Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

>110mm above treeline touring ski

It's been 7 days since I took my boots off, the longest bootless period I've had in 180 days. I'll ski again next week when the weather clears, but after that.... 2 months of nothing.

In the meantime, next season's ski for touring above treeline in "good mountain snow" aka, wind funk and variable.

- gotta be light: 2kg/4lbs per ski is about max. Prefer less than that.
    - more than 110mm under foot,
    - purely for touring, no resort, no sidecountry freeriding, mounted Dynafit
    - keeping it short because I'm a greyhound, and to save weight. Around 180cm.
    - big side cut
    - no twin tip, rockered tail is ok.
    - doesn't have to be a charging ski. I ski on mountains, I don't crush them. All I want is my days to be easy because I have so many days it gets tiring if my skis are an effort on top of that hippy hiking I do
    - has to have some ice edging ability, so full reverse sidecut its out

Have had Atomic Atlas at 183. Nice, but tips hooked on windboard and felt kind of pivoty underfoot, a bit too heavy, comfort-fit AT boots felt a bit too unfitted. I sold them anyway.

Currently have BH Maestros. Not sure why I don't like them. They felt sort of washy and dead when not in powder. Also have Wailer 112's, a perfect treeline and below touring ski for me, but I prefer not to have them in less consistent snow windboard and crusts due to the small side cut and twin tip tail (why is it a twin tip?????)

Ideas. keeping it light:

? Lotus 120 in 178
    ? Praxis Wootest with carbon (if they made a 180)
    ? EHP - did I hear a rumor of a lighter touring version?
    ? Voile Drifter
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Life is not lift served.

The Dynafit Huascaran catches my attention in this category. Really light for its size.

I would recommend the drifter, I really like mine, alot of fun in many conditions. maybe to wide? not very durable, but incredibly lite.

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Huascaran: Good call. Triple radius, with 20m in the middle? I'm feeling some serious light-weight love for that ski, but with a W112 in my rack, perhaps too close (in shape, not build and performance). I could imagine the Huascaran as a good tree ski as well, and I really am so happy and at home on the W112 that I am prepared to have a dedicated above treeline ski that is not at home in the woods like the W112 is.

Drifter: yes. Bigger radius, and light.
    Life is not lift served.

Haven't skied it, but maybe the pure-carbon 183 Bro Fat? Some decent reviews floating around the forum. (I think splat sold the last pair on clearance, but I'm too lazy to search gear swap.) I'm loving my 191 Fats for your exact purpose, but they are bigger/stiffer/more work than you're looking for. Only other suggestion off the top of my head would be the L120 or Drifter, so not much help there. Drifter has issues on hardpack, but is supposed to be an amazing bc ski. Can't beat the price either.

Congrats on skiing so goddamn much!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

So much? Man, I had a lame November and a slow half of Dec. Only hit 110 days or so.

Seriously though, for 6 months a year I have boot liners and skins hanging in my sunroom, and a full backpack at the door. I have my problems no doubt, but that alone makes it a fucking great life.

Fat Bros always struck me as a real skiers ski, bias to charge. I have no problems with that at all, except like I said, I need it to be easier, less work. Yeah, I'm a dweeb.

What hardpack issues have you heard for the Drifter?

I don't think this thread would exist other than for entertainment if there was a 180 Wootest.
    Life is not lift served.

A small deviation from your requirements, but 106mm underfoot is pretty close... 180 Praxis Backcountry. Fairly traditional shape with long gradual early rise, 8 pounds/pair at 180cm.

I haven't skied mine yet but I'm looking forward to it next year.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Prior Overlord with the carbon layup, 3800 g at 181. Fairly deep sidecut, I think about 25 m. Moderate rocker in front, very mild in back. Can be had with different tail for skins if you ask factory. Will be more stabile in bad snow than anything mentioned so far.

I feel for versatility above tree line in question able snow, that deep sidecut is a complete disadvantage. That's why I think the EHP is so appropriate for those situations.

They aren't making a lighter ehp for next year. Just a different shape and rocker profile with more or less the same weight. Around 10lbs at 186.

I've been thinking for months of getting Igneous to build me a 110mm under foot (vs 116) EHP, with a touch longer tip rocker, and try to see if we can get them around 8lbs.

This would be my "mountain ski." That is a ski that can hang all of the time in real mountain snow and conditions. And make skiing fucked up snow maybe fun. That's what i find with the EHP, I'd just like to lighten the load a bit.

DRifters...skied mine three seasons... durability good....handles variable winter touring conditions well and surprisingly good for spring mush.....light....skies very different from my 112rp's that I also have in my quiver like you so you don't have to worry about overalap
    Nice tail on the drifter....very stiff, surprisingly so and I like the supportive tail.

Handles windpack, crust and winter variable far better than my 112's ( although I'd still reach for my 112's in good pow conditions) not so hooky.

Very little sidecut though.

Poor mans Lotus 120!!!!! If money wasn't a concern..I'd buy Lotus but for price/performance ratio---drifters are hard to beat.

I've even skied with them in Japan......with YOU!

Can be found very very cheap.
    Last edited by Scotsman50; 06-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Another one to add into consideration - we're offering a new ski called the BackDrop for this fall. 142/112/131 for dimensions with a really light build (1820g), nice rocker profile, flat tail, tip & tail holes for skins. Basically weight of last year's Coomback for another cm of width. I toured on it a bunch this winter, and it's awesome - fits the description of what you're looking for really well.

Mike talks about it here: http://youtu.be/69IbYpk0cb4

Hohes, just out of curiosity: what the hell is the "no resort" part?? like, you have a different fats for the inbounds or...knowing you (freak), you dont ski inbounds?
    Or do you just have the prefix on getting a light pair of fatties for touring that blower (crusty mank)?

Have a midgetish friend that has skied the drifter & 120 and he ended up getting the 120. More of a ski to eurolike conditions, like,that can handle weirdness but is good in soft. He said the voile was good in untracked but in fucked up snow it was a bit tiresome and didnt have as good edge grip on harder snow.

So,the 120 with dynafit & duke inserts, so you could finally start to shred inbounds as well...
    Wanna try them next chirisimasu...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    He said the voile was good in untracked but in fucked up snow it was a bit tiresome and didnt have as good edge grip on harder snow.
    I would say that was an accurate desription between the 120 and Drifter......if cost was not an issue.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Liberty Double Helix 190cm - light, wide, rocker + camber, versatile

If you are using dynafit, I wouldn't worry too much about ski weight. 90% of the weight savings is in boots + bindings.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

The 192 Carbon Fats would be my personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Prior Overlord with the carbon layup, 3800 g at 181. Fairly deep sidecut, I think about 25 m.
    Didn't know about the Overlord. Good one. When you say deep side cut I think of a small radius, 15m. Seems you are using it differently? 25m is heading in the direction of bigger radius/shallow sidecut. I think that was what Jrainy was saying as well, which I agree with.

Scotsman - I remember you on the Drifters. Come back some time and I'll throw you in my van on my free days and we'll go for another day or three of good touring, nice and casual.

3pin - nice looking new K2 ski. I'd ski that. What's the radius? Probably not quite enough of dedicated alpine snow ski though.

mtskier - gotta say I don't agree I really notice a lighter ski on my foot. 500gms per foot lighter makes a difference. I skin a lot, and it adds up. Pure Wailers 'ruined' it for me. Set a standard in weight v width.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Hohes, just out of curiosity: what the hell is the "no resort" part?? like, you have a different fats for the inbounds or...knowing you (freak), you dont ski inbounds?
    Why do you ask questions I can't answer without people getting all self-justified and offended? Here goes: I don't ski in resort ever if I can avoid it except perhaps 10 days a season, mostly on intermediate groomers helping my previously snowboardng wife get better at skiing. She's already spring touring with me, so it is paying off. If I skied inbounds or sidecountry I'd be less strict about the weight. I just really live being in terrain on my own free terms and learning about stuff. And the resorts where I live suck balls.

Pity no light weight EHP.
    Life is not lift served.

Was gonna say Moment Ruby, but you'd have to hack off the tail. (wouldn't be hard since there's no edge for a couple inches.)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The new EHP is called the HOJI. It's fully reverse camber, but has a matching sidecut so it edges really well in crud (ala the Renegade). They are a little lighter than the EHPs, but they aren't quite sub 8 pounds for the pair in 179.

Maybe a little thin in the waist but an option. (and they like the Eiger
    Got something cooking in a 185 (127-107-121. Sub-4KG) around the the same weight too....more to come on that in a few weeks. Contact me anytime with questions.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Was gonna say Moment Ruby, but you'd have to hack off the tail. (wouldn't be hard since there's no edge for a couple inches.)
    If you plan on going that extreme, just get the Jag Shark which is essentially a tip-rockered flat tail Ruby with 4mm more at the waist. The 182 length comes in around 9 lbs.

Nice Withnail ref.

Another vote for the hoji. Not THAT light as huascaran and drifter, but likely more fun and easy. They ski very short.

im using the downskis countdown 2 for the exact same purpose, but they are heavy and only come in 190cm anyways... but an interesting and imho underrated ski is the black diamond amp. comes in a very short 185cm and is super easy to ski in basically any kind of snow... not much rocker in the tail, no real twintip as well, the tail is turned up quite a bit though... i do not know the exact weight, the skis feel light, but im sure they arent superlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    So much? Man, I had a lame November and a slow half of Dec. Only hit 110 days or so.

Seriously though, for 6 months a year I have boot liners and skins hanging in my sunroom, and a full backpack at the door. I have my problems no doubt, but that alone makes it a fucking great life.
    you can go skitouring in japan for 6 months? thats cool, i didnt know that. well, with the amounts of snow there, i probably coud have figured it out...

freak~[&]

Something from BD's new carbon range? Megawatt

But hard to beat the Drifter given it's price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

the carbon megawatt is 2100g per ski.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com