Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2013 Praxis Skis

So it looks like the new batch of skis, for 2013, are up on the website. Well, the picture are anyway, names and dimensions are still a mystery. Looks like some new interesting shapes, for some very specific types of skiing/purposes.

The skis are divided into three categories: touring, all mountain, and powder

Touring looks to have the wootest and backcountry, plus a very touring specific ski

All Mountain looks to have the pow rx, mtn jib, and freeride, plus a kid's ski, a 100ish underfoot twintip, a fat all mountain ski,

Powder looks to have the BPS, Protest, Powder Boards, plus a swallowed tail powder slayer, and an RP 112 paddle like ski without the slalom sidecut.

I'm super excited for the new lineup. I just hope for Keith's sake he doesn't run into the same issues he did last time he expanded the lineup with custom options.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Looks good for teh most part... the "swallow" tail confuses me
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Thumbs up. Praxis rules. Stoked to see some skinnier models in the lineup.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

what a cock tease......

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    what a cock tease......
    It's summer. I'll take a tease over nothing at all.

As soon as Keith posts info I'll update this page and then we can all leave satisfied.

"Errare Humanum Est"

I hope he learns not to put the ski specs in a god damn pdf.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

i will add the grom ski for my boy into our praxis quiver
    i love my pow rx

Holy balls! Praxis finally made the ski I've been wanting for YEARS now...

...the Yeti. 94mm waist, rockered, lightweight, stiff...and 23mm sidecut. HELL YES

http://www.praxisskis.com/shop/buy-skis.html -> specs are no longer in a pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post

...the Yeti. 94mm waist, rockered, lightweight, stiff...and 23mm sidecut. HELL YES
    +1. FKNA awesome.

But I wonder how much different they'll really be than my 181 Hardsides...though they are listed as almost a full pound lighter. Also...stiff vs medium/stiff...

...too many damn decisions now that they've got 6 more models and custom flexes. It was hard enough deciding on skis.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Anyone know how the flex rating (soft, medium, medium/stiff, stiff) compares to their Flex Meter number?

^^ For the WooTest, the "medium" flex was their standard flex. But that was before they added the "medium/stiff" option.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Bumping because all the new info is up. Check it out! Keith really wasn't kidding. You get to choose: topsheet, flex, and whether or not you want to add a carbon fiber hybrid layup.

Holy CHOICES Batman!!!

The new sub 100mm underfoot additions (i.e. The Yeti and the Piste Jib) may be category killers, and not just among indy companies.

"Errare Humanum Est"

Man, that is a huge range of skis. Really cool. He makes a really straight ski, though (for my tastes.) Freeride looks sweet. What does he mean by "base length"? The tape measured along the back of the ski? So the ski is, what? 5cm shorter? How does that work?
    Any way to demo them in Missoula? For curious purposes only. Concept and Freeride look awesome.
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 05-21-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The man himself answered my question.....

http://praxisskis.com/company/pre-order-information/

Soft = 5.5 Medium = 6.5 Medium/stiff = 7.5 Stiff = 8.5

Wow. Med/Stiff Yeti is calling ny name for an intro into the koolaid that is the lightweight world. Problem is that means more expensive bindings and new boots..

Wasn't thinking I had to justify a ski purchase this summer, but at least that will give me time to get the rest of the gear together by fall and see what this 'tech' fuss is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Wow. Med/Stiff Yeti is calling ny name for an intro into the koolaid that is the lightweight world. Problem is that means more expensive bindings and new boots..

Wasn't thinking I had to justify a ski purchase this summer
    Dammit, I feel the same way. Pretty sure I want the stiff option though. I think I'm gonna have to go with the Knotty Pine print. Wish I could afford the wood veneer.

Guess that means they don't make flexes 6 or 7 anymore?

photos

I thought I had my mind made up that a pair of Protests were in my future, but now I can't decide between the Protest and the Ullr.

The only thing that confuses me slightly with this years flex options is the way they correlate to the flex meter. It seems strange that 2 flexes, the medium/stiff and stiff are both equal to or stiffer than any flex offered last year. I don't ever recall hearing that Praxis' were noodly.
    Last edited by glademaster; 05-22-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I thought I had my mind made up that a pair of Protests were in my future, but now I can't decide between the Protest and the Ullr.
    That seems strange to me, given the drastically different shape and turn radii of the two skis. The Ullr looks (on paper) very similar to the Bent Chetler. The Ullr doesn't really appeal to me.

I'm sure I'll catch shit for this from kidwoo and the Protest-loving crowd, but, personally, I thought the Protest was too soft for my tastes. Now, Drew Tabke clearly doesn't have that issue and he is WAY better than I am, but I really loved the stiff flex of my bamboo 202 L138s (can't say enough good things about that ski!). I would love to jump on a pair of stiff 196 Protests just to confirm that it was the flex that I wasn't stoked on. If you want to ski tight trees and/or are really small, I bet the 187 in medium/stiff would be money.

photos

The new Praxis lineup looks sicks. Good to see a couple more shapes with some EC potential. Need something to compliment my Wootests on the hard(er) stuff. Tough decision ahead. Jib, Yeti, Backcountry, Freeride...? Some stiff Jibs could be the ticket.

Ooh, like the looks of the Yeti, just about exactly what I've been looking for. Almost like a modernized Volkl Explosive.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Ooh, like the looks of the Yeti, just about exactly what I've been looking for. Almost like a modernized Volkl Explosive.
    Yeah but with carbon fiber instead of titanal, rocker, and a 2 to 1 weight ratio.

"Errare Humanum Est"

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post

Agreed. This is a small big-deal. Of course I just bought some Voile Vectors...

The new specs layout is very good as well.
    Life is not lift served.

Bumping because Keith is the man. If you need skis, give the guys stuff a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Keith is indeed a champ, typing this with my laptop on pow boards i copped for $300 from the website itself, cheers!

So...business, the oscillating sidecut in the yeti? magna-traction for skis? How does that perform on blue ice? Also, any weight savings between stiffnesses?