIVES???!!!!

I don't think there are many huggers in COS. I'm sure there are a lot of folks running. Traffic earlier was a mess. Not really something to be joking about as it could be us in a heartbeat, and a major metro area is looking at some pretty big impact.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I don't think there are many huggers in COS. I'm sure there are a lot of folks running. Traffic earlier was a mess. Not really something to be joking about as it could be us in a heartbeat, and a major metro area is looking at some pretty big impact.
    I don't care. Perhaps I'm in the minority in thinking a good douching of ALL beetle kill via FIRE!!! in Colorado would be a great thing.

In this day in age, nobody should die due to cell phones and TV. It's no surprise.

The only people whining are those who built houses in forests which regularly burn throughout time. (which people are now blaming on TEH GLOBAL WARMINZ!!!)

So where is the tragedy? In peoples ignorance? Really?

How many trees are used to build those houses?

Most of those people are so removed from nature and reality it's not even funny.

The reality check is worth a good belly laugh.

Birds eat ants.....when birds die, ants eat birds.

It's the ego and sense of entitlement that make me chuckle.

Don't judge me, I'm just an observer of reality.

Insurance protects most of these tools anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Is there anything funnier than watching the treehuggers RUN FOR THEIR LIVES???!!!!
    What the fuck is wrong with this guy? People on here look up to this loser? I hope you're just trolling. Insurance protects most of these people anyhow? Yeah, except the people that already have it rough and can't afford insurance. And the tree huggers are out of touch...
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    What the fuck is wrong with this guy? People on here look up to this loser? I hope you're just trolling.
    I thought you Boulder posers embraced nature? How is that working out?

Oh, I get it. You're just in love with the idea of being one with nature.

Perhaps this is natures way of telling you it doesn't like you. Ever ponder that?

I don't care. Perhaps I'm in the minority in thinking a good douching of ALL beetle kill via FIRE!!! in Colorado would be a great thing.

In this day in age, nobody should die due to cell phones and TV. It's no surprise.

The only people whining are those who built houses in forests which regularly burn throughout time. (which people are now blaming on TEH GLOBAL WARMINZ!!!)

Most of those people are so removed from nature and reality it's not even funny.

hehe, pretty good post. the reality is wood burns. you shouldnt be building houses where wood burns all around your house. I know i wouldnt unless i expected it to burn down at some point. Some people are idiots and some dont build houses sorrounded by a forest. Thats what a fucking tent is for or drag up a fucking 5th wheel. I guess there is alot of idiots in CO, CA, AZ, NM, WY, ID, MT, WA, OR, etc. the only thing id be building out there is something temporary. Oh no, i lost my house. Yeah, you moron, thats what you get for building up in the middle of a forest. Frigging idiots. Its like living in tornado alley, "i'll just rebuild". Well sir, you're an idiot.

Lolzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    Oh no, i lost my house. Yeah, you moron, thats what you get for building up in the middle of a forest. Frigging idiots. Its like living in tornado alley, "i'll just rebuild". Well sir, you're an idiot.
    Sure does look like the middle of a forest to me.

The "Shit" has been "Real" for a while for a lot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Boulder County gives a pre-evac order for a large drum circle on Flagstaff for town west of Broadway. In case you haven't realized, the shit was quite real for a lot of front range people for the last month. I agree about people living in the hills and forests, this is part of the deal. Living on the edge of town, has it's pros and cons. This would fit into the con category.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

That was actually a fairly honest and profound assessment of the situation
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Do you think it is worse to build a house in a forest, on a flood plain, or along a coast where they regularly get hurricanes? I can't decide and don't feel sorry for people at all that aren't prepared to lose their house. It is called Darwinism!!
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Regardless of poor decision making - it is dangerous for the brave fire fighters and we'll keep them in our thoughts while going through this tragic time!!

I totally understand the statements about living in dangerous areas and how you shouldn't be surprised to lose your home. It's a big part of the reason I live in Lafayette, and the hail that hits golden all the time is why I avoided that area, but saying there's nothing funnier than seeing people run for their lives is a different story.

The people in Colorado springs (the focus on family group) are some of my least favorite people in the world, but I wouldn't wish death on them the way they wish death, and cause death, to the people that advocate for women's rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred
    DOn't judge me, I'm just judging everybody else.
    And someone here thinks that shit is "profound?"

Damn, those Christians build big ass houses in CS. What does fire insurance cover? Purchase price, or replacement cost? If it's the latter, whoo boy, the accessors are going to get heartburn over this one for a long time. "Whaddyamean, 250,000?! I paid 500,000 in '07!"