Thread: Maui Time

Maui Time

My son is in Korea, so I'm writing some updates to share my Maui venture with him. Thought maggots might enjoy it too.

So I got a room in a hostel, intending to stay just a couple of days. Bunk beds with air conditioning. But they offered me work/stay so I'm hanging around for the moment. Also got offered work for food on an organic biodynamic permaculture ladeedaa farm upcountry. Very curious how that works and will tour it on Friday.

Everyone is very easy here, not like CA at all, but very similar to Summit County. Laid back and relaxed and easy to find work, at least on a barter system. We'll see how the regular job hunt goes. I'm immediately pegged as a local, maybe because I spent a month getting a tan in San Diego. I have to watch the sun here though, don't want to get too too dark.

It's funny, when the manager asked me to work, he said don't work too hard or fast because I'm hourly. Also doesn't seem to have any set idea of when to start or even which days, it's whenever I like. So I go to the beach if I get hot. Maui time. I think he just likes me and wants me around, but I'm getting stuff done, landscaping in the tropics. Lots of bugs!

I've been with friends in a car all all along the north edge of the island, all the way out past Hana. The northeast side of the island is beautiful beyond description, the rain makes it green and lush. I found some hunting trails, will hike there at some point.

Also went down south to Kihei and will go again today. Most of the breaks here are coral, but there was a sand break down there, pretty large. Took me three tries to duck dive it, had to figure out the timing and the swells seems to have more energy than what I'm used to. The water temp is so perfect. The closest spot to where I stay is called baby beach. The coral forms a very shallow harbor with calm knee high water and families takes their toddlers out to play. I snorkel a little there and tan and watch the sunsets with my new friends. Very pretty spot.

There's always a pack from the hostel that wants to do something. So easy to make friends here, my phone is filling up with numbers. Also at the beach. All the locals are so nice. The Hawaiians are very cool but I'm having so much trouble understanding their talk, gotta keep listening. They like for haole (white) girl to understand pidgin, but I don't think they expect me to speak it. Trying to learn words and names every day. One Santa Cruz girl I'm hanging out with keeps speaking to them in Spanish, it's so hilarious. There is a Mexican lady cleaning the hostel every day with her daughter and I talk to her since she has no English. I think she really appreciates that.

I haven't been surfing yet, can't believe I'm saying that. The Mala wharf has such a tasty looking break, so pretty. But I belong on the inside at the breakwall, the beginner area, for the moment. There's actually a nice outside break right there too. The hostel has a boogie board I'm going to borrow, but as soon as I get settled in a real place I'm getting a surfboard. In the meantime, the Hawaiians are wanting to take me out in their kayaks or let me borrow a board any time. I cut my toe open on a nail and need to give it a couple of days to heal, there's staph in the water.

I've been walking miles and miles, checking out everything from the big houses to the little shacks with their vegetables growing in the back. A lot of places are posted with no trespassing signs, and I'm respecting them until I know a little better which ones are for tourists. There's a social system here, a good one, and it relates to the land use in an interesting way that I'm slowly learning. Some places you shouldn't go without an invitation, although as a peaceful white girl I can be forgiven a lot. Some people here can be aggro, but easy to diffuse with a smile. I don't go out at night other than walking home from sunset, so I'm not dealing with drunks.

I've been running on the beach in the morning, but I have a line on a good bike. I think I'll take a week and ride the entire island before I get tied down to resort work. Also found some yoga close by, will check it out soon. Would like to go to crossfit too.

Mangos are falling off the trees, and they are delicious. I prefer to get them down with a cool device, a basket on the end of a pole, so they're not overripe.

Well, I'm gonna sign off before I start going on too long about the food. Don't want to spend all day on the computer. Next time.

Aloha
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Sounds good, check in, some good parties and things happening soon! Lahaina summer Mangoes and da bomb.

Maui Film festival this week too!

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Sounds good, check in, some good parties and things happening soon! Lahaina summer Mangoes and da bomb.

Maui Film festival this week too!
    Hey thanks for the nice phone call.

So there's some kind of shrubby tree bush growing wild that resembles the mesquite trees where I grew up in south Texas. Vicious woody thorns. I will probably need to get some special inner-tubes for my bike. Should I see you for that, or just go to Walmart? Maybe also get a pump?

I'm heading upcountry tomorrow but maybe I could swing by your shop early in the morning. That is if the bike deal I want goes down this afternoon...
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Love Maui so much, went to king kamehameha school for grade 1, proposed to my wife while surfing out in front of the same school!

Pic of my wife grabbing a mango with the basket on the pole.

Crampedon

Do you know Dean and Rosangela from BC? She seems to be pretty involved in a lot of things around Paia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mangoe.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	117409  
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Ah yes, you speak of the dreaded Kiawe tree, planted by the missionaries to make the hawaiians wear shoes. Long the thornes. You can use airlock sealant, like slime but better and or tires liners like mr. tuffy's and or armadillo tires with the heavy belting and sidewall protection. Carry a pump and tubes here for sure or end up afoot. The shop opens at 9. Corner of Dairy and Hana highway.

-El hefe, have not had the pleasure of meeting your bc friends, will keep an eye out.

Glad you finally made it. How did you like upcountry Maui. Where was the farm? If you like hiking, also check out the trails in PoliPoli area. some of them have really nice views and the ride up the hill is beautiful. Another popular area for hiking and mountain biking is Makawao Forest reserve off of kahakapao road. The bike shops could give you directions. The area isn't big on ocean views, but always cool and a very pretty forest. I haven't been to baby beach in years as my kids are all grown up. But I remember it used to be fun to walk out to the reef dragging the kids on boogie boards. Pretty, but the snorkeling was not so great as i recall. for snorkeling, check out Honolua Bay, black rock at kaanapali, Olowalu, and on south side, Ulua beach and Ahihi preserve. I also 2nd Crampedon's suggestion on Maui Film Festival. Sitting out under the stars watching a film in Wailea is pretty nice. Aloha

Quote Originally Posted by stenou View Post
    Glad you finally made it. How did you like upcountry Maui. Where was the farm? If you like hiking, also check out the trails in PoliPoli area. some of them have really nice views and the ride up the hill is beautiful. Another popular area for hiking and mountain biking is Makawao Forest reserve off of kahakapao road. The bike shops could give you directions. The area isn't big on ocean views, but always cool and a very pretty forest. I haven't been to baby beach in years as my kids are all grown up. But I remember it used to be fun to walk out to the reef dragging the kids on boogie boards. Pretty, but the snorkeling was not so great as i recall. for snorkeling, check out Honolua Bay, black rock at kaanapali, Olowalu, and on south side, Ulua beach and Ahihi preserve. I also 2nd Crampedon's suggestion on Maui Film Festival. Sitting out under the stars watching a film in Wailea is pretty nice. Aloha
    Thanks for the tips. I went upcountry, it was good. Will tell more later. This morning I'm going to crampedon's bike shop for some improvements, then working at the hostel. They are keeping me busy here, wasn't really planning to work so much.
    Henry David Thoreau