Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Golf R

Bought a Golf R

What a car.

It has AWD, a ski pass-through, and 3 pedals.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Did yogachik teach you how to do a write up?

on a side note, yes, sweet car.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

nice! that's on my short list.

had the 1st gen R32, love the 4-door option avail. now...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Nice choice. I've got an MKV gti in a similar color. Must be a hoot to drive. Yeah and what about some more detailed reviewage?

So it's like an A3, but different?

Not being a dick - Audi is to VW what Lexus is to Toyota, so what's the equivalent car?

Way better engine than an A3- it's from the Euro S3. Much different car than the A3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    So it's like an A3, but different?

Not being a dick - Audi is to VW what Lexus is to Toyota, so what's the equivalent car?
    As far as I can tell from Audi's website, the A3 can only be had with a stick if you get it with FWD. If you want AWD they force an auto upon you here in the states. The Golf R wins in so many ways. Congrats on the new ride, Plug! Gotta admit, I'm kinda jealous. Sure I have a fun car and all, but I can only drive it half the year up here. Your R will be a great car year round. Can it be outfitted with a roof rack? If so, you might have yourself a mighty fine ski car.

You can't even get the R with an automatic. That's a beautiful thing.

Any MK6 roof rack will work, won't it? I imagine the center exhaust complicates a hitch mount, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Jealous. If i wasn't poor, i would pull the trigger on that car
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

fantastic ride! Enjoy

Sweet rig, AAA+ for a stick.

Did yogachik teach you how to do a write up?
    Pretty much. I was yanking YC's chain. What a car? Why? A jacked up wagon is not my idea of a cool car. We wanted the Allroad they sell in Europe. Plus the Allroad doesn't even come with a ski pass-through. WTF?
    so what's the equivalent car?
    It has the same engine and most parts as the TTS or the S3 which aren't available in the US. So no real equivalent car in the US.
    Can it be outfitted with a roof rack?
    Of course, but we have a 328 xit with a rack and box when we need it, plus a Honda Odyssey with rack for soccer-momming.
    I imagine the center exhaust complicates a hitch mount, though.
    For sure, but prolly will never need a trailer for this car, although a guy on vwvortex did this:

Hey it's new, so I gotta thrash it a bit before a review, but hole-eeee-shit is it a blast so far.

What's your local stealership telling you about the carbon buildup valve issue on these VAG direct injection engines? http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/...-adopters.html

I haven't been keeping track of the audi forum discussions in a while. I know this came up in the Q5 forums.
    Last edited by frorider; 06-05-2012 at 11:03 AM.

That car is on my short list for 2 years from now when I may be able to start seeing a few used ones around.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That car is on my short list for 2 years from now when I may be able to start seeing a few used ones around.
    Good luck with that...
    http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...lf_r_two_door/

Knowing that only 5000 Golf Rs will come to America certainly will keep the resale value of these cars strong, so once you figure in the depreciation (or lack thereof), the Golf R's price seems more palatable.
    As others have alluded, these special-edition Volkswagen Golfs don't come cheaply, but they tend to hold their value. One of my best friends owns a 2004 Volkswagen R32 and it is still worth a lot of money and he knows that the moment he is ready to get rid of it, people will beat a path to his door to take it off his hands for a premium price.

carbon buildup valve issue
    I read up on that, (many threads), had some concern, but it didn't dissuade me. It's with any direct injection engine, BTW. There's always some shit. My A4 had front suspension issues, (after 100K miles of hard driving), that after-market ended up selling a kit to fix. As in; "Did you put in the front suspension kit yet?"
    Frankly, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm hearing it's not that bad with this specific engine, and it's $100/cylinder to clean it out when and if needed, usually after 50K or so.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I guess I should just keep it on the lust list until I can justify pulling the trigger on one...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Definitely a sick ride...but too bad the GTD isn't available in the states.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

GTD isn't available in the states.
    Or any other Golf with 4-motion, esp, the TDI. No more orders for these after August, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I guess I should just keep it on the lust list until I can justify pulling the trigger on one...
    Yup. Same here. Sigh.

i love the golf.

wish they made a hybrid.

i dont believe in all that global warming junk, but i like spending 1/3 in gas over the average suv owner. i mean is it really worth it to drop thousands of dollars a year into your gas tank to be able to see over the car in front of you. used to be for me, but no longer.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    i love the golf.

wish they made a hybrid.

i dont believe in all that global warming junk, but i like spending 1/3 in gas over the average suv owner. i mean is it really worth it to drop thousands of dollars a year into your gas tank to be able to see over the car in front of you. used to be for me, but no longer.
    Is it really worth it to spend amost $50k on the initial purchase of a hyrbrid just to feel all smug about the vehicle you drive? Considering the gross amount you will have to pay to drive a hybrid, only to save a few hundred a year on fuel costs, when the used Suburban I picked up for $10k is not only a safer vehicle, it will cost me far less overall to drive than your hybrid per year. I will gladly pay a few extra bucks a year in fuel if it means my family is the hammer instead of the nail in an accident. On top of that, you will want to kill yourself when your little toy wanna be sports car gets dropped by my super powerful V8 out on the highway.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I read up on that, (many threads), had some concern, but it didn't dissuade me. It's with any direct injection engine, BTW. There's always some shit. My A4 had front suspension issues, (after 100K miles of hard driving), that after-market ended up selling a kit to fix. As in; "Did you put in the front suspension kit yet?"
    Frankly, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm hearing it's not that bad with this specific engine, and it's $100/cylinder to clean it out when and if needed, usually after 50K or so.
    Cool to hear it's not as bad w/ this VAG engine. and $100 / cylinder is plenty cheap. Did you read the link I provided? This issue is not seen with 'any' direct injection engine...VAG's are the worst apparently, but indications are that recently they've been trying to address it w/ their newer DI engines (I think they're still dancing around the issue w/ previous models, blaming it on cheap gas etc).

Looks like a fun car to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I will gladly pay a few extra bucks a year in fuel if it means my family is the hammer instead of the nail in an accident.
    Don't think that being the hammer always means you're safer.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus View Post
    Don't think that being the hammer always means you're safer.
    Yep.
    Check out the crash test ratings, especially on 10+ year old burbans.
    Suburbans also roll more readily than 5 star-rated cars and have soft roofs that squish like pancakes in comparison.
    I'd rather have 5 star car that can actually handle, with 8 airbags, and that meets current roof crush standards for my family.

Nice R btw, too small for my needs, but still kinda want.
    I'm still holding out for the elusive manual/awd/diesel combo in any form!