Honeymoon Registry

Has anyone used a Honeymoon Registry Site in the past? We've had two showers already for the Future Mrs Sagamoron and have pretty much whittled down the list of things we "needed". As we get closer to the date I'd like to set up a site where people can donate towards that, instead of buying something they think we need. There seem to a bunch out there and wanted to hear from those who used them in the past. Good and bad experiences are welcome.

We are currently using www.honeyfund.com. So far so good. People seem to like it and have figured it out. This one, they "purchase" something for you, like a nice dinner, etc. Gives them a feeling like they are buying something specific.

The only thing to note, with this site, the person does not make pay ment to the site, but instead reserves the gift, prints out the voucher, and puts in a card with a check or cash to give you at the wedding, or mail to you, etc.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Which brings up a serious question. How much am I as a friend of a marrying couple supposed to contribute? As a rule, I do not attend engagement parties, showers or any other lead up to the blessed event.
    I never ever bring a date to a wedding because it is a target rich environment.

My usual gift to the happy couple is $200.

I do make an effort to take the former groom out a few times when they split up to reintroduce him to single life. I usually pick up the tab there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    Has anyone used a Honeymoon Registry Site in the past? We've had two showers already for the Future Mrs Sagamoron and have pretty much whittled down the list of things we "needed". As we get closer to the date I'd like to set up a site where people can donate towards that, instead of buying something they think we need. There seem to a bunch out there and wanted to hear from those who used them in the past. Good and bad experiences are welcome.
    Why not register at VibratorsRUs?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I think the registry idea is a little goofy, but people kept asking us where we were registered, so we put up something at REI and amazon. Got some nice gifts, and other stuff we needed which weren't on the list.

That honeyfund looks like a neat idea as well.

We used honeyfund when we got married and it was great. As mentioned, people can donate to a specific hotel, or dinner, or activity. Made it nice when we were writing out the thank you's to say thanks for a specific thing.

"honeyfund" seems like the opposite of classy.

you get a voucher? like a mothers day "coupon book"??? why not just do a chicken dance at the wedding for cash, sheesh.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Well, my opinion is you are dipping a little far into the pot if you've already got a wedding registry and had a bridal shower. The only reason for a "registery" was so everyone didnt bring you the same present. You are getting greedy at that point. You don't ask for money, its pretty tasteless. I can't think of another reason you would have a honeymoon registry? ive never heard of such a phenom and i if i was you, i would 86 this phenom.

Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    Well, my opinion is you are dipping a little far into the pot if you've already got a wedding registry and had a bridal shower. The only reason for a "registery" was so everyone didnt bring you the same present. You are getting greedy at that point. You don't ask for money, its pretty tasteless. I can't think of another reason you would have a honeymoon registry? ive never heard of such a phenom and i if i was you, i would 86 this phenom.
    You know, I agree with you to a point. I really don't like the idea of picking what I want people to buy, but both of our families are pretty traditional and so are their friends so its really how they want to shop for the wedding. Maybe Honeymoon registry isn't the best term. Its really just another "place" we are registered, that people can choose a gift we selected. After the shower we have been spoken with people who have told us to "add more" since there is nothing left and they don't want to pick something randomly. Our initial registry was really light since we already have everything we need for the most part. Parents friends have also reached out to them and mentioned the same thing. people want to give a gift you need and this seems like a better option than registering for another set of wine glasses we don't need. I also don't want to have to spend a month returning things people bought, we don't need/want.

I agree w/ Cramer, two showers and asking for them to, now, pay for the bells and whistles on your hooneymoon? Pretty fuckin' crazy but if you have people trying to throw money at you, who gives a shit if it's classy or not.

We've actually had a fiance of a friend have the balls to just straight up ask us for cash instead of gifts. This kind of sounds like doing the same thing. They print out a coupon (that actually means dick) and write YOU a check? So they aren't actually getting you anything but it feels like it does to them because they get to fold up a piece of paper to tuck in with the money?

Maybe you could have a Goodfellas wedding where everyone just brings envelopes full of cash.

Congrats on getting hitched. It's exactly the same as it was before except now you can really do whatever the hell you want and she's stuck with you. Keep the house clean without her asking and you'll be good to go. That is seriously the secret to a happy relationship; keep the house clean without her asking.
    The best things in life aren't things.

I fucking hate when people pull this shit. My sister in law had 4 showers, invited my wife to all of them while we lived in Grand Junction, they were in Denver. We had to fucking drive all the way over and get her a gift for each one, then we got them a wedding gift, then there was her fucking bachelorette party. She and her husband both make 6 figures.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

You know, I agree with you to a point. I really don't like the idea of picking what I want people to buy, but both of our families are pretty traditional and so are their friends so its really how they want to shop for the wedding. Maybe Honeymoon registry isn't the best term. Its really just another "place" we are registered, that people can choose a gift we selected. After the shower we have been spoken with people who have told us to "add more" since there is nothing left and they don't want to pick something randomly. Our initial registry was really light since we already have everything we need for the most part. Parents friends have also reached out to them and mentioned the same thing. people want to give a gift you need and this seems like a better option than registering for another set of wine glasses we don't need. I also don't want to have to spend a month returning things people bought, we don't need/want.
    Oh ok, i misunderstood. if it was just another site you registered for that was another option for your guests, then thats cool. I thought it was more than one gift from the guests. Congrats on the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post
    We've actually had a fiance of a friend have the balls to just straight up ask us for cash instead of gifts.
    I wasn't aware that this was so offensive. I've only ever given cash as a wedding gift and I guaranty my shit has never been returned or regifted.

Gift culture itself is insane, the fact that people feel they desirve gifts or have to give gifts according to certain life events is a retarded practice. Here in Japan they take that shit to ludacris level. The amounts your supposed to give and the occations your supposed to give gifts on are mind boggling.

edit:
    Can you imagine moving into a new house or apt and having to go around give hand towels to all your new neighbors?
    Or when you go on vacation your supposed to bring back some kind of cookie or snack for EVERYONE you work with
    And forget about wedding engagements that shit is $500 minimum and you might not even be invited to the wedding

Pretty fucking retarde eh.
    but Japanese punani is oh so tight and I love it here

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    I wasn't aware that this was so offensive.

It is when she's already sent us a shower announcement and wedding announcement both with different registries then after getting them a gift she asks for cash.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post
    It is when she's already sent us a shower announcement and wedding announcement both with different registries then after getting them a gift she asks for cash.
    your right thats pretty obnoxious, give that bitch change for a nickle

we just set up a paypal donations button for our "honeymoon fund" on our wedding website, most people have sent checks instead, a few have done the paypal thing, everybody got the point we want money for a sweet trip instead of handtowels (except for one aunt who sent us an $80 picture frame which will be returned asap)
    "Last one to the bottom is a Coward"

Having just got married a few weeks ago i would say getting cash from people is the best gift you can get. I really don't need extra dishes and stemware or crap i'll never use or want. I'd rather use the cash to pay for the open bar or honeymoon to thailand.

We setup the honeyfund and it worked pretty good. We also used myregistry.com for people who wanted to buy physical gifts as you can list any online gifts from anywhere and don't have to only register at one specific site like bed bath and beyond.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using TGR Forums

Awful..Its amazing how some brides lose their minds and lose all sense of tact. The industry is guilty of promoting the insanity....And crazy a mother in law.

Guests had three options for our wedding.

1. Donate $$ to Alzeimers Assoc.
    2. Donate $$ to MMRF ( cancer)
    3. Give us a bottle of your favorite wine.

Worked great.

It's funny how all this stuff has evolved, isn't it? Couples used to register for their wedding so that their guests could help them set up their new home with all of the kitchen, bath, and bedroom stuff so that they wouldn't have to go out and buy it all themselves. But now most folks get married and they have already lived together (or separately) and have long since acquired most of the stuff they'd need to set up their home together. So you get goofy shit like honeyfund coming up to fill in the gap. Classy it ain't, but maybe classy isn't even part of the conversation anymore.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

^^^ Truth Cruiser^^^

Amazes me that all you guys are complaining you don't want to have to return stemware or picture frames. I get that.

How about NOT registering for stemware and picture frames if you don't need it? Don't let the chick you're about to marry go fucking ape shit with the sweet little scanner thing.

FWIW, we registered once and no one was stupid enough in our families to get us something we didn't ask for. They either got us something off our registry or, if all the shit under $200 was taken, just wrote us a check. Never had to return a thing.

We still haven't been on a honeymoon. That's our fault for getting married before the fad of asking friends and family to pay for it though.

well the idea is come up with an alternative to the Stemware and Picture Frames.

I don't need anyone to pay for my honeymoon or wedding, that's why I have a job.