Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Crank Bros: the trail of fail

A history of pedal issues. Overpriced wheelsets that manage to be heavier and less reliable than the competition. A line of headsets that were a big fail. Joplin post acknowledged to be garbage, hence CB extends owners a $150 credit toward...the Kronolog, which is shaping up to be a nice fat fail. A stem design that focuses stress on one small portion of the steerer tube...not a great match for a carbon SID steerer.

How is it that their engineers still have a job? Why were people lining up to get the Kronolog before field reports came in? Does cool industrial design short circuit rational thought processes in customers?

Wait really? They are giving $150 credits for Kronolog buyers already?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Does cool industrial design short circuit rational thought processes in customers?
    Their business longevity despite balsa wood durability would suggest the answer is "yes." The packaging and marketing suggests you're getting Bauhaus cool, like when you get your first Audi.

/retch

A history of pedal issues.
    My personal history with their pedals has been great. On my second pair of Egg Beaters and couldn't be happier. Never had any other CB stuff so can't comment.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Yes, but with the credit from my joplin, i can sell the new kronolog and get a ks for less than a c-note. Crank bros FTW!

Posting here just because

How is it that their engineers still have a job? Why were people lining up to get the Kronolog before field reports came in? Does cool industrial design short circuit rational thought processes in customers?
    Yes.

They should reeeaally get into triathlon gear, CHA CHING!

Xterrorizers worship their pedals like they have some sort of quality or longevity. They need to start making aero bars and time trial pedals....

C'mon Lee, you can do better than that.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

He can'y type right now, he is putting new bearings in his Ti eggbeaters

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    My personal history with their pedals has been great. On my second pair of Egg Beaters and couldn't be happier. Never had any other CB stuff so can't comment.
    You are likely one of less than 20 people in north America that can say this. Have never come across a happy owner. Every time a riding partner buys a cb pedal (eggbeaters and mallets anyway) they've ended up stranded after a short period of use...springs break or get loose, spindles shear (requiring major first aid to stop bleeding in one case). I won't get near them at any price. Bling+marketing/=/sturdy+reliable

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    C'mon Lee, you can do better than that.
    I'm waiting for the Kronolog sheep who paid money - any money for the posts to pipe up. baaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    You are likely one of less than 20 people in north America that can say this. Have never come across a happy owner.
    Yes and no. I think all 20 are off-road triahletes.

During the Xterra race on Maui every fall we do a ton of service on all the age group trust funders $10,000 bikes and they all run these worn out eggbeaters they swear by. Spun bearings, slop and tons of side play and they just coo about how much they love them. Comedy.

I bring in 1/2 dozen pairs once a year of the Ti 'cause if I don't have them they will just go somewhere else... pure gold.

I've put hundreds of miles on the pair of Mallets that came on my bike which I bought used in 2008. They still feel like the day I bought them. Would buy again.

I've broken around 6 pairs of Crank Bros pedals. All different models and years - they all broke within a month or two. I'll never buy another Crank Bros product based on they're awful pedals.

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums

I have snapped the wires/engagement springs on 3 different CB pedals and spun the bearings on another. The last time, both the right and left Eggbeater failed on the same ride.

Unfortunately, the wife and I both have CB on multiple bikes and we like trying to run similar parts across the fleet. Switching over to Time is going to be costly.

Can't disagree with the CB durability, but I love the feel of eggbeaters and I'm certainly not a tri-geek. I have started using the Look Quartz on my main ride though b/c it did get old w/ warranty.

Snapped the spring a few times, which renders them useless to get back out/home. Also recently snapped a Ti spindle while sitting and pedaling uphill, that was not a fun ride back to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Yes, but with the credit from my joplin, i can sell the new kronolog and get a ks for less than a c-note. Crank bros FTW!
    ^^^ Good thinking. Might do that with the next time I need to rebuild a Joplin... they offered me a $125 upgrade to a Kronolog for a recent rebuild, and I decided to go with the $50 rebuild instead.

Fiddling around with a friend's Kind Shock post, I'm impressed. Feels very sturdy. The only thing I don't like is the crude seatpost head; this KS has a single bolt and no micro-adjustment ability. I like the Syncros/Thomson style of two bolts the best, but even the Crank Brothers single-side-bolt gives that adjustability.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Another satisfied CB pedal user. I've been on the same pair of Smarties and Mallets since 2005 and have never had any issues whatsoever.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

I have had Crank Bros. pedals, seatposts and headsets. They are ALL in my junk parts pile. My son's Candy SL's with under 10 rides on them broke last week in the middle of a ride, we had to walk out. So done with CB.

wondering how the Kronolog even made it to the market, as failures were quick and widespread
    Do they test this sh!t ?

Crank Bros = FAIL

EDIT: their multi-tool is OK, I guess
    I love big dumps

TIME Pedals = happy riders, durable

Crank Bros pedals = FAIL

I can only say I am running Iodine wheelset and absolutely love them. I just ordered a pair of Mallet3's after reading Blister's review of them. The customer service there is great, I had some questions getting the wheels set up and they were incredibly helpful. Thanks Tim!
    Be more like your dog...

I've heard CB finally sorted out the freehub issues. But why did it take so long?

I still have a working pair of old mallets. Along with several useless and broken sets of acids and candies from back in the day. Our personal anecdotes are not relevant to the broader picture: CB pedals are unarguably part of their Trail of Fail.

Even their 5050 flat pedal was shit for years. How many Einsteins does it take to screw up a flat pedal?

And CB knew this Kronolog would get them a lot of scrutiny given CBs rep for poor engineering and testing. So, in theory, CB must've done a lot of field testing of the first production batch, right? Or was crack smoking taking up all their time?

Now the CB official statements are saying 'OK the Kronolog is screwed up, sorry. We're busy modifying the materials to solve the issue. But we will keep sending you a replacement post during the 2 yr warranty.'

No doubt. Their CS is pretty good. But how about making a durable product in the first place?

Given the name and reputation of the company I submit that they're on meth not crack.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    I've broken around 6 pairs of Crank Bros pedals. All different models and years - they all broke within a month or two. I'll never buy another Crank Bros product based on they're awful pedals.

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums
    I would have thought that after 5 failures you would have thought to try a different brand. For pedals Time's are the only choice in my mind.