Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rides near sandpoint and whitefish?

looks like skibee and I might be coming down this week. Any must do rides in the areas? long, singletrack, XC/AM rides

PM Viggen, my little brother. He'll hook ya up.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Have some friends in Sandpoint that may be able to show you around. Syringa is the local XC spot in Sandpoint. What days are you looking to ride?

thinking about this week, tues to Friday.

have to see what the weather is doing in sandpoint vs jasper AB

Think Dana can maybe ride on Fri, if not she will send you in a good direction. I will pm her number.

Thanks guys, We are loading up the truck and heading south today. Ride wed/thus/ friday AM, then back to banff friday night.

damn, we're missing each other by a week.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'm riding tomorrow afternoon about 4 pm with some friends near whitefish, you can join us if you like, pm me.

Bernard Peak near Athol, and Gold hill in Sandpoint are some favorites of mine. There is a cool trail through the big cedars up by Priest lake (American Falls trail). There is a very nice ride out and back around Bead lake outside of Newport. These are all nice single track, with no freeride features.

Ended up in standpoint.
    thanks. We had a great trip. Rode mineral basin. Lost and mud lakes. The gold hill loop. The got lost trying to find Bernard peak. And found pine street rides.
    Lots of eats too. Got echards. Secret Thai. Hoot owl. Pies. And summer sampler.
    Had a great trip. Thanks

Thinking of biking around Sandpoint this weekend. Any updated info to be had?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Pm @LVS for more info but the Cabinets have a TON of blowdown that isn’t taken care of. It’s more on the type 2 end of the spectrum.

Had a blast at Mica Peak yesterday! Trail crews have been slaying the building up there!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What kind of riding and how close to town (or other places)? Dirt's in good shape and the highest snow banks should be almost gone, so most trails should be good except the ones with blowdown, as SkiLyft mentioned. But the stuff nearby/what's mentioned upthread should be good (hoping 120 gets attention soon; it's been a cold summer/late snow). Feel free to PM if you're looking for stuff that avoids people.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Ended up in standpoint.
    thanks. We had a great trip. Rode mineral basin. Lost and mud lakes. The gold hill loop. The got lost trying to find Bernard peak. And found pine street rides.
    Lots of eats too. Got echards. Secret Thai. Hoot owl. Pies. And summer sampler.
    Had a great trip. Thanks
    I thought the border was ‘closed’?
    How did that go down?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

he's a time traveler

Ahhhh...so, so sneaky!
    Guess I gotta read the fine print.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    What kind of riding and how close to town (or other places)? Dirt's in good shape and the highest snow banks should be almost gone, so most trails should be good except the ones with blowdown, as SkiLyft mentioned. But the stuff nearby/what's mentioned upthread should be good (hoping 120 gets attention soon; it's been a cold summer/late snow). Feel free to PM if you're looking for stuff that avoids people.
    We are fit and able and fairly easy to please, so looking for what’s good with no real restraints on taste. We generally ride Rossland/Nelson/castlegar/Fernie when we travel to ride but Covid.... so with that in mind we are going places we haven’t ridden and trying leave small footprints while seeing what there is to offer.

We are camping closer to Sagle and coming in from Whitefish but whatever works.

Generally we would do a bigger ride on the first day then do something with options to be shorter on the second day so if we need to get home or feel like sleeping in we can.

Any taco trucks?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    We are fit and able and fairly easy to please, so looking for what’s good with no real restraints on taste. We generally ride Rossland/Nelson/castlegar/Fernie when we travel to ride but Covid.... so with that in mind we are going places we haven’t ridden and trying leave small footprints while seeing what there is to offer.

We are camping closer to Sagle and coming in from Whitefish but whatever works.

Generally we would do a bigger ride on the first day then do something with options to be shorter on the second day so if we need to get home or feel like sleeping in we can.

Any taco trucks?
    if you are in WF, stop by whitefish bike retreat. Have a beer with Cricket, and she will set you on some adventures.

Spencer mnt
    WF ski hill (can ride up)
    Trail from WF ski area down to town
    bigger stuff should be close to open now?

Food trucks in downtown, yes. Mexican food specifically you want Joel's. From Sagle, Gold Hill (trail 3) and Mineral Point are both accessible, and Bernard Peak (bigger ride than the others) is not too far south. Parking is limited/go early. Everything is a little busier lately (and probably will be until some bitter cold hits). Bernard may not be as bad as the others, just because it's more of a challenge.

On the other end of the long bridge there's the Sherwood Forest system, which has a bunch of trails packed in a little tighter. Up Schweitzer/Selkirk Rec trails, which tend to favor shuttles or lift rides, unless you ride from the village and then the XC trails offer big loops from there. Can be long or short in any variety. Everything here but Schweitzer is multi-use, but those are the most bike-specific. Options out hwy 200 are mostly whole-day, more remote, some views, commitment required.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    if you are in WF, stop by whitefish bike retreat. Have a beer with Cricket, and she will set you on some adventures.

Spencer mnt
    WF ski hill (can ride up)
    Trail from WF ski area down to town
    bigger stuff should be close to open now?
    Eluder is a flathead valley local... I think he's looking for Sandpoint beta.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Eluder is a flathead valley local... I think he's looking for Sandpoint beta.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Food trucks in downtown, yes. Mexican food specifically you want Joel's. From Sagle, Gold Hill (trail 3) and Mineral Point are both accessible, and Bernard Peak (bigger ride than the others) is not too far south. Parking is limited/go early. Everything is a little busier lately (and probably will be until some bitter cold hits). Bernard may not be as bad as the others, just because it's more of a challenge.

On the other end of the long bridge there's the Sherwood Forest system, which has a bunch of trails packed in a little tighter. Up Schweitzer/Selkirk Rec trails, which tend to favor shuttles or lift rides, unless you ride from the village and then the XC trails offer big loops from there. Can be long or short in any variety. Everything here but Schweitzer is multi-use, but those are the most bike-specific. Options out hwy 200 are mostly whole-day, more remote, some views, commitment required.
    Is #120 a no go right now? I was eyeballing that one but looks like that may be the LVS blowdown trail. Anything else like that I can make on my way? We could just bounce around and hit the areas mentioned but a ride like that does have an appeal... Hiking my bike over tress does not though, I can do that here.

Getting to Bernard doesn't seem super clear. Any tips?

Trail Hardtail or 6" Squish. I don't mind pedaling either...

Any other recommendation for food that we can grab on the go? We are not looking to mingle about but don't mind giving a little stimulus in return for good food.

Can PM if that's easier.

Formerly Rludes025

Joel's is walk-up style, so goes reasonably well with on-the-go, and the seasonal food trucks are a block north. Bernard can be a little confusing--I'll PM you some detail.

120 is indeed the blowdown trail. I think the snow has kept out the big saws, but it's not unusual for it (particularly the West end) to be buried in trees for a long time. A few years back we were there in June and counted 100 trees before giving up; I think we got almost 3 miles, never got to the alpine views that day.

Eluder, I will be around this weekend, and as customary for my Saturdays, there is an element of extreme suffering (type 2+/3-) planned. Last ride included spousal meltdowns, extremely narrow and steep tread, unrideable switchbacks, blowdown and a 10 mile uphill road pedal.

Friday night perhaps we could roll a shuttle lap or two up at Schweitzer depending on when you get to town... If you're available early we could grab a lift ride up to the top and get a real long (~12 miles/3800 vert.) lap in. Whitefish Bike Park pass holders get a free lift ticket. Type 1+++ high speed fun. "Flow" in IMBA terminology.

Sunday I might do some trail maintenance work in the Cabinets or might go on a hike to scout some trails I've been wanting to explore. Typically after the 7-9 hour beating I typically subject myself to, I don't have any interest in riding bikes the next day.

120 is the blowdown trail in question. I'm sure I'm ready to repeat from Trestle Creek, but I would do the section from Wellington Creek/Auxor Basin to the road again. A few of the trails up in Bonners Ferry have been logged out recently from what I've heard, so that's an option as well.

6" squish seems better for the big rides.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Thinking of heading up that was from Bozo either tomorrow or Sunday. I'll ride Spencer cause I never have. What else? Also probably bring gravel bike and do a big gravel day too.

Definitely will take any reccos for dispersed camping. Camped near Tally Lake last year. Are the mosquitos that bad everywhere?

We weren't able to get out of town tonight, so looking like a AM departure which blows the chances of getting in on either of your offers LVS. I am not gonna lie my wife was not as intrigued as I was about the extreme suffering..

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Thinking of heading up that was from Bozo either tomorrow or Sunday. I'll ride Spencer cause I never have. What else? Also probably bring gravel bike and do a big gravel day too.

Definitely will take any reccos for dispersed camping. Camped near Tally Lake last year. Are the mosquitos that bad everywhere?
    Camping out by Tally is the most sure thing and there is good trail.... mosquitos kinda suck right now as the spring and summer have been wet but location is a big factor. I know people like to groad ride north of Whitefish lake towards upper whitefish lake then on to Olney, I am not super sure of the route because I don't do that stupid shit... There is also some good camping up that way but sites fill up and are more limited that direction.

Formerly Rludes025