Whirlpool Washer not going into final spin

Like it says, we have a top-loading whirlpool washer that won't shift into the final spin cycle and it is leaving our clothes soaking wet. you can go back and turn on the spin cycle afterwords, but it won't do that last spin otherwise.

I checked the pump and that and the lines are clear so I have no idea why there is residual water.

We have a repair guy coming to look at it tomorrow, but if is a simple fix, i would like to avoid that if possible

There is a button on my whirlpool that stops it starting that final spin phase. My gf had managed to press it down a couple of months ago...

Many washers can go through their whole cycle, minus the spin cycle with their lid open. If your lid switch is busted that could be the problem. But since you said it goes into spin when you manually put it in spin this doesn't sound likely.

Sounds to me your timer is just fucked. Does it happen on all cycle types? delicate, perm press, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Onward View Post
    There is a button on my whirlpool that stops it starting that final spin phase. My gf had managed to press it down a couple of months ago...
    See, that was my initial thought but i couldn't find something like that, at least in an obvious place.

Haven't tried it on other cycle settings, but its worth a shot, this is just on normal

I have fixed a few washers & dryers cuz they aren't all that complicated, I would turn it upside down and look for bad connections/wiring/check on web sites that give appliance repair tips

but timers are usually the expensive part of repairing a washeror dryer so if its old considering the cost of a part & visit ... maybe cancel the repair dude & its time for a new unit?

With 28 yrs as a consumer i would say replace and plan on doing it about every 5 yrs..Washers,Dryers,vacuum cleaners,Dishwashers ,ect,ect
    All are POS and when you look at replacing parts its a close call to just replace unit...Not like you replace a part and it last another 10 yrs...Usually last about a yr or 2.

My 2 cents
    I put forth this question and the question is,
    When i did your mother twice last nite did I get sloppy seconds ?????

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have fixed a few washers & dryers cuz they aren't all that complicated, I would turn it upside down and look for bad connections/wiring/check on web sites that give appliance repair tips

but timers are usually the expensive part of repairing a washeror dryer so if its old considering the cost of a part & visit ... maybe cancel the repair dude & its time for a new unit?
    Washer is less than 4 years old. the only i found online was that the timer was "confused and to try resetting the washer." did that at least according to GE directions since i couldn't find one for whirlpool and it didn't do anythign. it is only going to cost $40 bucks to get the guy out, and that is just to look at it. so it isn't too too bad

I had a Fridgidaire washer that would go through the final spin cycle and still leave everything wet. found out it wasn'ty spinning fast enough, finally it just stopped spinning. tried to fix it but found out the clutch was bad, I tried to order one and every place said it didn't have one. eventually found out it wasn't shown in the parts manual and not available.

unplug the thing and let it sit, then plug it back in & cycle the timer again.

prob no electronics on that, but if it is only 4yrs old maybe?!?

isn't there a balance thingy too that keeps it from spin cycle if it is overloaded or unbalanced, maybe that's it?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by pubes View Post
    With 28 yrs as a consumer i would say replace and plan on doing it about every 5 yrs..Washers,Dryers,vacuum cleaners,Dishwashers ,ect,ect
    All are POS and when you look at replacing parts its a close call to just replace unit...Not like you replace a part and it last another 10 yrs...Usually last about a yr or 2.

My 2 cents
    It sounds like a dirty contact on your timer. The timer is probably the most complicated thing in a washer.

Cleaning ther contacts fixes alot of washer issues. R&R the timer is a bitch because there are so many contacts. When you remove all the wires to get it out to clean it, you have to put it back the way you found it
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Like systemmover... said, a faulty lid switch (or disconnected) will keep it from going into spin.
    Also:
    -- an unbalanced load will shut down the spin in some machines.
    -- a bad timer module (most are still mechanical).
    -- a failed transmission
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

its not an unbalanced load, we just tried a no load cycle on something other than normal and it still ends up with an inch of water in the bottom. i doubt its a lid switch since our washer won't run anything if the lid is up.

i am guessing timer or not up to speed.

According to the repair guy, it's a faulty water level sensor. Our machine auto detects load size and it was confused.. $170 to replace.. It probably could have been a lot worse

Quote Originally Posted by pubes View Post

My 2 cents
    Huh? My washer, dryer, dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, laptop, cd player, dvd player, VHS player (seriously) are all over 5 years old and working fine. My Fender Tremolux is 47 years old and works fine (including all but the two power tubes which were replaced, and the speakers I didn't like.) You must be hard on shit or buying the cheapest crap on the market. I've been a consumer for considerably longer than 28 years. (Can't say the vacuum cleaner gets all that much use though, but the Tremolux definitely does.)