Thread: PDX Mags

PDX Mags

So I'm going to be in Portland Monday-Friday this week for a job interview. I have some relatives that live there who will be able to show me around a bit, but it would be cool to grab a beer with some mags. Interview is Wednesday, so I'll have some free time to enjoy the city. I'm pretty excited about the prospect of moving to the Portland area provided the interview goes well. From talking on the phone with someone from the company is seems like a really interesting gig that would let me get my foot in the door toward a natural resources based career.

I know there are quite a few Portland mags, and it would be great to get a beer and buds tour of the city. I know a thing or two about craft beer, and want to sample the best of Portland's hops and their related species.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    So I'm going to be in Portland Monday-Friday this week for a job interview. I have some relatives that live there who will be able to show me around a bit, but it would be cool to grab a beer with some mags. Interview is Wednesday, so I'll have some free time to enjoy the city. I'm pretty excited about the prospect of moving to the Portland area provided the interview goes well. From talking on the phone with someone from the company is seems like a really interesting gig that would let me get my foot in the door toward a natural resources based career.

I know there are quite a few Portland mags, and it would be great to get a beer and buds tour of the city. I know a thing or two about craft beer, and want to sample the best of Portland's hops and their related species.
    Portland has a good beer scene. One hour to mountain or coast. Good wine scene. Good fishing scene. Decent food scene. Good cycling scene. You can buy a decent house for cheap. Good weed scene if your into that.

The weather sucks for eight months of the year. All the lezbo's & wanna-be hipsters that could not swing it in San Francisco live there now. A good place to raise a family. I grew up there; 18 years was plenty for me. People tend to be cheap as hell there too. I recall people using paper checks in the grocery store check out line too.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    I just shot down to Tahoe for a bit, but might be headed back up to PDX the middle of the week. I'm usually out and about in the SE/ or downtown. If I make it back I'd be happy to show you around. If I don't, there's a few spots you should hit up...

Not necesserily beer specific but:
    The Montage: Killer Cajun food close to downtown and a must do. (the Spore mac and cheese is f'king bomb).
    Produce Row: Great food, good atmosphere, great drinks and beer - personal favorite
    Davis St Tavern: just a good mellow spot, good food and beer too
    Savoy Tavern: (if you're in the SE) unreal.
    Ping: Downtown, killer tapas/ kind of asian inspired
    Pok Pok: Right down the street from me, probably the most written up place in all of PDX.

Breakfast: it's an institution in PDX - best breakfast you'll have anywhere, but be prepared to wait.
    Tasty and Sons, Gravy, Pine State Biscuts, The Screen Door, Bread and Ink.

Beer: I'm not hugely versed on the beer scene, so some other mags will probably have better recs, but here's what I've got:
    Green Dragon: local spot
    Hopworks
    McMinnamins
    Deschuttes - crazy tourist scene, but always good beer.

Don't forget Tin Shed for breakfast (NE Alberta).
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Pok Pok is rad, but expect a monumental wait, especially if the weather is nice. If you don't want to wait, head across the street to Whiskey Soda Springs for their app menu and cool cocktails.

Another vote for Hopworks.

More touristy, but still worth a visit is Voodoo Donuts. Triple Chocolate Penetration FTW!

If you want some old Portland flavor, hit up Huber's downtown for a Spanish Coffee that will put you on your ass. Jakes is a great, old school restaurant and bar.

I no longer live there, but I'm happy to share everything I know as I was born and raised in the Rose City. You'll have a rad time. Enjoy!