Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That's sorta funny in it's own way
    more friendly locals in Paris than Colorado...

Years ago I was in the Lake District of England staring at a plate of greasy eggs, fried tomato, and yesterday's toast, trying not to dry-heave, when I overheard two blue-haired locals at the next table describing their recent trip to France to their friend. "The food was dreadful! The vegetables were hardly cooked!"

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Referenced this film (yes i said film) the other day to a room full of people and nobody had any idea what i was talking about. really sad.

When I'm stuck in an eatery with someone who is trying way too hard, or the staff cops an attitude, I slowly turn into Steve Martin in this scene just to have fun. You're right, it's becoming a lost, ahem, flick.

Ya Parisians are not generally fans of Larry. Get on fine pretty much everywhere else in europe though, gypsies in Roma aside.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Lots of good food in Paris, but... I'll take the food throughout most of Italy and Spain over it.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Lots of good food in Paris, but... I'll take the food throughout most of Italy and Spain over it.
    I'm trying to pass this generalization Paris has really good Thai food among a whole host of other cuisines in addition to french whereas exotic food in most of Italy is a kebab

first meal I had in Paris was mexican food, heh.

That's why I specified a "friendly" local. They do exist, or so I'm told.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Wtf? Enchiladas with cream sauce? What wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Agreed. Parisians are some of nicest "big city" folks I've ever met. If you want a-holes, try LA, Madrid or Copenhagen. Those are some real a-holes.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I've found there to be a very noticeable age divide in Paris and France in general. Older than baby boomer generation = not so friendly (to Americans at least). Younger = pretty friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Agreed. Parisians are some of nicest "big city" folks I've ever met. If you want a-holes, try LA, Madrid or Copenhagen. Those are some real a-holes.
    Or NYC. Parisians didn't exactly welcome Benny with air kisses, but coming back to NYC reminded me of what rude really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Or NYC. Parisians didn't exactly welcome Benny with air kisses, but coming back to NYC reminded me of what rude really was.

Naturally biased, but I think most new yorkers are nicer than people give us credit for. What most tourists don't realize is that they are constantly in people's way when they walk .0005 miles an hour hand in hand, 4 abreast(iseses).

We work in/commute through the same neighborhoods where they play- that's 90% of the conflict IMHO. The new Apple store in Grand Central exacerbates this in a big way-

I've heard tourists comment that NYers are generally quite nice and friendly. I get people asking me for directions almost every week, and I always help them, even when they pronounce 'Third' so it sounds like 'Seventh' (figured it out when we switched to French, stupid frogs).
    [quote][//quote]

We work in/commute through the same neighborhoods where they play- that's 90% of the conflict IMHO. The new Apple store in Grand Central exacerbates this in a big way-
    I'd have to agree. I don't live there, but tend to be a non-wandering walker and found myself getting annoyed by a lot of the tourists. When I brushed past them they probably figured I was some asshole local. ;-)

It helps to have sophisticated local friends in Paris who are in the know about fine dining, etc.:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

It sure seems like Paris would have a full range of food options, since it is a gigantic multicultural city...

probably a PF Changs too, if you're in the mood for something salty.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Dated a woman who went to Paris and said that she had trouble finding food also. I broke up with her.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Some of the hardest places to get good French food is France. If the original statement had been outside of Paris I would have agreed.

I've lived in France and commuted through France 4-6 times per year for 7 years, plus numerous vacations there. The issue is that the food is either exceptionally good or really fucking awful.

Very little middle ground. Fuck France and it's shitty attitude to food, they have IMO the best cuisine in the World and manage to constantly ruin it.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

The new Apple store in Grand Central
    My head just exploded.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Quote Originally Posted by DeeAre View Post
    My head just exploded.
    Great place to kill the half hour to your next train.

Grand Central is a NY treasure. Why you should never even think of living in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I've heard tourists comment that NYers are generally quite nice and friendly. I get people asking me for directions almost every week, and I always help them, even when they pronounce 'Third' so it sounds like 'Seventh' (figured it out when we switched to French, stupid frogs).

I meant more the day to day thing between New Yorkers. But, then again, I guess I had no clue what the day to day thing was between Parisians, since I was a fucking tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    The Mecca of Smug. But the French are just assholes.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Learn the difference between cue and queue.

This is like fucking up there and their. They are homophones but have completely different meanings.
    I love it when peeps correct vocabulary and grammar and then go on to make an outrageously bad grammatical mistake in the same post.

Homophone = phonesex for homosexuals. Don't those 900 calls get espensive, meester?

- -
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I was thinking "line em up". Not stage directions.
    Nice recovery--Parvoesque.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    It helps to have sophisticated local friends in Paris who are in the know about fine dining, etc.:

Well...I WAS going to cook up some pasghetti tonight. Scratch that, now.

- -
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."