TR - 2012 ASS (Alpental Solstice Ski) tour and party extravaganza

TR - 2012 ASS (Alpental Solstice Ski) tour and party extravaganza

ASS tour as an event started out last year as an idea that two people came up with independently,
    something that became apparent when two separate parties of Alpentalics all showed up at the parking lot
    on the Solstice around the same time. Last year was an intimate event with about 16 people attending.

This years event was something else.
    While there have been estimates of 80 ~ 100 people, my head count came closer to 60 something.
    Still, an impressive gathering of Alpentalics, mags and others that came out to enjoy a rather nice evening on top of a mountain,
    not to mention the skiing, which was awesome.
    Plenty of people to qualify as a small cult.
    In any terms, this event lived up the term epic on most every level.
    Cheers to everyone who made it up to the top of 2 to join in the fun.

So, with that said, cue he music:

It was a really nice day out on the Solstice, in anticipation of hanging out with many good friends
    (as well as some new ones), in a place we love, we get an early start

Still a lot of snow up there

Lots of snow up here, Summer down there.
    I see water skiing in my near future in the background

Even more snow up here

Top of two awaits what will become the party of the season

So much snow

Mofro, 1:15:00 from the bottom to the top, someone forgot to tell him it wasn't a race. FWIW,
    Andy was in hot pursuit but with less payload, hot off of his Pacific coast volcano tour

Mofro exhumes the keg from it's refrigerating slumber

A good assortment of beverages were plentiful

The first of several Rainer images

Good company at the top of 2

Son and grand daughter and Bear (the amazing touring dog is out of frame) of wooley12 get the family attendance award

Views in every direction were amazing

They start showing up in pods, old friends here with a future new friend

The grill makes it to the top

This was the start of the best tacos I've had in years

The other instigator

There was sliver removal too

More k00ks, two regular and a special guest appearance by Snowslut. And, of course Iris, the k9k00k

Continued...

Things are just getting going

Captain keg

More mags and Alpentalics than you could shake a stick at

Party-pano

By now, things are in full swing

Twilight and people are still showing up to join in on the fun

Again

Team cousin +1 finally arrives, with one cousin still OTB

The Oracle, JTGoat looks on contemplating his next beverage. BTW high style points for the visor and dark sunglasses at dusk

It was really quite a beautiful evening

Buster!

Greydon Clark and Buster (who appears to have gas) with Mt. Rainer

Dromond gnaws on an apple, not sure I've ever seen that before, apparently new for Buster too

Who knew, Herx has mad pole dancing/photo skillz

"Uhmm, honey, uhmmm, I'm going to be home a little late this evening" as the usual suspects look on

Last years pink and reds gave way to this years yellows and golds

Party deck

One more, in the magic light

Getting into Nash required a spicy entrance (skied by the usual suspects), or a short portage with skis off

A righteous mini summit right here, others are standing just out of frame

This is the,
    skis-get-stollen-are-identified-by-Mofro-in-gear-swap-skis-get-returned-and-the-guy-who-purcased-them-gets-his-money-back
    feel good story of the year shot. Keg looks on

Flowing Alpy and pal in his usual trim

As you can see from the lack of skiing shots, the skiing killed it (no time for photos, lack of light didn't help either)
    Also, this was about something more, at least for me.
    So many people up there, and as I heard Mofro put it, "I can't believe how many of these people I actually know".
    Quite possibly the best ski party I've ever attended.

The end

A couple of footnotes...

Coming down to the base lodge/patio it sounded like they had the sound system on and were playing music.
    Even better, I soon discovered that the local band (The T-bagging Bandits ) most of which were at the top parting with us earlier in the evening were practicing in the lodge. Thanks guys, that was awesome!

Cool to meet some mags for the first time last night, some, at Alpental for the first time:
    Norseman, auvgeek and chmnyboy. Nice to meet you guys, look forward to making some turns with you in the future.

mtngirl79, I'm sorry about your mishap at Rollen.
    That could have been worse and I'm glad it wasn't.

Last, everyone in attendance, check your gear.
    If you are missing anything of value, please hit me with a PM.

FKNA, way to keep the maggot gatherings alive.

Sweet party.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

I am happy because you guys (and gals) were all happy! Nicely done all of you usual suspects, and newcomers to the mad goodness that is Alpental. What a party!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

A.S.S. Rules - great TR and pics!
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Couldn't believe how many people turned out! Party of the year for sure. Huge props to ACH for setting it up!

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Cool to meet some mags for the first time last night, some, at Alpental for the first time:
    Norseman, auvgeek and chmnyboy. Nice to meet you guys, look forward to making some turns with you in the future.
    Hey, you too mang! And everyone else that I met up there, none of whom I knew beforehand. Special thanks to mofro and Zeedashbo for showing me (or rather leading) the way down Nash. That was my first time at Alpental *gasp*, and I hope to make it up there more next season for sure. Would love to make turns with many of you guys in the future—happy to bring more cookies for the chance to tag along.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Awesome time. ACH is the Man.

But next year everyone has to write their TGR alias & real name on their forehead with a sharpie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Great night of skinning, drinking, and skiing. The ski down Nash was fun, fun, fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    But next year everyone has to write their TGR alias & real name on their forehead with a sharpie.
    Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. Next year, I'm bringing a sharpie and those stupid name tags that everyone hates wearing at conferences.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Great party and fun skiing.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Awesome time. ACH is the Man.

maybe write real name and somebody else's TGR alias?

awesome!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

*****/*****

Excellent crowd for a Wednesday evening in June, all making the 2200+ vt trek to the top of chair 2 with skis and boards. Big props to ACH and the non-mag contingent rally by BJ to put the call out there, and for PeteD for hauling the BBQ up! I made some new friends (though drunk as I was I don't remember any names) and saw plenty of old friends from the TGR crowd, parents of kid's ski team crowd, Alpental regular's and lot3 and 4 crowd, beer league night racing crowd, Condo & Alpental dwellers, Crystal regulars, touring partners, the list goes on. Biggest surprise might have been after skiing the Fan and transitioning back at the bottom of 2, and seeing my brother hiking by with his board.

The exodus after 9:15 as the light faded was classic. Cool to look back up Nash and watch the crowds of people ripping down snow that was best described as my 11yro girl had on Sunday- "best non-pow day on Nash all year".
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Well played

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

^ d00d!

You did a picture!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^ d00d!

You did a picture!

Awesome day indeed. Thanks to those who organized and inspired it.