Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rear Deraileur question.

So I TOTALLY fucked up my derailleur today. Broke the hanger, cage (both sides), and broke one of the pulley wheels. I'm sure it's possible to rebuild, but I'm thinking replacement is maybe more likely.

One of the reasons I love my wife.... Her first question was "Well, you might as well use this as an opportunity to upgrade.."

The one I broke was the new '12 XTR Shadow plus (M-985). That thing is pretty high end, so I don't know if there is a hell of an upgrade available for the derailleur itself, but I think the SRAM trigger shifters are better.

What if I got a SRAM XX Trigger shifter and an XX Rear Derailleur? Worth it?
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

just replace what you broke, odds are you hit something HARD to do that much damage, and ANY brand, or model would blow up.

Oh, I totally agree Dave. I'm not saying that. I'm just wondering, since I have to buy a new derailleur anyway, is the SRAM setup a nice upgrade?
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

I think it would be weird to have a Shimano front shifter and SRAM rear, they just feel different. Seems like a waste of $$ in my opinion, but if you want some carbon bling then maybe consider bars instead. Or a seat dropper.

Finstah Guest
    I believe any Sram drivetrain components would be a downgrade from Shimano M-985.

SRAM vs. Shimano is a debate you'll need to answer for yourself. Personally, I'm all SRAM. Also, I wouldn't mix since the leverage rations are no the same. SRAM is 1:1 and Shimano is just a bit more.

XX is some nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    I believe any Sram drivetrain components would be a downgrade from Shimano M-985.
    A couple of my buddies that are way into bikes just told me the same thing.
    - Phunk

Maybe downgrade to what you never broke before.

Buy cheaper derailleur and use the difference from the XTR to buy something less likely to break. The expensive rear der. never really made sense to me since it's hanging out there waiting to get smashed.

Upgrade to a single speed. It'd be, like, ironic and shit.

Seems like your existing/smashed rear der is really nice as it is why not just get another? But if you are curious and want to spend some relatively unnecessary coin on switching to sram go for it. Then you satisfy your curiosity if it really is any better if it isn't sell it and go back to XTR.

I'm going to get the same thing. Just thinking out loud since no bike shops were open today and I was pissed off that I broke this thing and couldn't do anything about it. I'll spend the unnecessary coin on XTR Shifters. I have SLX now.
    - Phunk

I would downgrade so that you're not out so much money the next time it breaks. Like if you want Sram go for X9. That way you're not out $250 every time you bash it on a rock. The rear derailleur's job is not complex, but it will break at some point.

Spending the coin on better shifters will give you a bigger performance benefit (in other words, XTR shifters+SLX derail > SLX shifters+XTR derail
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

I see most drivetrain parts as disposable. Derailleurs break, cassette's wear out and chains stretch. I run all X9 because its reasonably priced. Replacing XX and XTR stuff ain't cheap. Spend your money elsewhere on a bike, a $300 derailleur will break just as fast as a $80 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    SRAM vs. Shimano is a debate you'll need to answer for yourself. Personally, I'm all SRAM. Also, I wouldn't mix since the leverage rations are no the same. SRAM is 1:1 and Shimano is just a bit more.

XX is some nice stuff.
    10 spd xtr and sram are both ~1.3 ratios.

i, personally, would take a 10spd XTR shifter over an XX shifter every day of the week, and would take an XTR shadow+ derailleur over any derailleur sram has ever made, just FWIW.

that said, i would probably take a full x9 setup over a full xt setup as well.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    10 spd xtr and sram are both ~1.3 ratios.
    I thought the 10 speed shimano stuff was using some sort of variable ratio ridiculousness?

/drift

~1.3 = about 1.3
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

~1.3 = about 1.3
    I'd read that it varied from ~1.8 to 1.9.

9spd shimano xt is ~1.7:1
    9spd sram is 1:1
    10spd sram is 1.3:1
    10spd shimano is ~1.3:1

you know how the sram requires a ton of slack and space in the derailleur at the 11t cog? shimano does not, and that is where the variable deal is. the rest of the range is 1.3:1, according to the shimano and sram reps... which, frankly, could be just as good chance of being wrong as right!

where did you hear 1.8-1.9?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

9spd shimano xt is ~1.7:1
    9spd sram is 1:1
    10spd sram is 1.3:1
    10spd shimano is ~1.3:1

you know how the sram requires a ton of slack and space in the derailleur at the 11t cog? shimano does not, and that is where the variable deal is. the rest of the range is 1.3:1, according to the shimano and sram reps... which, frankly, could be just as good chance of being wrong as right!

where did you hear 1.8-1.9?
    Ok - I'm with you on the 9 speed stuff. I thought 10 speed SRAM was still 1:1? As for Shimano, I saw the 1.8 - 1.9 thing in a couple different spots on the interwebs, which obviously carries just as much possibility of being wrong. Of course, I don't think it really matters one way or the other - I'd just rather geek out on bike stuff than do work.

I have a new in the box XTR shadow at the shop you can have for $145.

Can get it out priority today if you hit me back soon.

the 9spd stuff is 1:1
    http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/technologies/1..1

10spd uses EXACT ACCTUATION, which reapplies their old 1:1 to a new 10spd application. read the text closely. they never say exact actuation IS 1:1...it is 1.3. you cannot use a 10spd rear derailleur with a 9spd shifter. they pull different ratios. you can, however use a 10spd xt derailleur on a red road shifter (not tried any other combos personally), but they do intact pull the same ratio.

exact actuation is still linear, the slope is just 30% steeper.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    I have a new in the box XTR shadow at the shop you can have for $145.

Can get it out priority today if you hit me back soon.
    Thanks for the offer! I just sent you a PM.
    - Phunk

the 9spd stuff is 1:1
    http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/technologies/1..1

10spd uses EXACT ACCTUATION, which reapplies their old 1:1 to a new 10spd application. read the text closely. they never say exact actuation IS 1:1...it is 1.3. you cannot use a 10spd rear derailleur with a 9spd shifter. they pull different ratios. you can, however use a 10spd xt derailleur on a red road shifter (not tried any other combos personally), but they do intact pull the same ratio.

exact actuation is still linear, the slope is just 30% steeper.
    Cool - good to know.

Carbon fiber: Just say "no"
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.