Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Was just out mowing the lawn when it occurred to me yet another difference.

The requirement to have a Transciever to access large portions of the mountain.

I am not aware of anyplace else with that has so much terrain where access depends on the user to acknowledge that yes, avalanches may occur and I agree to wear an Avalanche Transciever. This has been the policy for a damn long time.
    I liked that very much at bb. Thought it was great as a strategy.

Some places do it when opening terrain and sending just a few ppl in.

Of course a transceiver wouldn't have helped in this particular vail tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The Ridge looks like a complicated area to do AC work on. I bet that's fun for ya but maybe a little stressful at times too. Cool stuff.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I am not aware of anyplace else with that has so much terrain where access depends on the user to acknowledge that yes, avalanches may occur and I agree to wear an Avalanche Transciever. This has been the policy for a damn long time.
    ...but partners, shovels and probes are not required. Not complaining, but I find it an interesting distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    ...but partners, shovels and probes are not required. Not complaining, but I find it an interesting distinction.
    Always nice to find the victim before the local news.

It's only been ten years since the partner requirement went away (with the installation of Slushmans lift)... the Ridge bootpack always needed a partner before.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    The signage at the start of the hike or the bottom of the lift (#9) makes it clear that while not required, all are very good ideas.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Just make it open gate policy like JH.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Just make it open gate policy like JH.

The policy for OB is already just like JH. Thank you.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

At AM some years ago a young woman snowboarder slid down the icy the backside of the traverse to Beaver Bowl and died. Her doctor father tried to sue but CA law doesn't allow it. He also tried to get the law that protects ski areas changed. AM did put up a sign. They also have started closing the traverse when it's too icy even when the bowl itself is safe. I've seen patrol out there chopping out the traverse with axes. That traverse would be safe without the closures or chopping but only for good skiers with edges--certainly not for snow boarders walking.
    The guy started the Snow Sport Safety Foundation, which seems to be self-designated experts rating ski areas on what they consider to be safety. For Tahoe locals--what they consider to be a safe resort is Granlibakken. Some of their standards are pretty ridiculous.

Yeah they dinged us on their ratings for not having pads on our snow making equipment. We don’t have snow making equipment.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Very true, having a transceiver helps a lot with body recovery

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Yeah they dinged us on their ratings for not having pads on our snow making equipment. We don’t have snow making equipment.
    you could easily fix that by putting imaginary pads on your non-existent snow making equipment, ya know.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Very true, having a transceiver helps a lot with body recovery

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    As harsh as it sounds, that is a lot of the reasoning behind the requirement for lift 9.

Easy access to OB that can be a very dangerous place. If everyone who rides the lift has a beacon and something bad happens out there it will help SAR out quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Not a big change but the simple fact that it's now called mitigation work instead of control work is something that changed in the last 15 years or so.
    Similar to when the term 'safety bar' was changed to foot rest, arm rest, etc...seat belts used to be safety belts. Child safety seats are now child restraints.