Thread: Skynyrd

Skynyrd

Lynyrd Skynyrd at Carb Day in Indy tomorrow. Perfect venue. Should be good for some craziness.

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...b-day-concert/

Can't do the "post" Skynyrd, I wish I could, kinda.

I was at Cape Cod Coliseum June 26, 1976 though. Sixteen years old and bangin on the walls.

(not from that show)

When I was very young, I remember distinctly thinking that both lynard Skynard and led zepplin were both actually the lead singers in their respective groups...

lynard as a derivative spelling
    of 'leonard', I suppose....and 'led'...well it sounded sorta like a Scandinavian-American first name. I hadn't yet known that a 'zepplin' was a balloon, and thus would have missed the irony of 'led zepplin' or 'lead balloon', having thought 'Zepplin' merely a family name.

As I had said...I was young.

--
    EDIt: I DO love me some old Skynard...but lynard Skynard a full thirty plus years past their prime???...don't expect too much craziness.

the only one who seems to pull off having as nearly an energetic set of stage antics as when he was a young and in his prime is Mick Jagger. I know Mick, for whatever idiotic reason reason' is bsically shunned and hated by mags' but the fact is he StIll puts on a good show.

Can you say the same for Brian Wilson...Nearly catatonic in front of the keyboarD?

--
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 05-25-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Dale Krantz Rossington was my baby sitter in elementary school. Very musical family, her little sister was a year older than me and ended up singing for 38 Special. They fucking rock!

Some bands may be past their prime, but they've been practicing for 40-50 years?
    I saw BOC last weekend in a really small venue w/alcohol, 3 minutes from my house. They killed it!
    I'll take that over a big name, in a stadium any day.

I tend to agree...I've had more great and memorable experiences at small venues than at big stagiums with a press of people.

guys like Bob Dylan stiill
    like playing at small venues like coffeehouses and bars every now and then...bringing himself full circle bwck to his roots. Bruce Springsteen has been known to surprise local bar-goers in Rumson and Redbank NJ by stepping up to the bar stge with his acoustic guitar...Bruce has always kept his roots close to him. Not so sure if the sake can be said for the likes of Jagger or David Axel.

I did a wki search on lynyrd Skynrd and found out they were named after leonard Skinner...so was't too far off as a child !

--

EDIt: the "Big keys" touchscreen keyboard app for smartphones on Android Markey absolutely SUCKS...don't donload it. It ' s free and you get what you pay for!!!

No capital 't' or 'l' and the keyboard layout leads to too many miskeys!

Freebird

great great show. Skynyrd Nation! Just a great band. Saturday Night Special and Simple Man were highlights. I forgot how many hits they had and they sounded better than ever.

Simple Man = one of my favorite Skynyrd songs. Did they play "On the Hunt" or the "Ballad of Curtis Loew?"(<-Unlikely)

New documentary out on Showtime and Prime I think.

I enjoyed it.

When the farmer found the plane crash he thought “hippies?, what in the hell? Hippies don’t fly”. Or something of the sorts.

https://youtu.be/Loo320c79aI

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The last time that I saw Skynyrd was on Oct. 15, 1977 at the Hollywood Sportatorium in Miami....3 days before the crash.

This is definitely related to the "Shrooms" thread
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    The last time that I saw Skynyrd was on Oct. 15, 1977 at the Hollywood Sportatorium in Miami....3 days before the crash.

This is definitely related to the "Shrooms" thread
    They used to pick shrooms off the cow crap, brew tea and write songs in the swamp shed.

Swamp Music!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

They played near my house a year before the crash, at the Beacon Theater. I was already a fan, but was way too young to go.

I did finally see them many years later, late 80s maybe? Wasn't the same, but still great, with Ronnie VZ's younger brother on lead vocals.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

LS have been one of the constants on the playlist forever. Can always play some skynyrd

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    They used to pick shrooms off the cow crap, brew tea and write songs in the swamp shed.

The 70s in Florida was a good time!

My favorite...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    The 70s in Florida was a good time!

My favorite...

I don't have a favorite but that's such a badass song. Love that tone on the guitar, Ronnie's voice, all of it.

It was forty two or so years ago today that I showed up at my friend's house early in the morning because we rode to school together. He told me a plane crashed last night with Skynyrd on board. I remember it like it was yesterday..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!