Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Spinal Stenosis, Severe Osteoarthritis: Doc Advice: permanent lifestyle modification

Warning: journal-style post written on my phone, expect poor writing and hopefully some edits to clean it up a bit.

I got an injection on 1/4. The days leading up to it were pretty awful, I would go in and out of feeling a constant burning in my ass at best to acute sciatica shooting down my leg and up my back at worst every 6-8h. Ibuprofen stopped having an effect. By the evening of 1/3 it had gotten so bad I couldn’t make a step without triggering it, I had to go to the full fetal position just to try and find some relief.

I haven’t had symptoms like this since Christmas 2017. That time around I was skiing, I had noticed my back wasn’t doing that well. I managed to hit a freaking snow snake and fell face first trying to ski down to the car. That event left me unable to walk for a few days, acute for weeks and off skis for 6+ weeks. The pain was more localized and far less prone to sciatic pain shooting up my back and down my leg. I was still pretty fucked up, I looked so off that my parents’ pets didn’t recognize me.

Back to the present: I felt well enough to limp into an appointment with a physiatrist the morning of 1/4. There was no event or trauma that triggered this most recent pain episode. From winter 2018 to the spring of 2021 I had my best years of being symptom free since I began experiencing chronic back pain in 2012. In 2021 I started noticing in signs that I might have issues again in May, so I began to incorporate more attention and treatments into my routine. Stopped playing hockey in early September. By October I was chasing every treatment I could think of, fearing the worst was yet to come. November and December were substantially worse and I no longer felt up for most of my exercise routine (cycling, running, early season skiing etc).

Now I’m 11 days from the injection. I got my walking gait back a couple days ago. I can almost walk a mile on flat ground without having to stop. My sciatica is now far more mild and localized to the lower back. Walking downhill triggers it the most out of the activities I’m able to do.

Hopeful I can begin to do some easy-going skiing in a few weeks, and get back to skiing faster a couple weeks after that. Not looking forward to figuring out where my cardio is at.

Appreciate you guys sharing your stories.

Physio, lotds of physio and core strengthening and "safe" stretching(do them correct and dont try and over do it). Walking and stationary bike, no running. I'd skip the hill too. Heavy hard impacts should be avoided at all costs. Dont risk going into spsm again for 2 years minimum. At about the 2 yr point of no spasms your tendons will have recovered from being stretched abd that will give a shit ton of spinal support together with the physio/core exercises you've been doing daily . Ar the very least stretching will continue 9 out of 10 days. I'd go ski touring after rhe initial 8 -10 weeks of physio. Start very slow and dont go far. 2-4 recovery days and go again. Ski touring is great because our bodies are designed to walk and there wont be the pounding or super dynamic position recoveries at speed over hard snowpacks that happen on the ski hill. If you get 20 or 30 days i'd call it a win. Chances are you'll double that the next year. Avoiding going into spasm should be the focus. 2 years. Physio core and stretching are key as well as posture and no dynamic movement

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app