3x9 to 2x9 Questions!

So I picked up a 2011 Giant Reign 2 for song and need to upgrade some of the stock parts. See stock parts list below.
    Thinking of going from a 3x9 to a 2x9 and have a couple of questions. Lots of other upgrades to happen as-well.
    1. Will I need to change my front derailleur currently has an SLX?
    2. What gear ratio should I get for Colorado? 26-38?
    3. Should I just stick to the 3x9?
    4. What gear ratio on the rear?
    Thanks,
    Danadog.

Shifters
    SRAM X.5, Trigger
    Front Derailleur
    Shimano SLX, Direct Mount
    Rear Derailleur
    SRAM X.7
    Brakes
    Shimano M445, [F] 180mm [R] 160mm
    Brake Levers
    Shimano M445
    Cassette
    Shimano HG30 11x34, 9-Speed
    Chain
    KMC HG-53
    Crankset
    Shimano M542, 22/32/44
    Bottom Bracket
    Shimano Press Fit

Easiest way is to just take off the outer ring, slap a bash on, and adjust the limit screws of the FD. If you find you want bigger gearing, upgrade those later. Swapping cranksets is an unnecessary cost IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums

Is there a way to get it so you don't cross chain? I fucking love my granny gear. Might eventually get a 24t, but whatever.
    Would love if I could use all 9 gears back there.
    Then eventually shorter derailleur.

Would one just get a 2X10 crank and adjust the derailleur stops? Would you have to replace the rings to keep the 9-speed chain from falling off to easily?
    22/4-34/6 whatever not sure would prolly be sweet.
    Gear ratios are hard.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Depends on why you want to go 2x9. I did it so I could run a chainguide and eliminate chainslap - probably can't do this with a press fit bb unless you have iscg mounts. But eliminating chain drop/slap is totally worth it.

I would just take of the outer ring, put on a bash, and adjust gearing as need. Chainrings are fucking expensive

1 No, adjust the stop.
    2 I like a 24/38 for a 2x9(+bash) and do not live in colo
    3 No
    4 Use what ever rear combo works for the type of riding you do/ability. I am pretty happy with 11/36 out back.

Upgrade to a med cage rear derailleur in the future and replace the chain with a shorter one. Happy trails on the new ride.
    watch out for snakes

I'd say keep the 22/32 rings you have now and throw on a bash. Before you spend cash on rings, ride a bit and make sure your system is working. After a hundred miles or so you'll have a better feel for whether you could be using more or less range.

You could upgrade the shifters and derailleurs to used x9 for probably $100 bucks (less if you just do the rear shifter/derailleur). On top of that, you could get an XT 11-34 cassette off ebay with low miles for $30-50 bucks and drop 100+ grams.

why do you want just the 2 rings?
    wieght?
    hitting the rings?
    look cooler?

Stick with the 3x9 for now. If you don't have a reason to change, don't. Just because 2 x 9/10/whatever is the hot shit right now does not mean that it will dramatically alter your riding experience. If you're bashing your big ring into stuff, or you can't handle the complexity of 3 front chainrings, it's easy enough to switch to 2x9 at a later date.

As the other comments have eluded to it depends on why you want to swap. Personally the front derrailleur is the last thing I'd upgrade. SLX is fine. The fronts job is pretty simply to move two shifts the the right, that doesn't take a lot of complexity. SLX is fine. Your other three depend upon one another. If you end up with an 11-32 cassette you may want to stick to a 22 in the front but if you go to an 11-36 can jump to a 24 or 26 and still have the roughly the same ratio of 1.45. Honestly I think it's lighter to go to an 11-32 cassette and run the 22 up front and the 11-32 X0 9 speed cassettes can be had pretty cheap. If you stuck to your 22-32 setup with an 11-32 I believe you could run a short cage derailleur and limit your chain slap and rear der profile. However, you would probably give up the ability to go much over a 34 or 36 on your second ring, if that is your fancy. Personally I'm slow up and down so a 22/32 or 22/34 is plenty for me, your mileage may vary.
    Driving to Targhee

I want it because I like the idea of not stabbing myself in the leg. I never use the big ring. I also ride downhill left-foot-forward, so the 44t is toast. I would love to be able to use more than about 5 gears in the granny gear.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I ended up picking up a 3x9 Xt drive train so it looks like I am sticking to the 3x9.
    Thanks for the insight.