Thread: Book Review

Book Review

Here is a book review, in three parts going from least to most heavy. Dunno, been on a non-fiction kick lately.

1. The Pleasure of My Company ("PMC") by Steve Martin [Fiction]

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Who would have ever guessed that the comic genius behind "The Jerk" would emerge as one of the greatest fiction writers of our time? Martin has a deft touch with the English language and the ability to conjure vivid characters in a few words. Like other Martin works PMC is short and exceedingly sweet. Daniel Pecan Cambridge (the protagonist) is as lovable neurotic as you'll meet (it doesn't hurt that the story being told in the first person automatically conjures Steve Martin as DPC) and the women swirling through his life are well...vivid. You will laugh, I mean it is Steve Martin after all and you will cry b/c he gets your heart all hooked up and involved and starts tuggin those strings like Yo Yo Ma plays the cello. A really, really wonderful little book.

3.5 out of four Lemons.

2. Fast Food Nation ("FFN") by Eric Schlosser [Non-Fiction]

I am not sure why it took me a few years to pick up a copy of this one and read it. Probably because I've been living a life outside the fast food paradigm for the best part of a decade now, having read The McDonaldization of Society by George Ritzer during the middle 90s I've largely jettisoned patronizing chains, as possible. FFN is kind of a great follow-up to Ritzer's book and views the issue through a somewhat different lens. I guess for me personally FFN was mostly a re-run through truths I already hold to be self evident. But I happen to feel like I have a better handle on how food arrives at the plate than most people. What's that mean? If you haven't got any idea of how food is produced FFN is required reading. I promise, you won't ever look at a burger the same again. I will spare you all my chain screed.

If nothing else and regardless of your worldview; FFN will generate some great questions/challenges for you about how you would like to focus your consumption and what values you hold dear. At the end, I was getting REALLY PISSY as he launched into a series of regulatory and governmental reforms for the fast food problem until he delivers the final coup de grace, which transcends those suggestions in one shining, simple, brilliant moment and made it all worth "it."

Sadly, there isn't much in the way of practical advice for people to go about implementing a change. My long suffering wife is now way more on board with the Lemon Anti-Chain lifestyle after having read FFN.
    Fair Warning: He has some occasionally hard words for Republican politicians.

Really though it is a quality book, one I think everyone should read. Two out of Four Lemons

3. Gulag Archipelago (abridged) by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn (Sole Jen Eat Sin)

Why oh why oh why did I get the abridged version? Cause I'm a lazy idiot I guess (in reality I just didn't see that and thought I was getting Vol. I when ordered). Now of course, after reading the abridged version I'm out to track down all of the unabridged volumes. First of all, let me say that if this doesn't haunt you, you've got something broken inside of you. Solzhenitsyn is not afraid to plumb the depths of Soviet evil and does so with a bravado and sarcastic wit that shines even through the reality of his situation while writing the book(s).

Solzhenitsyn takes you from the very beginnings of the Gulag system through basically to the "amnesty" offered up following Stalin's death. While it is about the gulags, he does touch briefly on other topics such as Western indifference, the Terror Famine, collectivization, application of the "law" etc...

Sadly, there are a lot of lessons here for us at the start of the 21st Century.

At times the abridgement is maddening. It would be worth reading all three volumes to get the whole story of his "confirmed escaper" who gets away but then the chapter detailing his time out of prison is cut

Admittedly, this is not a book for everyone. I have more of an interest in Russian history than average and am a prodigious reader. This book took over a month for me to read (a LONG time by my standards) and the other two books in this review were read during that time as well just to give me some light reading breaks. This book will drag you down emotionally and requires a stout heart with a lot of determination to force yourself to view naked evil with. Despite that, Solzhenitsyn lays in the laughs occasionally (and has a wickedly sharp sarcastic wit) and a current of positive emotion runs through the book as well (not optimism, more like good will).

It is a FANTASTIC book. Highly Recommended.
    Three out of Four Lemons (Loses a Lemon b/c it is abridged)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A note on the Lemon Scale. 3/4 is high praise indeed. Four Lemons are reserved for those works that truly transcend this world. A one Lemon book is still completely readable (I figure why waste time reviewing for you books that are less than that so the "bottom" of the scale is still quite high).

---------------------------
    Started "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain today and the first 1/8th of it ROCKS so far. It gets a tentative thumbs up.
    --------------------------

Yeah yeah yeah, music, books videos BITCH!
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Thanks for the reviews.

I've been sitting on FFN for months. It's a few books back in the chain, but I'm gonna get to it soon. I also got "The Kite Runner" for Xmas, which I'm anxious to get started. I've also got some of ice's stuff sitting in my cd-rom that I'd like to start this weekend. So many books, so little time.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Exclamation

And yet you go to Chiptole, and Chipotle = McDonalds Corp.

Hypocrite

FFN is a tour deforce, especially how food production has changed in America, in reaction to McDemands.

Hve you read Martin's novella "Shop Girl" its great too.

the man has many gifts and is one of the most humble normal people I have ever met,

MUSIC BOOKS AND MOVIES JONG!

that felt good. This was a blatant offense.

STD = No man can live a completely consistent life.

Woodsy - Yes, I've also read Pure Drivel. Shopgirl is really a gem as well. Can't remember who gave it to me but I didn't realize it was that Steve Martin until the end. I'd also steer you to the McD of Society (Ritzer). It is a great look at the soul crushing uniformity of the chain model (which is the main reason I've been boycotting them all these years)
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Kiterunner was one of the best books I read last year. Fantastic. Although Atonement by Ian McEwan is way up there as well.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Duker
    MUSIC BOOKS AND MOVIES JONG!

that felt good. This was a blatant offense.
    Wowh. Think that's the first MUSIC BOOKS AND MOVIES JONG!ing I've ever seen!

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    I'd also steer you to the McD of Society (Ritzer). It is a great look at the soul crushing uniformity of the chain model (which is the main reason I've been boycotting them all these years)
    Interesting contrast to the small-business development book that I was recently reading that held up McDonald's and the whole franchise concept as a sort of pinnacle of how to operate a successful business. Of course, successful in this case meaning $$$. The book made a lot of good points, but there were definitely some parts - creating a system for every position that precisely defines how that position is to be undertaken, for example - that made me cringe. That's part of what I'd be trying to avoid!

Quote Originally Posted by watersnowdirt
    Although Atonement by Ian McEwan is way up there as well.
    YES!
    Have you read Amsterdam? Even better.
    I have his new one being delivered when it hits shelves.
    He is one of the best writers working now.

Haven't read Amsterdam, but have been meaning to. He's amazing.

Enduring Love, which despite having the worst title ever, was fabulous as well. They just turned into a movie which I have mixed feelings about.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by watersnowdirt
    Kiterunner was one of the best books I read last year. Fantastic.
    Agreed. Kiterunner was what I read while I laid on my couch after my surgery. Awesome read. I never would have imagined things coming 'round like they did.

I give it 5 shoes.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Dont you have anything better to do LB? Just to prove the fact that I know I have nothing better to do, I have decided to read the Illiad and the Odyssey just for fun. No, I am not kidding
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

SWEET DUDE! Just got cable AND cable internet so I have to get those "demo" codes from a certain blue hair... NO more reading for me!
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

You still have to read the synopsis for the clips or at least her name... Dont be forgetting how to read with all that cable tv
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    SWEET DUDE! Just got cable AND cable internet so I have to get those "demo" codes from a certain blue hair... NO more reading for me!
    yes,
    relax, give in, dont question, consume consume CONSUME!

you have nothing to fear but muslims and gays, corporations are your friends.

now isnt that lazyboy niiiice.

Friend of mine gave me Amsterdam awhile back. Said I would really enjoy it based on a few things. I have to say, I was really disappointed. It didn't do a thing for me. Oh well.

Haven't looked at Atonement yet.

SaAaH (and shouldn't really be talking seeing as the last book I read was by Dean Koontz),
    d.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor
    I have decided to read the Illiad and the Odyssey just for fun. No, I am not kidding
    Depending on what translation they are quite readable, and awesome. Fun books I'm rereading right now are the "Raj Quartet", i.e. Jewel in the Crown etc. by Paul Scott. Good stuff. Finally threw away Catch22 because I couldn't stand it.
    Elvis has left the building